Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-05-2010, 12:40 PM

Default Trapping techniques with a trail camera

I'm heading out this weekend to set my trail camera up with the hopes of getting some lynx pictures. I did a search in the trapping section and got some good advice from the regulars. Visual attractants like small mirrors, rabbits foot or a feather dangling from a string. Also scent, I can get some beaver castor and some catnip. Any other tips would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Banned

Unless there is a lot of evidence of lynx and RABBIT especially in the area , I hope you can hold your breathe for a long time or you have good cold weather batteries. Joking aside, what you have in mind , is about all you do ... good luck with your endeavors.. Hope you might post some pics on this site..
Old 02-05-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Unless there is a lot of evidence of lynx and RABBIT especially in the area , I hope you can hold your breathe for a long time or you have good cold weather batteries. Joking aside, what you have in mind , is about all you do ... good luck with your endeavors.. Hope you might post some pics on this site..

We have lots of lynx in the Grande Cache area Doug. The rabbit population is ok, nothing like what it was in the 80's though. Will definately post some pics if successfull. Would this set up work on cougars, wolverines and what ever else that is out there?
Old 02-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Banned

I guess if I were keying on the other critters, as you mentioned, I might use some other attractants as they would prob. be more effective in drawing them in from out further. But whatever comes down the trail will be fair game for your cam.
Funny thing, just about all day I have been with the email and Moultrie, trying to get some satisfaction on a faulty camera. Have been trying to get them to make contact with me for the last 4 months, atleast. Now just the other day they get back to me, saying this is the first they've heard of me --- and wouldn't you know it , my warranty lapsed one month ago, so apparently, I'm SOL... Pls., don't everyone tell me -- " I told you so"
Old 02-05-2010, 06:05 PM

I went out this afternoon to set some rabbit snares for bait a couple of miles South of G.C. . I pulled into one of the Willmore staging areas where some one had dumped a couple of deer hides and meat scraps and skulls. All kinds of tracks were around it including lynx. I'll go out tommorrow and clean it up and will use the big chunks of neck meat for bait for my camera. Kinda makes you wonder with hunting season being over for 2 months already, some of those meat scraps looked fairly fresh.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Banned

Does it REALLY make you wonder ?? Not me !!!
Old 02-09-2010, 06:39 PM

The only daytime pics were of ravens lots and lots of ravens. I was surprised to see a deer sniffing around the meat scraps although it would have been cool to get a shot of something stocking it. To bad the lynx picture wasn't a little clearer, I'll have to make a better set up next time.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:55 PM

Nice pics Dave. Cool to get the cat on there. Hope you get some more good ones!
Old 02-21-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
Nice pics Dave. Cool to get the cat on there. Hope you get some more good ones!
Thanks Rocks, I put my camera out again yesterday. This time with a small mirror, some beaver castor and catnip sprinkled on the ground. Hoping to get some day time pics this time.

I'll be searching for some road kill next weekend for some cougar and wolf pictures.