Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-15-2015, 08:18 PM

Default Left hand 22 hornet

I'm sure this has come up in the past, but does anyone know of or have a left handed 22 hornet? It's been on my ultimate list for guns for a while, but I'm yet to find one. Anyone ever had one? Or shot one or would sell one? Thanks.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:12 PM

The only left hand bolt action hornets I know of are made by Browning in their Micro Hunter series and Zastava in the model 85. I own a Browning currently and have had a couple of others. Very accurate guns that are a real pleasure to shoot. Have never tried the Zastava.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:43 PM

You could also go for a ruger no1 if you like single shots like me or the cheaper option NEF handi-rifle they where chambered in 22 hornet. I don't know if they are still being made and if going with the ruger used is the only way your going to get One
Old 01-16-2015, 05:54 AM

I've looked into it but really want the repeater. I found one left hand one for sale ever, searched everywhere and now I can't seem to find another one. I've been looking for a super long time. I've found HR, ruger No 1, TC barrels, lots of right hand browning, old savage 340s, new savage 40s, savage 25, winchester 43s. Yet to find a browning again though.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:15 AM

Phone Elwood Epps and Bashaw Sports. I ordered one through Bashaw a few of years ago, took over two years to come in, and bought the one after that from Epps. Try Corwin Arms for the Zastava.

I have 22 Hornet and 218 Bee on Ruger #3 actions. They are great shooting guns but take a LOT of fiddling with to get them to shoot well, and even at their best the bolts out shoot them,

As other options, Cooper makes left hand bolts but they weren't making repeaters last time I checked. Ultra Light Arms will make you one in left hand or you can have a left hand CZ 527 made into a Hornet, new barrel and swap the bottom metal and magazine.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:28 AM

[QUOTE=Dean2;2699498]
I have 22 Hornet and 218 Bee on Ruger #3 actions. They are great shooting guns but take a LOT of fiddling with to get them to shoot well, and even at their best the bolts out shoot .

I guess I got lucky with my #1 (same basic action as #3)it shot just as good as my savage 40 with my loads and thats better than a lot of other centerfires so the savage new on the greener pastures
Old 01-16-2015, 08:45 AM

RT

After a lot of work my 3#s shoot well but they won't do .350 MOA consistently at two hundred yards like the Browning and CZ bolt guns will. Load is 12.6 grains Lil'Gun, WW brass, Federal Small Pistol Primers and 40 grain Blitzking bullets.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:18 AM

When ever I've talked to a smith they said they can't re barrel, as the hornet is a rimmed cartridge it's really hard to get the right extractor, etc.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:34 PM

I know it's not ideal, but I am also a left handed shooter, and have a right handed Brno ZKW-465 in 22 hornet. I find the rifle is short, compact and light enough that I can hold the rifle at the grip, and cycle the action with the right hand fast enough for follow up shots, and have shot several double dogs this way. It would be very different if it was a full size 8lb rifle I suspect. I do not think it would be worth the money or the hassle for a Ruger #1 or #3 for the price, and what you lose in accuracy, and a repeater if shooting varmints. If shooting paper only different story. I have a Ruger #1 in .243 laminate stainless and it has taken on the nickname 'Money Pit'!
Old 01-17-2015, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigorgohome View Post
When ever I've talked to a smith they said they can't re barrel, as the hornet is a rimmed cartridge it's really hard to get the right extractor, etc.
Either they don't want to be bothered doing he extra work or they don't know what they are doing. It is a bit of work to do he conversion but it is easily doable. Try talking to a couple of the top smiths and see what they have to say.