Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-27-2018, 07:13 AM

Default Optilock issue .... maxed out windage

Went to the range yesterday with a new (to me) Tikka T3 Varmint in 300 wsm. I installed a scope that had already been mounted and leveled in a set of medium Optilock rings and bases, and that came off another hunting rig. Set up a target at 25 yards. Got on the paper first shot so started to walk it in. When I got it close to the desired spot the windage adjustment started to tighten up and is very close to being maxed out.

Anyone else ever experience a similar issue ? The scope is a Zeiss Conquest HD5.

Is there any way to adjust windage on Optilock bases ?

Do I risk stressing the spring on the scope if I keep it at/near max adjustment ?
Old 12-27-2018, 07:40 AM

Are both base locking screws on the same side? Sometimes turning one base around 180 degrees will resolve the issue.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:46 AM

i had the same problem but on a sako. i could move the windage a bit by clamping the front one up or down the taper a bit but not enough. since your tikka has no taper i dont know what you would do i didnt like these rings and got tallys. i used warne on my tikkas they fit the rail you can get tallys to fit the tapped holes but i preferred the warne
Old 12-27-2018, 07:50 AM

Default Redo

There is something wrong with your rings or installation if this is the scenario. I recommend removing the scope from the rings, and reinstalling everything again utilizing a scope alignment tool and lap the rings as well. Likely one ring base is not true which will throw everything out of alignment.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...s-prod833.aspx
Old 12-27-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Are both base locking screws on the same side? Sometimes turning one base around 180 degrees will resolve the issue.
Yes, both are on the same side. Good suggestion, as I can see how switching one 180 degrees would allow for some adjustment.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleh01 View Post
There is something wrong with your rings or installation if this is the scenario. I recommend removing the scope from the rings, and reinstalling everything again utilizing a scope alignment tool and lap the rings as well. Likely one ring base is not true which will throw everything out of alignment.

Setup worked without issue on the last rifle the scope/rings/bases were installed on. Lapping is not a viable option as the rings have plastic inserts.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Setup worked without issue on the last rifle the scope/rings/bases were installed on. Lapping is not a viable option as the rings have plastic inserts.
Then it’s your action bases, different rings are worth a try. Never used optilock, only Near, ATRS and Warne for this guy. Turning your one ring around seems silly, just creating a snag point on both sides of your rifle now. If you have to do this, i’d Say your choice of optics mounts are wrong.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Yes, both are on the same side. Good suggestion, as I can see how switching one 180 degrees would allow for some adjustment.
Reversing one base will likely make it worse, reversing the other will make things better. Personally, I avoid the Optilocks, preferring Talley or Leupold bases/rings, much cheaper as well.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:13 AM

I had this issue with my zeiss scope.

There was a member here that solved it for me. Time to pay it forward

Take off the turret cap. There is a very small set screw that limits the clicks on the scope. Take that out and you will be able to dial much further.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post
I had this issue with my zeiss scope.

There was a member here that solved it for me. Time to pay it forward

Take off the turret cap. There is a very small set screw that limits the clicks on the scope. Take that out and you will be able to dial much further.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
The HD 5 scopes with target turrets have zero stop pins, but seeing as how the scope came off another rifle, he would likely be aware of this. As well the OP mentioned feeling the adjuster tighten up, with the zero stop pins, the adjuster bottoms suddenly, it doesn't really tighten up.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:

This x1000. I had the same issues with Leupold dual dovetail rings on 2 piece bases on a Rem 700. This fixed it up perfectly.

Last edited by 270person; 12-27-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:46 AM

i had the same issue with an A7, factory bases, burris rings and a swaro scope.

I pulled the scope, remounted everything, didn't fix the issue, I've since bought leupold standard rings and bases, however have not had a chance to get back to the range.

I have a set of optilocks on a tikka T3, and did not have any issues with that set-up.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:

Spot on advice, except you can't lap an Optilock. At least with the alignment tool you will easily be able to see what does not line up and be able to go from there. With these rings it is pretty easy to have things NOT perfectly square due to the way they mount to the bases.

Last edited by Dean2; 12-27-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Went to the range yesterday with a new (to me) Tikka T3 Varmint in 300 wsm. I installed a scope that had already been mounted and leveled in a set of medium Optilock rings and bases, and that came off another hunting rig. Set up a target at 25 yards. Got on the paper first shot so started to walk it in. When I got it close to the desired spot the windage adjustment started to tighten up and is very close to being maxed out.

Anyone else ever experience a similar issue ? The scope is a Zeiss Conquest HD5.

Is there any way to adjust windage on Optilock bases ?

Do I risk stressing the spring on the scope if I keep it at/near max adjustment ?
This May not help you but the coincidence is too much for me not to mention: I went to the range one day and two work mates were there trying to sight in a Tikka with optilock mounts. The rifle, scope and mounts were purchased used and the seller assured the buyer that she was shooting perfect at 100yds........
They could not get the scope to adjust windage any further........asked me if I had any ideas.....I am not familiar with Optilocks but said I would have a quick look. With the rifle sitting in the bench rest cradle i could see from looking down the length that the scope was not aligned with the barrel at the front. Figured for sure its got to be those teflon inserts. Took scope off and immediately felt a bulge in the scope tube at the front mount area (could not see the bulge but could feel it) He returned the scope to Vortex and when he received the new one the scope was mounted and zeroed just fine. I suspect the front ring was over torqued which caused the bulge and lack of windage......
FYI.....I do hope your problem is much more simple in nature!! Good Luck!
Old 12-27-2018, 02:03 PM

Talleys are less than half the price of opti locks. If it were my rifle I would buy a set of low tally’s, lap them and your problem will probably go away.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Spot on advice, except you can't lap an Optilock. At least with the alignment tool you will easily be able to see what does not line up and be able to go from there. With these rings it is pretty easy to have things NOT perfectly square due to the way they mount to the bases.
X2, I would make sure the plastic inserts are equally proud all the way around on both rings.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-02-2019, 03:18 PM

the issue you have , I have already addressed in another post with a sako 85 i had, Heres what I did to solve it; one of the posts is absolutely correct, you have reached your windage limit because of the tapered groove AND clamp design. The further you slide the front ring ahead or back is actually adding or subtracting windage depending on the centreline of your reticle/tube. because the base has a fixed groove on one side and a expandable clamp on the other where the tightening bolt is. So here is what you need to do; look through your scope while holding it against a mirror, lots of light helps. you will see two sets of crosshairs . one is the neutral centre line of your scope with equal amounts of windage adjustment remaining, the other is where you have already adjusted it to. Dial it back until they both match up again. you should now have equal turns on left and right. {adjustment range max available equally in both directions} Once this is done clamp your rear ring on the scope just finger tight for eye relief preference and ensure indexing pin is seated toward stop in receiver. next place your rifle and scope assembly in a cradle or clamp setup and remove the bolt. boresight your bore to a spot you can easily reference with the naked eye while looking through your scope tube. I use a square of electrical tape on a white surface , a distant wall or fence works great.
Next, with the rear ring still snug, but loose enough to allow for side movement of the front objective lens, slide the front optilock up and down the scope tube and in the taper grooves. you will see the vertical reticle move from left to right as you move the ring front and back. Keep the stationary side of the clamp tight against the groove and the clamp side backed off for now. When the positioning is in line with the reference tape/mark, clamp up your front ring and torque all screws, your adjustment is now neutral and you should have full adjustment in both directions.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanbore View Post
the issue you have , I have already addressed in another post with a sako 85 i had, Heres what I did to solve it; one of the posts is absolutely correct, you have reached your windage limit because of the tapered groove AND clamp design. The further you slide the front ring ahead or back is actually adding or subtracting windage depending on the centreline of your reticle/tube. because the base has a fixed groove on one side and a expandable clamp on the other where the tightening bolt is. So here is what you need to do; look through your scope while holding it against a mirror, lots of light helps. you will see two sets of crosshairs . one is the neutral centre line of your scope with equal amounts of windage adjustment remaining, the other is where you have already adjusted it to. Dial it back until they both match up again. you should now have equal turns on left and right. {adjustment range max available equally in both directions} Once this is done clamp your rear ring on the scope just finger tight for eye relief preference and ensure indexing pin is seated toward stop in receiver. next place your rifle and scope assembly in a cradle or clamp setup and remove the bolt. boresight your bore to a spot you can easily reference with the naked eye while looking through your scope tube. I use a square of electrical tape on a white surface , a distant wall or fence works great.
Next, with the rear ring still snug, but loose enough to allow for side movement of the front objective lens, slide the front optilock up and down the scope tube and in the taper grooves. you will see the vertical reticle move from left to right as you move the ring front and back. Keep the stationary side of the clamp tight against the groove and the clamp side backed off for now. When the positioning is in line with the reference tape/mark, clamp up your front ring and torque all screws, your adjustment is now neutral and you should have full adjustment in both directions.
The OP has a Tikka, which has a straight dovetail unlike the Sako, which uses a tapered dovetail.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:25 PM

Oh, Sorry You are right, I missed that. I also have a tika I had hoped to be able to switch out the optilock rings/bases with. I will have to watch for this issue again with the tika! If reversing or rotating the ring might work for some, maybe some sort of shimming or machining might also work to bring the ring center line in line with the bore. Bottom line is I like others am guilty of probally paying way to much for a set of optilocks which can be dissapointing in their mounting. They are solid rings but can be finnicky when mounting. and in my desire to keep everything up to sako standards and quality I neglected to see other market options that are just as good for less money. --- maybe. I also found the lowest optilock bases available were still high and had them milled down to keep the scope near the barrel more.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:33 PM

sako 85 rings and bases problems was the other thread from a few years back. More to do with the 85 as you say.

Last edited by cleanbore; 01-02-2019 at 05:38 PM. Reason: repeat
Old 01-06-2019, 08:43 AM

So - Lone wolf, what was the end result. Did you get the Optilocks working right on your gun?