Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-02-2022, 12:06 AM

Default Fun day along the river… The bite was on!

Well since I’m always the one asking questions I figured I would maybe provide a bit of entertainment for some…
Today started off as a bit of a bummer, I missed out on elk tags for my Dad and I.
So I figured I would get outside and enjoy as much of the outdoors I can, despite the heat. I’ve been outside almost all day for literally every single day of the summer and I’m enjoying the heck out of it. 2 week-long wrangler training camp and then a family vacation left me with no time to fish one of my favourite streams.

So today was the day!
I’m 15 so I can not drive to the river yet
My dad was working so I got my mom to drop me off just after lunch.
I figured I would get set up as usual. 3 fly nymph setup (2 variations of stonefly nymphs and a beadhead.) It didn’t take long and I had a bite, well actually tons of bites leading to a good size trout right off the bat. Last year my personal best in this small river was 14, well I caught a 16incher and he was healthy and thick. The day was filled with unbelievable amounts of bites even though it was 30 degrees out. I’ve fished this big section plenty of times before so I walked and walked to get to my favourite deep pools and runs. I fished my way upstream for hours until I got to my favourite whitefish hole. I dialed in and started getting good amounts of subtle bites which whitefish are known for. Finally I got a good hook set and brought in a keeper whitefish for my supper. Then shortly after I caught another good one. I don’t typically keep fish but there are many whitefish stacked up in some of the pools in this river so I’m fine with taking one or too. After gutting and filleting them I fired up the stove.
Dipped in egg then into the flour mixture (four,oregano, onion powder, garlic, salt, pepper, baking powder.
Then tossed into the hot pan frying with butter.
Lemon drizzle on top and it was delish. It gets better tho… a nice size 4x4 mulie buck skylines himself on the cliff above me as I eat my fish next to the pool where I caught them.
I wrap up my dinner and fish my way down to the pickup spot at dark.
Seen some snakes, muskrats and caught plenty of trout, and lost over 50 of them!
And to top it off, I found a wonderful Saskatoon berry patch at the end to pick my family some berries!
Amazing day for me and makes my heart happy seeing Gods beauty all over.

Reminder to not take the beautiful things around us for granted and to enjoy the little things.

Old 08-02-2022, 06:29 AM

Looks like an awesome outing!!

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-02-2022, 07:19 AM

That’s a great adventure day!!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-02-2022, 07:32 AM

Great write up and nice pictures. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:14 AM

Outstanding day!! Thanks for posting about your adventure!

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2022, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the story. Keep it up young fella, you're living the dream of many men.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2022, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Thanks for the story. Keep it up young fella, you're living the dream of many men.
Absolutely! Thanks for the write-up.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:52 AM

Excellent job. Great write up and awesome pictures. You're having an amazing summer.

BW
Old 08-02-2022, 12:13 PM

Good on you. Those days you remember for ever. Thank you for making us apart of it.
Old 08-02-2022, 12:56 PM

Cool snake. Looks like a wandering.
Old 08-02-2022, 02:20 PM

Nicely done and great pics.
Old 08-02-2022, 03:05 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Well done and thx for sharing.

So nice to see young people out enjoying the outdoors, wait until you get your licence, my first ride was a 1982 Honda XL 250R and I strapped everything onto that bike hitting every lake, stream and ocean shoreline.....keep posting your adventures.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-02-2022, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the kind words folks, I’ll make sure I make more of these posts from now on.

And Cat… I 100% agree, when I get my license I don’t know if I’ll ever be inside lol
Old 08-02-2022, 06:29 PM

Today’s adventure was a blast!
Dad dropped me off aways many miles upstream from my house. I had a paddleboard, spinning rod, fly rod, fishing gear, food, water and a life jacket of course!

I started the float off with spinning gear but got tired of that quickly and I didn’t catch anything. Not to long after switching my fly rod, I started hooking into big trout. The fishing today was nuts! I got to fight 10+ trout and landed 2 of them. Yes I know the success rate as far as landing them goes was pretty low. But it gets pretty awkward trying to get them into the net while on paddleboard drifting in the fast current. All of the fish caught, were caught doing so while drifting along banks or beautiful deep runs. Brown was 20”-22” and rainbow was 18”-20”
The rainbow took over half my spool just about took my arm off. Crazy buggers!
All fish caught with a fly rod on a paddleboard… I call that a success.
These bow river trout fight like nothing else. So fun!!
Enjoy!

Old 08-02-2022, 08:04 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Awesome

My wife still fishes on her paddle board one of those ones ya pump up.

I told her she is crazy as one hook will end it but that’s what she likes to do yet has a perfectly good kayak and a canoe too, oh well takes all types to enjoy fishing and there is nothing wrong with that!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-02-2022, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Awesome

My wife still fishes on her paddle board one of those ones ya pump up.

I told her she is crazy as one hook will end it but that’s what she likes to do yet has a perfectly good kayak and a canoe too, oh well takes all types to enjoy fishing and there is nothing wrong with that!

Haha ironically mine is an inflatable too. But yeah that’s really funny. I would definitely be taking a kayak over the paddleboard. However it sure is nice to float with your legs in the water on hot days.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:12 PM

Great pics thanks for sharing
Nothing the great outdoors
Old 08-02-2022, 10:45 PM

Love it ... some nice adventures ... keep it up you have talent with pen and rod!!! ... maybe some of the AO Brain Trust could point you in the right direction ... you have a good article here to flesh out
Old 08-03-2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
Love it ... some nice adventures ... keep it up you have talent with pen and rod!!! ... maybe some of the AO Brain Trust could point you in the right direction ... you have a good article here to flesh out
Thank you! And yes I very much enjoy writing about the outdoors!
Old 08-03-2022, 08:31 AM

I went out this morning at 5am.
Landed 2 rainbows. Lost 2 big big browns!!! I also lost a fish I never got to see.
All in the same run that feeds into a nice pool.

Old 08-03-2022, 09:03 AM

Great pics. Love seeing young people engaging in the passion. Keep it up!
Old 08-03-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
Just to touch on what you said. I would definitely take any opportunity to write in a magazine or any sort of article. I’m just not sure if I’m qualified enough haha.
And I’m not sure where to look for those types of opportunities.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:16 PM

This is so awesome to see. Keep up having fun and never loose the passion it is very rewarding
Old 08-03-2022, 01:04 PM

I'm enjoying your posts on your adventures young man, keep them coming!
It's very nice to see young people enjoying the outdoors and getting out there to make it happen.
I still remember going on similar adventures in my younger days, great memories....
Old 08-03-2022, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the kind words folks…Its really cool to hear that I’m not the only one passionate about the outdoors at a young age. Sounds like some of you guys had quite the childhood. I’m doing my best to get other kids enjoying the outdoors too! Last year I taught 5 friends to fly fish and they all loved it. I’ve already taught 2 people this year and just getting started. Love seeing other people enjoying the outdoors as much as I do.

Last edited by 270hunter; 08-03-2022 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:41 PM

Awesome trip and write up!!!!

Brings back memories of my younger days.

Enjoy your outings while you can!
Old 08-04-2022, 10:10 PM

Great posts! Its great to see young fly fishermen that have the same passion that myself and my brother had when we were younger. Miss those summers of fishing every day. Enjoy it while you can like others have mentioned! Those were some of the best fishing trips and adventures of my life.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:21 PM

Well today I took my 10 year old brother fishing with me at 5 am. Just the 2 of us, some good bonding time. He is just spin fishing at the moment and the weeds were so darn bad that chucking rapalas was tricky for him. Weeds every 2nd cast!
Then I lost a slab of a rainbow…my brother and I got to see him take off downstream and jump and head shake. Then spit the hook

This afternoon my mom dropped me off at fishtails fly shop in Calgary. Had a great chat with 2 younger fellas there and I learnt plenty of things and bought a few small items. They answered my questions about targeting bull trout in other small rivers so I will be going out for those soon hopefully. Tried a new nymphing rig with split shot this evening with success!
9 foot 3x leader to first fly, then 24” of 3x tippet to next fly, then 6” tag end off the last hook and put a split shot on that.
I found that this technique kept the flies out of the weeds well and still kept the flys near the bottom.
Sparkle Caddis Pupa was the ticket for me tonight!

1 rainbow and 1 brown both putting up solid fights and the rainbow was very healthy and had some good mass to him.

This mornings fog
Old 08-04-2022, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Salmon View Post
Great posts! Its great to see young fly fishermen that have the same passion that myself and my brother had when we were younger. Miss those summers of fishing every day. Enjoy it while you can like others have mentioned! Those were some of the best fishing trips and adventures of my life.
Thank you kind sir! speaking of brothers… I took my 10 year old brother out today (see update above.)
Old 08-05-2022, 11:46 AM

WOW!!!!

Sometimes us older buggers can get jaded on the forum.

This thread is my favourite of the year by a long shot. Trust me. Every single guy that read your thread smiled like you wouldn’t believe.

Way to go bud!