Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-21-2022, 04:37 PM

Default Travelling with Firearm

Hey Folks,
Wondering if anyone has any experience travelling with firearms from Canada, through Newark NJ to South Africa? Wanting advice, any issues you ran into or hopefully a success story.
Old 07-21-2022, 04:46 PM
Banned

If you haven’t filled out the forms from global affairs canada and your planning to go this year. The decision could be made for you already. The feds intentionally drag their feet processing these. I was told In Dec that if I wanted to travel anywhere, To submit the forms 6-9 months in advance.

Travelling is do able with a rifle, but it is definitely better without one

Is the rifle very special to you?
Is it a must have for your hunt?

If it’s a double rifle and your going for dangerous game is different than if your brings a Remington 700 with a leupold scope for plains game

A lot of people rent rifles for African hunts

Last edited by marky_mark; 07-21-2022 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-21-2022, 05:11 PM

I have flown with my rifle many times. It is always a bit of a hassle but I like taking my gun. I have just never flown through the US with a gun and am wondering if anyone has any experience in Newark
Old 07-21-2022, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromaniuk View Post
I have flown with my rifle many times. It is always a bit of a hassle but I like taking my gun. I have just never flown through the US with a gun and am wondering if anyone has any experience in Newark
You don’t “need” a atf 6NIA form if your passing through
The problem arises if you have delays and have to claim your baggage
Old 07-22-2022, 01:47 AM

Get the ATF 6NIA1 form just to be on the safe side. ATF has always been extraordinarily great with me. I'm travellng to the USA in August and I send in my form July 12 and approved form returned July 20.
Old 07-22-2022, 06:55 AM

Gentlemen,
I have taken care of all the paperwork. I have export permits for my gun, ammo, and scope. Export permits took 4 months. I applied for the ATF 6NA1. I got a reply in 3 months. They would not grant me one as they said I didn't need one since I was just passing through. I have my permits in hand for South Africa. What I am looking for is someone who has actually went through the Newark airport and any info they have about it. I talked to someone the other day who said they heard it is a brutal airport to try to get a gun through. Just looking for feedback
Old 07-22-2022, 07:32 AM
Banned

There’s no reason why Newark would be any different than any other airport or border crossings. The person with the problem may not have had all their docs, or they might have caught an agent on a bad day. It’s not like your travelling through heathrow or Warsaw where the govt has additional docs or notifications that are needed just to land there with a rifle.

All of the airports or border crossings in the states follow the same rules and requirements. And you have everything you need!

Enjoy your hunt
Send pics
Old 07-22-2022, 07:48 AM

There is always someone who has a horror story about any topic. Even if it was confirmed that Newark was a nightmare to fly through, do you have any options at this point to change it? Like Mark said, you have all your paper work, 99.9% of the time you will have zero issues transiting through the states or entering the states. There are FAR worse places to fly through with a gun.
Old 07-22-2022, 08:07 AM

We flew through Newark coming home from South Africa and we were treated better there and had less hassle there than coming into our own country. Like anything I’m sure it depends on the agent you get. Good luck!
Old 07-22-2022, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the info boys. I have had hassles flying with my gun just about every time and you are right, most of the time it is the Canadian side that is the issue. It should be easy. Post exactly what you need on your website. Then Customs and the person flying know the rules and everyone can follow them. Went to Kyrgyzstan with three other guys a few years ago. Every guy got asked for different documents and was treated differently at each destination