Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 05:49 PM

Default Photo Radar (on bridges!!)

How low do you have to go in order to put photo radar on bridges scanning the road below? What's next?? Photo radar in trees? On light poles? In manholes? Is the revenue dropping because everyone's on to you sitting on the side of the road?

I can deal with radar on the side of the road. And it's not like I speed anyways, cause I don't, so stick it (your radar) wherever you want.
I hate photo radar, and I never get tickets.

Another short rant over.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:01 PM

Few years ago saw one on an overpass on the #1 going to Banff, the guy was actually laying down on the bridge to get the proper angle on the cars, intercepter parked a quarter mile up the road.
May have gotten a lot of cars that day but everyone was slowing down to see why there was a person laying down on the overpass.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:05 PM

Don't go to Australia. Lots of our overpass bridges have permanent spped cameras set up on them.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:15 PM

Photo radar or radar gun on every 5th power pole on every main highway works for me. Stop these speeding morons any way you can.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-05-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Photo radar or radar gun on every 5th power pole on every main highway works for me. Stop these speeding morons any way you can.
A letter in the mail a week later does not stop the infraction at the time. By the time a letter arrives, it may be too late. I am all for a cop in a car pulling me over.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter65 View Post
A letter in the mail a week later does not stop the infraction at the time. By the time a letter arrives, it may be too late. I am all for a cop in a car pulling me over.
Word will get around soon. Make them visible.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-05-2013, 06:32 PM

Yup..... Anthony Henday North up close to St Albert is famous for having the photobuggies parked on the overpass and shooting traffic below.....can't see them if you are driving towards them.

The other tactic the Edmonton City uses is the have white with blue striped maintenance vehicles with guys operating photoradar inside....Henday after Terwilligar heading North and 91st Street North at Henday exit are 2 of the favorite spots....

LC
Old 04-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Banned

Are you talking permanent mount? Where?
Old 04-05-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I can live with that.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
I can live with that.
sounds good to me, the more they rack up, the less I pay in taxes. almost like a user pay system.perfect
Old 04-05-2013, 08:45 PM

I thought that they had to be posted with signage that road is Photo Enforce. Also I thought that it had to be in plain view. I know years back the guy in town hide right in front of a motor home parked along the road so he could not be seen until you passed them and the local news crew caught it. I guess that it was not allowed.
Fight the ticket.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
I thought that they had to be posted with signage that road is Photo Enforce. Also I thought that it had to be in plain view. I know years back the guy in town hide right in front of a motor home parked along the road so he could not be seen until you passed them and the local news crew caught it. I guess that it was not allowed.
Fight the ticket.
Or don't speed

Old 04-05-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Or don't speed
Seems so simple it just might work......
Old 04-05-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
Fight the ticket.
Yeah take it to court and argue that you didn't see the radar that caught you or the sign that said you can get ticketed for breaking the law... Even if it worked you should be ashamed for taking advantage of our stupid law system. Imo cops should be allowed to hide etc because it is to easy to avoid them when they have to play nice...

Cops have been hiding on bridges for years, if you are going to speed over the allowable amount then bridges are just one of the many things you need to slow down for(along with parked vehicles, lights, cop cars etc) if you don't want to get caught. I used to speed almost all the time 20-30 km over and was only ever caught twice because I pay attention while driving and knew what to look for. I don't speed anywhere near that much anymore though and now almost always stay under the allowable 15 km over.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavCanoe View Post
I don't speed anywhere near that much anymore though and now almost always stay under the allowable 15 km over.
You can get a photo radar for doing as little as 8kms over.....

LC
Old 04-05-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter65 View Post
How low do you have to go in order to put photo radar on bridges scanning the road below? What's next?? Photo radar in trees? On light poles? In manholes? Is the revenue dropping because everyone's on to you sitting on the side of the road?

I can deal with radar on the side of the road. And it's not like I speed anyways, cause I don't, so stick it (your radar) wherever you want.
I hate photo radar, and I never get tickets.

Another short rant over.
They are always set-up on the fly-over bridges. Lots of people still go 100km instead of the posted 70km. Excellent cashcow...
Old 04-05-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
They are always set-up on the fly-over bridges. Lots of people still go 100km instead of the posted 70km. Excellent cashcow because people are too (place correct phrase here) to follow the law
added a bit for you

(entitled, important, immature, stupid, ignorant, moronic, above the law)

Old 04-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
added a bit for you

(entitled, important, immature, stupid, ignorant, moronic, above the law)
Hmmm, sounds like alot of police out there.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I agree 100%, Ken.

Don't want to get a speeding ticket? Then don't speed. Simple solution.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Yup..... Anthony Henday North up close to St Albert is famous for having the photobuggies parked on the overpass and shooting traffic below.....can't see them if you are driving towards them.

LC
They now have a minivan parked on top of that location for cars going over the bridge on 184st up Ray Gibbon. I'm sure they catch tonnes of guys there too, because its a 60km zone. Very easy to do 70 or 80 there.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:41 PM

I always try to do the speed limit. Especially in the cities! Last photo radar about 5 years ago daydreaming coming into Devon from the north, cost me $80.00. I was some pi$$ed at myself.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 04-05-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You can get a photo radar for doing as little as 8kms over.....

LC
Interesting, I have never received one(somewhat surprisingly based on how I used to drive).

Going under 15 km over is supposedly ticketable but it seems to be the commonly used limit, I guess that is just what most officers deem worthwhile to pull you over at.

I personally don't have an issue with speeding or even some other driving infractions as long as the driver is still acting courteous and paying attention. If they are swerving in and out of traffic and creating hazards or tailgating etc then that is not ok but say cruising on an empty highway I personally don't see why you should be limited to 110 if your car is capable of driving safely at faster speeds.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavCanoe View Post
I personally don't see why you should be limited to 110 if your car is capable of driving safely at faster speeds.
oh are you going to blow this thread wide open.......

Biggest reason? Idiots that do not know or care when enough is enough.

This is going to be a looooong list

Old 04-05-2013, 11:04 PM

wait till dudley doright figures out that he can put a gps transponder on every vehicle and get automatic ticketing any were that roads are mapped,no need for radar any more,the tickets will be automatically mailed to the registered owners
freedom is a thing of the past!
The logical thing to do is increase the speed limit on the open highways and have driver training,starting in high schools
Old 04-05-2013, 11:15 PM

The law sucks. Lots of libritarians here.
For the record, I have never gotten a photo radar ticket.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:29 PM

Thats crap. If they want to enforce, enforce with REAL COPS. When I see these guys out they get a honk at the least, with a middle finger thrown in here and there. Photo radar is a cash grab, people won't slow down if they get a ticket 1 week later, they will just be P'OD.
The roads would be a safer place if they hired officers to patrol, instead of paying these highschool dropouts to hide in a van and point a fancy gun at cars.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444 marlin View Post
wait till dudley doright figures out that he can put a gps transponder on every vehicle and get automatic ticketing any were that roads are mapped,no need for radar any more,the tickets will be automatically mailed to the registered owners
freedom is a thing of the past!
The logical thing to do is increase the speed limit on the open highways and have driver training,starting in high schools
Onstar. It's been done.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:31 PM

You know I always knew people on Alberta outdoorsman were great law abiding citizens and if I was to guess I would've said no one on AO speeds. You guys are ridiculous " I never speed" " I've never had a ticket " "Ohhhh I never do anything wrong. I speed all the time and I get tickets for doing so. Construction zones and playground or school zones is where everyone should mind there p's and q's.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesneights View Post
You know I always knew people on Alberta outdoorsman were great law abiding citizens and if I was to guess I would've said no one on AO speeds. You guys are ridiculous " I never speed" " I've never had a ticket " "Ohhhh I never do anything wrong. I speed all the time and I get tickets for doing so. Construction zones and playground or school zones is where everyone should mind there p's and q's.
Last ticket I got was in 1997 10 over in Jasper park, missed the sign because of a parked semi.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
oh are you going to blow this thread wide open.......

Biggest reason? Idiots that do not know or care when enough is enough.

This is going to be a looooong list
There are many other places in the world where speed limits are over 110 and they get along fine. The speed limit has been capped at 100-110 for a long time now but vehicles have taken large steps in making them safer and easier to operate at higher speeds. We as a country have some very wide open safe low traffic roads that could easily have higher speed limits with negligible effects on safety. The one issue might be that 110 is plenty at times in the winter but there are countries that have weather dependent speed limits and no reason Canada couldn't incorporate something similar to keep winter driving safe.
Closed Thread