Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-23-2010, 07:39 PM

Default Baiting

I'm not sure if its possible to suck at baiting, but I think I do. I'm trying to bait fox and coyote. I've used chicken carcess, i've tried pork hearts, and its always there when I go back .... sometimes a week later. I've seen tracks in the area, and I'm wondering what im doing wrong
Old 01-23-2010, 08:08 PM

I suck at baiting too. Put out a horse and a bull, with snares. Got one lone coyote. That's it. Hardly any tracks around any of the stations. Very disappointing.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:36 AM

Default bait

Dont walk to your bait or snares use transportation.Put the bait a few yards from snares and in the open.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:25 PM

Default Baiting

When setting out a bauit station I don't worry about scent too much around the bait and around the snares either, the wolves are gonna smell ya no matter what you do reguardless of what you try to do to. The thing that I do is establish the site abd bait often, sometimes it takes a while for K-9 's to gain enough confidents to come in but when they do they will use it often.
If your bait site is going to be hunted over, sit it all day there is no such thing as a prime time for wolves or coyotes, the prime time is when ever they get hungery.
If snaring keep your snares away from the bait site. I try to work my snares 30 yards from the bait and work them further out,up too 100 yards out, and have at least 50-60 snares covering that area.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:46 PM

Default Baiting

Use chicken manure. Put plastic bags on your boots when you go near bait station. Don`t touch anything near it without gloves. Works here in Alberta for me.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:23 AM

Pick up a good long distance scent for wolf/coyote/fox. If you can not find anything even use a good skunk cover scent. Put some near the bait not on it.