Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2020, 07:44 AM

Default Anyone ever think about leaving Canada?

Anyone ever think about Leaving Canada for a more simplistic life?

Wife and I are here in Mexico at the moment and we’ve been to Mexico about a dozen times. The more I come here the more I like it and keep thinking life is so simple here than in Canada, with all the BS that’s going on back home like the corona virus , climate change being rammed down our throats, taxes going up wage going down, corrupt government and on and on.

I think we are seriously think about becoming an expat here in Mexico!
We love La Cruz Huanacaxtle, all the way north to Chacala along the coast.

Anyone else been here in this area?
Old 02-05-2020, 07:54 AM

It has crossed my mind for sure with the direction Canada has been going. Right now having two kids at home the wife will never consider it. I think once the kids move out I will put more thought into the possibility. Personally I could do it but my wife might be too afraid

When it comes to retirement it will become way more tempting because in Canada the cost of living is becoming unrealistic.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:56 AM

Yup. 50 years of winters has taken its toll. Winters seem to be six months of Grey clouds, and white stuff on ground, along with the odd -40c temp. Mexico? Costa Rica? Chile? Argentina? Brazil?
Old 02-05-2020, 08:02 AM

I can relate to some such thoughts, but I sure would not include the coronavirus among them. You just compared a sparsely populated nation with excellent health care to a heavily populated nation where roving cartel gangs decapitate people en masse, and engage in mass gunfights with government law enforcement and the army. Any health epidemic would be much worse down there than in Canada.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:31 AM

Think about this more and more. Talk to many people that feel the same. Canada is going in a bad direction and the young people here have a huge financial mess to deal with. As for my wife and I the the only things holding us here is our son, daughter in law and two grand children. We know people that spend about 3 months every winter in Zihuatanejo and they think it's great. Not sure how that would work out year round. Think the temperature is very hot in summer. There is also the health care issue. From all accounts Mexico has great medical facilities, as long as you can pay for them. As you get older, the cost of medical insurance rises rapidly. I think provincial health care boots you off the system after 6 months absence from the country. Takes about 3 months to be reinstated on the system upon return to Canada. Also, I believe CPP claws back a portion and it is a permanent change. In the whole scheme of things, probably not that significant, but something to be aware of. Keep meaning to join Canadian Snowbirds. Think they have a lot of info regarding do's and don'ts. Very interested to hear thoughts and information from others.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:40 AM

I would do some SERIOUS research and talk to people with actual first hand factual experience. Remember “The grass is always greener on the other side”
Old 02-05-2020, 08:48 AM

My mom lives in Bucerias every winter for about 4-6 months. I’m 42, married and no kids. We want to move down there now but it always comes down to how does one make a living while down there. I worked with a guy that was a pipeline inspector. He would fly to Calgary, rent a truck and work his shift. On his 4 days off he’d fly back to Bucerias. He was in his 60’s. He no longer was eligible for Canadian healthcare but he said medical care was cheap in Mexico so he didn’t care.

When mom first started going down about 5 years ago she was renting a 2 bdrm, 2 bath place with a pool for $500/month. It was nothing fancy but was in a little complex full of Canadians. She’d just pay $6000 and keep it for the year. She’s moved around to a few other places over the years. It seems in Bucerias anyways prices are going up. I think one would need to go farther up the coast to save some money. Moving to a little, sleepy fishing village, becoming a local, staring at the ocean everyday sounds like a pretty nice life to me.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:51 AM

Canada is toast.
Why doesn’t a country down south set up a welcome sign for us?

My main issue is It’s a long way back to visit family. Planes suck. But I know a few people that did it.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:55 AM

I came here as a young lad in 1984, originally as a foreign student and later stayed as a landed immigrant, finally becoming a full citizen in 2000. Originally I came from a culture where it was encouraged to hate and actively harm those of a different faith (despite the fact that we were all White Anglo Saxons) so in this context the values and (cultural) diversity here were a breath of fresh air. Canada has been incredibly good to me and I have ultimately become quite successful in my chosen career path. I have also been able to raise a family free from sectarian influence and with true freedom of speech and action. Unfortunately under the current leadership regime we are fast sliding toward a welfare state where power and influence are directed toward appeasing the minority voice. Current attempts to handcuff and penalize the "goose that lays the golden egg" (aka energy sector) are at best reprehensible. In short I have become very disillusioned with our great country and have started to wonder if I should up stakes and return to my roots. If I do there will be one hell of a gun sale as I will not be able to take them with me.

A proud (but disillusioned) Canadian.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:03 AM

I think about it. Nothing to do with Coronavirus.
As frustrating as this gov is, I still think Canada is the best place to live for me. It’s not nearly as good as it used to be but overall, it’s still a good country.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:30 AM

You can take the boy out of the Northern Prairies but you will never take the Northern Prairie out of the boy. Sorry I am an Albertan for life. Would love a second place in Mexico, I find the people there are refreshing in the down to earth work for food, want better for the family type of way, but as long as I am capable and the wildfowl are making the migration South I will be in the fields of Alberta with my shotgun.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:35 AM

Mexico ? know some people who live there. You can't own land directly , you'd better have a wall around your home and resign yourself to staying home after 9 PM. Dead bodies in the street are a common sight. Not my cup of tea. Medical problems ? Better hope you make it back to Canada before you croak.
I came here as a kid and appreciate more than most people what we have here.

Grizz
Old 02-05-2020, 09:47 AM

Some of these countries appear great when you are on vacation, relaxing and everyone is serving the Gringo. Suggest you pilot test "real life" before you commit by renting condo for year. It is great to take your Canadian $$ and multiply X20 in peso's. However some of these countries have major restrictions when you try to get your $$ back out, be careful.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
I came here as a young lad in 1984, originally as a foreign student and later stayed as a landed immigrant, finally becoming a full citizen in 2000. Originally I came from a culture where it was encouraged to hate and actively harm those of a different faith (despite the fact that we were all White Anglo Saxons) so in this context the values and (cultural) diversity here were a breath of fresh air. Canada has been incredibly good to me and I have ultimately become quite successful in my chosen career path. I have also been able to raise a family free from sectarian influence and with true freedom of speech and action. Unfortunately under the current leadership regime we are fast sliding toward a welfare state where power and influence are directed toward appeasing the minority voice. Current attempts to handcuff and penalize the "goose that lays the golden egg" (aka energy sector) are at best reprehensible. In short I have become very disillusioned with our great country and have started to wonder if I should up stakes and return to my roots. If I do there will be one hell of a gun sale as I will not be able to take them with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I think about it. Nothing to do with Coronavirus.
As frustrating as this gov is, I still think Canada is the best place to live for me. It’s not nearly as good as it used to be but overall, it’s still a good country.
Wow! Sad to hear that after 35 years Lone Wolf would feel the way he does. Buck Brush, I know how you feel. I have lived all my life, 65 years, as a proud Canadian. Worked all over the planet, so I have an idea what other countries are like. Over the last few years I see this great country slipping, as already said, into a welfare state. Looks great for now, but what happens when all the people that made Canada what it "was" have moved out or otherwise departed? Eventually the "credit card" gets canceled and then what will the snowflakes and new Canadians do? The turd doesn't care, he has a huge trust fund and will probably be collecting big bucks from the U.N. morneau will be nice and comfy at his villa on the Rivera.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:07 AM

In retirement, I wouldn't mind living somewhere warmer for a few months of the year, but I would likely miss ice fishing too much to consider that. As far as being a full time resident and raising a family, you couldn't pay me to live elsewhere.

There's a reason that Canada consistently ranks at the top in terms of livability and quality of life. Of course there are issues, but on the whole, it is a terrific place to live and I am thankful every day to live here.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Mexico ? know some people who live there. You can't own land directly , you'd better have a wall around your home and resign yourself to staying home after 9 PM. Dead bodies in the street are a common sight. Not my cup of tea. Medical problems ? Better hope you make it back to Canada before you croak.

Grizz
Love seeing these. The lack of appreciation is astounding.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:16 AM
Banned

I think about it sometimes, but I always come to the conclusion there's nowhere better to run to. US has just as many problems. Might as well stay here and fight when it comes to it. Europe is no better either. I would never move to Mexico, that doesn't seem like a good place for my family to live in the long term.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:18 AM

It sure has crossed my mind but more of a retirement move. I have wife and 2 boys and am 49. We do spring break in Mexico every year now and although resort trips are not for all we get out and explore some.
I love the Bousiries ( sp) area too. Would like a small place on the ocean to live for 4-5 months. Fish, snorkel, paddleboard, bike....... but I do worry about the safety aspect. We are some years away yet but need to have a place out of Calgary by the water for sure.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
Yup. Agreed. Mexico is a corrupt narco state. The cartels own the police. People who complain our police and government are corrupt should then see Mexico as 1000X worse.

Visit for a vacation. Maybe. Live there. No. Many Canadian residents have been murdered there...even in gated communities.

If I had the money...would make it Kauai.

Mexico, Belize, Columbia, Panama, Guatemala, and more are run by drug lords. You take your chances.

Philippines, Cambodia, Thailand are poorer countries cheaper to live in.

Still...move to Parrsboro https://www.cumberlandcounty.ns.ca/l...parrsboro.html

You can buy a home under $50K.

https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Real-...Parrsboro.html
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-05-2020, 10:24 AM
Banned

I know some people who retired to Mexico or Asia but I would never do it. It always seemed quite selfish to me. I plan to retire where my kids (and hopefully grandkids) are so I can be around to help them. Hunting and fishing will provide me with my recreation, no desire to be lounging on some exotic beach.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:41 AM

While our standard of living is falling, and it will have to fall even more as we go deeper and deeper into debt , I am not ready to walk away from the country that I have invested so much time and money in.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:45 AM

I’ve been to Costa Rica 4 times, (resorts) but have friends that spend a few months there every winter. Direct flights from Calgary.

I’m nowhere near retirement age, but I would seriously consider at least a few months a year down there. Far safer than Mexico, and less expensive depending on the area you visit.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:55 AM

Canada is not perfect by any means but it is way better than Mexico. We were just talking with friends about the retirement. One of our friends have a house in Mexico, had it for 10years now. They go there every year for a month or two. They have 3 kids, so it is much cheaper vacation than all inclusive.
Not my cup of tea...
If anything, we were thinking of Uruguay or Paraguay. But need to learn Spanish, at least at a street level...
Another option is Spain or Portugal. Eastern Europe is a good option too.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
LMFAO...! Parrsboro...? Jesus Murphy, it's hard enough finding work around Halifax. Why would you want to stick yourself in the most desolate corner of Nova Scotia ? Scott Paper is about the only option.

I constantly think about moving to the USA. Texas, maybe Florida. Even New Mexico or Nevada. This country of ours is going to Hell In a Handbasket quickly.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:50 AM

The reason Canada is in the state its in is because the public sucks. Allow me to explain.

We complain a lot about government. Trudeau, Harper, Mulroney, etc etc etc

The problem is, WE decide who gets to be in government by way of voting. WE are responsible for the issues Canada has.

The public are the worst bosses ever. We rarely know exactly who we vote for, we really dont know what they plan on doing, we dont properly interview these people for the job they applied for.

We put on our shoes every 4 years, stomp to a polling station, and mark an "X" beside some persons name and figure we've accomplished something. Did our civic duty. And EVEN THAT takes too much effort for some because people want to vote online. How lazy.

Then we sit back and allow these people to take responsibility for hundreds of billions of OUR dollars to seemingly do as they please....

What boss in their right mind would do that? One that doesnt really care I presume.

Canada has a lot to offer, but the public fails to ensure that. Every few years we let the pendulum swing too far one way or the other rather than ensuring it stays closer to the middle.

That in turn causes division.

We complain about corporations getting tax breaks, when its these same corporations that we support through our purchases, or our investments or because we work for them. Does ANYONE here know exactly where their RRSP or other financial portfolio money goes?

Our apathy is what kills us. Our failure to properly interview politicians for the job they seek is our ultimate failure. We are getting what we deserve.

Any politician running for a position that shows up to a public forum with a prepared speech should be cast aside. They should be questioned by those in attendance and gauged on their answer. Prepared speeches are a clear sign that this person wants to talk, but not listen. Red flag. Honestly, how many of you have ever applied for a job and the main premise was you ANSWERING QUESTIONS?? Likely the vast majority. Why do we allow politicians to give a speech, we clap and go home? Is that any way to be a boss? Apathy.

Canada has it all. It's here. The resources, the brains, the hard working attitude. We as the public need to up our game.

Now that being said, weather does suck. Cant control it. Tropical locations have it too. Nowhere is great all the time.

The moment Canadians become less self centered, become more aware of things beyond their front door, and take an active role in the governance of this country, the sooner things will improve. We have to be better bosses.

Next election, regardless of whether its municipal, provincial, or federal, I challenge you to attend whatever forum and ask a question. If you sit there and listen rather than speak, I beg you to ask yourself "Am I being DICTATED to by this person"?

Because if you are, your troubles are about to start again. Forget change. Youve just given this person the green light to do as they please. And as a boss, you suck.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:17 PM

Arrow ... This 👇

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post

I would do some SERIOUS research and talk to people with actual first hand factual experience.

Remember “The grass is always greener on the other side”

And . . .

And . . .

If I was to consider leaving Canada again (which I won't), Mexico would be one of the 'Last' places I would consider ❗

Selkirk
Old 02-05-2020, 12:19 PM

I was born in Canada, raised in France and moved back to Canada when I was still in Junior high. I have worked and traveled extensively all over the world. I could have lived anywhere in the world I wanted to when I was working, and even more so now that I am retired.

I live where I do completely by choice. If I were to look at moving out of Canada it would be to civilized locations like the Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Switzerland, Norway, Finland, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Argentina or maybe even the U.S.. If I wanted warmer climate and something a little exotic I would be looking at Indonesia, Thailand maybe even Vietnam. The last place on earth I would ever consider is Mexico. It makes the middle east or Afghanistan seem like a peaceful place to live.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:40 PM

I will be buying a place in Costa Rica.

I have a few years to go to retire, but that is a for sure thing.
Have been going down there for years, we have friends that live there, have travelled the country.

Love the people, love the whole place.

Counting the days...
Old 02-05-2020, 12:57 PM

Nope I won’t go anywhere, I’ll stay and fight for my kids and grandchildren to have a better life. Besides I’m 60 and winter has never got old for me, I hunt rabbits, coyotes, hike, snowshoe, ice fish, it’s a great playground. Being a 5th generation Canadian I’ll do what my family has always done, work hard and give hope for the next 5 generations.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:24 PM

Great topic and thread...seems the older we get the more we don't enjoy winter like we used to. I am 61 and we too are working on a retirement plan. I still think Canada is one of the best places to grow a family and am proud to support the maple leaf internationally. Sure we all whine about the various levels of government and the weather but our houses are heated, we have decent roads and emergency services and we have haven't starved yet.

It seems out west here the most popular retirement spots are the Okanagan and Vancouver Island. Both have pros and cons. Lot's of friends go to Arizona or Palm Springs, I have never been to either and am not a big fan of Trumplandia (except I do like Montana).

And of course there are the variables like kids, grandkids, easy access, residential limits ( US 180 days), safety and health costs.

I hear you can live in Costa Rica for $1500 per month, told the wife we can afford to live for there for 40 years, after that she is on her own.