Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-14-2010, 08:59 PM

Default Snaring Jack Rabbits

Howdy, Trying to snare a Jack Rabbit. I would like to add it to my small mammals taxidermy collection. However to date the rabbit seems to be smarter than the snarer.

I have had him twice, but he's broken my snares both times. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong?

I've used copper wire and steel wire, but both times the snare was busted clean.

I am setting on a tiny funnel into their favourite tree well that they hang out under during the day. The other location is under a fence with another funnel they use to go exploring during the mornings and evenings.

Anyway any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:49 PM

go to Crappy Tire and get some 1/16th aircraft cable and make your snares out of that. As long as you crimp the ends right your snare should hold about 250 lbs IIRC.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 02-14-2010, 10:50 PM

Default Sounds like a plan

Thanks, I'll drop in there tommorrow. I've made coyote snares before so the crimping won't be a problem.

I'll post how I make out in the next couple days.

Thanks again,

Regards,
Old 02-15-2010, 09:15 AM

If you set your snare on a stick with a little bit of give it is less likely to break. If it is set on something stiff like a fence post or large tree it will break much easier.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:25 PM

Default Thanks

That's good advice as well. I have tweaked the setup, I'll let you know how things pan out over the next couple days.

Cheers,
Old 02-15-2010, 07:39 PM

Are you sure the rabbit broke the snare or could a coyote have possibly helped himself? I have had several rabbits in coyote snares but have NEVER found anything but the head....coyotes always beat me to it!

The purpose of having of having a stiff hold is for a quick kill.....that said, I have never purposely tried to snare a rabbit.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:24 PM

I have done lots of rabbit snaring and if you use regular rabbit wire on a stiff hold it most likely not be a quick kill because the snare will break most every time. that being said you can't put it on a small twig eather you have to find a happy medium. I also forgot before you set your snare you should always wrap it around a tree and pull it back and forth like you are trying to saw the tree down too get any kinks out of the wire. The kinks will create weak points and cause your snare to break.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:35 PM

I grew up snaring cottontails and am having no luck with the jacks. What is the best sized snare diameter, and how far should the bottem of the loop be from the ground?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:34 AM

Default Still learning

Well I snared one twice with a 3 inch loop approx 2 inches off the ground but the bastard broke my snares twice. So I made up a set of 1/16th aircraft cable snares and now he seems to be pushing the snare aside without getting caught.

I'll try some tweaking tonight, but I am still figuring this out. The heavier snares are more difficult to set squarely accross the runs.

Anyway I'll let you know how I make out.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:24 PM
Gone Hunting

The loop should be big enough for your fist to pass through and about the width of your hand from the ground to the bottom of the loop.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-16-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillieSuit View Post
Well I snared one twice with a 3 inch loop approx 2 inches off the ground but the bastard broke my snares twice. So I made up a set of 1/16th aircraft cable snares and now he seems to be pushing the snare aside without getting caught.

I'll try some tweaking tonight, but I am still figuring this out. The heavier snares are more difficult to set squarely accross the runs.

Anyway I'll let you know how I make out.
I think that you got snapped off because you snagged them by the hind leg.

That diameter is smaller and lower than what we used on cottontails. The jacks are probably bouncing over it and getting snagged that way. I'm using a 6 inch diameter, 6-8 inches off the ground (learned through trial and error thing of course). Still don't have it perfected yet. They seem to be really adverse to any changes to the run.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:37 AM

Default Got em last night

Used a loop large enough to put my fist through and set it approximately an inch to an inch and a half off the ground.

I don't know if this set up will work every time, but it worked last night.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillieSuit View Post
Used a loop large enough to put my fist through and set it approximately an inch to an inch and a half off the ground.

I don't know if this set up will work every time, but it worked last night.
That's too bad in a way. I was about to say that after escaping your clutches this long perhaps the little guy had earned his freedom and life.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:31 PM

Default well this one my last attempt

Ha ha. Well if I didn't connect on this last effort I was going to abandon this plan and try again on another critter.

Anyway thanks for all the help.