Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-17-2020, 04:39 PM

Default Has pigeon water condition improved

Just wondering what water condition is like now. About end of July I know they had a Blue Algae warning.
I was at Lac Ste. Anne today and some areas there were quite bad especially in and around the Narrows.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangeorge View Post
Just wondering what water condition is like now. About end of July I know they had a Blue Algae warning.
I was at Lac Ste. Anne today and some areas there were quite bad especially in and around the Narrows.
Bluegreen algae will not improve until a hard frost, it might migrate around the lake depending on the wind or move up and down the water column, but it won't go away.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-18-2020, 08:08 AM

Yes... in the last 10 days it has improved in certain areas. That is to say that is hasn't disappeared, the wind as just pushed it toward the south and south west. Happens every year. I have a place there and i'm on the lake fishing a number of times a week. Mulhurst Bay is in good shape, I've seen little of the blooms over the past 10 days. In my experience, the bloom has little effect on fishing anyway.

On anther note... The big wind storm that blew through last Wednesday really flipped the thermoclines upside down. Surface water temps went from 20 degrees down to 18 degrees pretty quik. Although the last couple days may have impacted that. Over the weekend, I found more walleye in 7-10 FOW... even many in shallower areas (kids casting from docks etc).

Just my take.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the update JB. I havent been to Pigeon at all this open water season so I need to come check it out.

I was at Battle lake on Thursday and the lake was really turned over too. Surface temps were 18C and there was so much algae kicked that my sonar was useless. The bite was okay though.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the update JB. Good to know.