Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2023, 08:51 PM

Default Registering a quad

We have owned a quad for many years and have never needed to register it cause we always ride private land and it stays at the farm in Sask most of the time. My 16 year old son got asked to go with a friend to McLean creek tomorrow to ride. Here we are Friday night and the registry and insurance in my town are closed. Any suggestions? Is there any insurance places open in Calgary on Saturday and registry agent?

What are the chances he will get checked at McLean creek on Saturday? Good kid with a clean record but that graduated license would suck for a ticket.
Old 07-14-2023, 08:59 PM

Default Odds

Odds of getting checked are pretty good.

Google search should find you a registry that is open Sat.

Expensive tickets and hassle if caught without the insurance and plates. I doubt officers out there would have much tolerance.

I would not send my kid out without everything in order.
Old 07-14-2023, 08:59 PM

Yup get it done
Old 07-14-2023, 09:10 PM

AMA has insurance and registry
Old 07-14-2023, 09:12 PM

Yup just saw ama is open Saturday. Would they do it over phone or need to be in person?
Old 07-14-2023, 09:21 PM

Default Owner of the machine person

You need to have the plate and paperwork on the machine before he rides in public.
Old 07-14-2023, 10:39 PM

Yup. Will get it figured out for sure. I just can’t believe we can’t do this sort of thing online.
Old 07-15-2023, 05:48 AM

At Maclean Creek a few years back I got a warning for not having my dog on a leash
It was early in the morning and no one else in the parking lot.

On the long weekend my buddies got a warning at the Mcgillivary staging area in a side by side for not having either their helmets on or their seat belts on

so the officiers are out there
Old 07-15-2023, 06:57 AM

Find a place that is not crowded and less popular therefore less likely to get stopped and checked. Never been stopped or checked for insurance or registration. Cops usually set up at choke points into areas so if there is one there then don’t unload machine. You can have unregistered/uninsured machines in back of truck just don’t unload. Drive right through inspection area if they say anything tell them you are not riding on public land just transporting machine and to go have intercourse with themselves.
Old 07-15-2023, 07:24 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Find a place that is not crowded and less popular therefore less likely to get stopped and checked. Never been stopped or checked for insurance or registration. Cops usually set up at choke points into areas so if there is one there then don’t unload machine. You can have unregistered/uninsured machines in back of truck just don’t unload. Drive right through inspection area if they say anything tell them you are not riding on public land just transporting machine and to go have intercourse with themselves.
So if they follow your direction and get stopped and ticketed for operating the vehicle on public land without plates and insurance are you going to pay their fine?

For a small fee just gets insurance, plates etc way cheaper then the ticket(s)

Trust me had a eye opener back in 2008 and luckily only one of us got ticketed as the officer explained what could have been total cost for both of us but only wrote one ticket and warned us.....I believe it was $170 bucks for just the one ticket.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-15-2023, 08:09 AM

Quote:
You're the kind of guy they love to catch, good for their quota.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-15-2023, 08:20 AM

Quote:
An excellent example of terrible advice
Old 07-15-2023, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunted View Post
Yup just saw ama is open Saturday. Would they do it over phone or need to be in person?
Not really sure but I do believe you have to have a membership at AMA.
Get the required paperwork. McLean Creek is a place they sit and wait to check for sure. Busy, busy place. Hope he has fun and stays safe.
Old 07-15-2023, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunted View Post
Im sure in person is better for all
Old 07-15-2023, 08:44 AM

Bill of sale and your drivers license, bingo, you got insurance, over to the license bureau for a plate and hit the trails. 170 bux a year to insure my 700 grizzly, I use it and charge it out for work so I have pretty heavy coverage on it. Well worth the 50 cents a day.
Old 07-15-2023, 09:12 AM

another benefit on registration of the quad in your names is for theft

a lot of folks don’t register the quad from the dealer and if stolen they register it in the new name and you have difficulty with the police and the insurance company

my cousin screwed up,and wanted me to pay his bank loan when this happened and I said no

then I am the bad guy
Old 07-15-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
So if they follow your direction and get stopped and ticketed for operating the vehicle on public land without plates and insurance are you going to pay their fine?

For a small fee just gets insurance, plates etc way cheaper then the ticket(s)

Trust me had a eye opener back in 2008 and luckily only one of us got ticketed as the officer explained what could have been total cost for both of us but only wrote one ticket and warned us.....I believe it was $170 bucks for just the one ticket.
Don’t know where you have been but insurance, registration and a plate is more than $170 but a little risk once and a while is alright for me.
Old 07-15-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
^^ Good example of bad advice for messing up a whole weekend and a long walk home^^

A few years back we were running our dirt bikes and in a nearby and well used cut line, close to our camp; to our surprise there were two CO's on horse back not 1/2 a miles away from camp and being very thorough...At 9:00 am.

As an adult I completely understood the procedure, now a 16 year old may have had problems...

Simply obey the law; then all readers on AO don't have to read your next thread on how bad the Off Highway laws are and your poor experience with over zealous LEO's are...

Sheeshhh

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by jungleboy; 07-15-2023 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2023, 11:22 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Don’t know where you have been but insurance, registration and a plate is more than $170 but a little risk once and a while is alright for me.

Hmmm we got off on only the one ticket and a warning, I believe if the officer threw the book at us and could have we were like 800 bucks each if memory serves me right.
We thanked him, shook hands and got our poop together going forward.
Phewww got off light on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-15-2023, 01:36 PM

We use to quad near Bruderheim and the popo were brutal and unforgiving for sure. Insurance,reg,helmets etc or they would get cramps writing tickets. Not worth the trouble so follow the rules and save the hassle.
Old 07-15-2023, 01:46 PM

I registered a 2024 Honda quad and insured it last week

$105 for insurance until July 2024
$73 for registration until Nov 2024 includes a new plate...

Cheaper than one ticket

Last edited by huntinstuff; 07-15-2023 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-15-2023, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I believe if the officer threw the book at us and could have we were like 800 bucks each if memory serves me right.
Those tickets can get REALLY 'Spensive & REALLY quick!

That's why I refuse to play on crown land, to me insurance & reggie on quads & sleds is a bit much and just another cash grab.

No need to enlighten me on the benefits of having it, I get it.

Doesn't mean I have to like it.
Old 07-15-2023, 05:58 PM

If you break and try to get around the rules with whatever you are doing your kids will learn from that. Teach your children well. You shouldn't have to worry what happens when getting checked. Being polite goes a long way. Be prepared.
I don't quad anymore but is it really mandatory to wear a helmet now? We always did and so did our kids. Safety gear, head to toe. All info for each quad or dirt bike were wrapped and under the seats.