Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-03-2018, 05:18 PM

Default Castle Park Discharge Permit/Game Retrieval

I have a new current discharge permit. While reading the terms of conditions for permit and it has a few links to click map the provides game retrieval routs for OHV. None of those links are providing me with any sort of a map with a route. The map is not even titled for it. Has anyone had any success with finding a map with these routes?

I will keep searching.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:21 PM

I was looking for it today as well and came up empty. How long did it take to get the permit? I wasn't going to bother but then i figured ..murphy's law
Old 10-03-2018, 06:52 PM

Default Permit

You get the permit online, take a couple minutes to fill out the form, then prints the permit, and rules.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
You get the permit online, take a couple minutes to fill out the form, then prints the permit, and rules.
Yes, slight revision to the one previous to the season. Actually fill it out on computer, permit will then be emailed to you then print from your email.

Sure some contradictory statements on permit but roll with the punches i guess.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:59 PM

Only thing I found is on alberta parks site and it sounds like for now any of the designated trails are considered retrieval trails. Retrieval trails may come more into play in 2019 when more of the main trail systems are closed.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:16 PM

West castle road is open for RETRIEVAL for quite a ways down it looks like. Other than that, it seems that the access for OHV's is the same as the summer access, far as I can tell.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasmi5 View Post
West castle road is open for RETRIEVAL for quite a ways down it looks like. Other than that, it seems that the access for OHV's is the same as the summer access, far as I can tell.
what did you find for a map?. Only map I found was one titled for Discharge permit required for OHV. Which is contradictory in itself since there is not suppose to be a requirement for permit when in the Wildland park. That section of road is in the Wildland park.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:31 AM

https://www.albertaparks.ca/media/64...rge_permit.pdf

A Firearms Dishcharge Permit is required and must be on the person to use the game retrieval routes identified on the map

Off Highway Vehicles (OHV) may only be used for retrieval of game on designated game retrieval routes(i.e., cannot use them on those routes until an animal has been harvested)
Old 10-04-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
what did you find for a map?. Only map I found was one titled for Discharge permit required for OHV. Which is contradictory in itself since there is not suppose to be a requirement for permit when in the Wildland park. That section of road is in the Wildland park.
I was referring to the map that Huntingonthrbrain just shared. I agree with you about the contradiction you mention for sure. I guess them knowing you have a discharge permit is their way of reassuring that you are in fact a hunter and have harvested an animal up west castle...? Doesn’t make a lot of sense, but it’s what they went with last minute. This whole Castle process has been a learning curve for all parties involved with lots of confusion. Hopefully they can work the kinks out in coming seasons.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingonthebrain View Post
https://www.albertaparks.ca/media/64...rge_permit.pdf

A Firearms Dishcharge Permit is required and must be on the person to use the game retrieval routes identified on the map

Off Highway Vehicles (OHV) may only be used for retrieval of game on designated game retrieval routes(i.e., cannot use them on those routes until an animal has been harvested)
To me that map is incomplete. Those are all main gravel roads. And you can’t ride ohv legaly anywhere but on that red road. There’s lots of other designated trails in the Lynx and Lost drainages. So I’m guessing those are good. I’m sure there are more changes we will see by the time spring bear gets here.

I do see what you mean huntinonthe brain. Thanks for putting that up.