Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgetter View Post
Wow is that how you do it where you are from?
I do not need a history lesson from you as I am well aware when Alberta became a province but alot of people probably do not have a clue.
Was your grandma born in Alberta?
No Rupert's land as it was known then....
Old 08-05-2014, 04:36 PM

Interesting comments - well, some of 'em anyway.

My nickel's comments:
I've lived in a number of places - several in Ontario where I was born and raised, and
I was always proud to say I'm a Canadian,
when I lived stateside in Michigan,
I was always proud to say I'm a Canadian
Now that I live in Alberta (6 years),
I have been proud to say I'm a Canadian.

They've all been good places to live, every one of them has it's own 'flavour', and there's even some 'red necks' in all of those places I've been . Of course, they've all have their negatives as well as positives.
I could possibly have opportunity to live in other provinces, or even south of the border yet - due to where my career takes me - but wherever that may be -----
I'll still be proud to say I'm a Canadian ----- one blessed to have been able to experience life in many places.

(Yes, I do now have Alberta plates on my vehicles and an Alberta driver's license in my wallet ).
Old 08-05-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade81 View Post
I think Alberta has lost it's indentity, or maybe it's changed. But I think most any "albertan" would agree, it used to be a better place than it is now.
Exactly when are you comparing the present with. I believe there has never been a time in history where the common man lived better and had more opportunities than present day Alberta. With the huge boom in the population there is bound to be issues that where not there at one time. That is to be expected. What I think some would like is to go back to a time when Alberta was a sleepy agricultural province. I assure you, there were lots of issues back then. Maybe you should google, social credit party. This will give you some idea of the problems farmers faced back in the good old days.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
A true Albertan is anyone residing here that loves and respects the province.
Yup !

An Albertan to me is like PP says, Someone who loves and respects our land as if it was there own!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-05-2014, 09:09 PM

This is what I felt like when I first moved here and my car said it was - 45

Albertan in my opinion is someone who contributes to making this province a better place. And bitches about the cold in the winter and the 3 hot days we get in the summer
Old 08-05-2014, 10:06 PM

albertans are a bit redneck but generally make the best of things, they dont take summer for granted and keep given'er during winter while the non prairie provinces tap out. Generally a hardy, hard working population getting things done.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:25 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantonsen View Post
albertans are a bit redneck but generally make the best of things, they dont take summer for granted and keep given'er during winter while the non prairie provinces tap out. Generally a hardy, hard working population getting things done.
Yawn , its all canada ..its all cold after nov except a little bit west of the rockies. Cant say ive ever seem folks stop work any where in canada cause its cold . Gezze one winter at -35 labons entire framing crews shut down ..except our crew. one native, one Albertan a guy fom ontario and me lol kind of throws a loop in that theory. Ever try -5 on the water out east lol.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade81 View Post
I think Alberta has lost it's indentity, or maybe it's changed. But I think most any "albertan" would agree, it used to be a better place than it is now.
x2 I don't blame all the people who move here, whether from other parts of canada or other parts of the world, because who wouldn't want to improve their their lives or those of their family.
I do agree though, that Alberta's not the same as it used to be (except for the cold long winters). I miss the good old days.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Yawn , its all canada ..its all cold after nov except a little bit west of the rockies. Cant say ive ever seem folks stop work any where in canada cause its cold . Gezze one winter at -35 labons entire framing crews shut down ..except our crew. one native, one Albertan a guy fom ontario and me lol kind of throws a loop in that theory. Ever try -5 on the water out east lol.
Tell us about the time you were a logger in the Sahara Forest.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:31 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Tell us about the time you were a logger in the Sahara Forest.
Come on now dude suggested only the prairies work thru winter..cods wallop. I gave an example from my own experience. Runway in Tanzania not logging silly or did you mean building schools or the water filtration /pumping stations. Sorry rug its a big world out there i know it can be scary.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:44 PM

I was born and raised here. I farm and have a small oilfield service business. I can't imagine a better place to live and raise a family there is so much opportunity to prosper if a guy is willing to put in the work.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I dearly miss my Alberta from before the oil and gas boom. A nice quite place to enjoy and raise a family, since the 90's it's become more of a me first rat race, led by all these so called Albertans. Money does funny things to people.
X2, We were fortunate to have lived and enjoyed Alberta before the O&G mentality.

I am Alberta born. Great grandfather homesteaded in 1895.

And I must be a true blue Albertan because I do not believe I have to travel out of Alberta for anything I need. In the past 25 years I have left the province once for a 2 week BC holiday. Otherwise I would sooner explore Alberta. People come from around the world to see Alberta.... And I live here. A very fortunate life to have had.
There are more places to explore in Alberta than I can do in my lifetime. From the center of Alberta, roughly Swan Hills, if a person drives 4 hours in any direction and you are in a totally different ecosystem. From semi desert, to boreal forest, to foothills and mountains, to canadian sheild, etc..

And reasonably predicatable weather.

My kids' great (X 5)grandfather on their moms side came here as a voyageur, on record in 1804 with the NW co..

So my own family has a short root tapped here.

Where else ? in one day could I be snapping pics of rattlesnakes in the badlands at dawn and cariboo in the boreal forest at dusk...And mountain sheep the next day? ( I didn't say I have taken those pictures but I could have.)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-06-2014, 08:20 AM

Default What's an Albertan??

Your an albertan if you drink oil and p*ss excellence.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:56 AM

Iam Canadian born in Ontario joined the armed forces and was posted out in here in alberta in 1989. I haven't looked backed love living here.

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 08-06-2014, 10:21 AM

I remember my father telling us kids stories about Alberta: wagon wheel snakes, never ending summer sunsets and Rocky Mountains. Our family moved here in 1980 in search of a better futur. As it turns out, dad made the right choice.

Alberta is the land of opportunity and has become the wealthiest land in all the Americas. It a true symbol of what Confederation is and ought to be.

What's an Albertan you ask? To me, Albertans are hard working people who understand the value of their resources. A people who is still able to appreciate the fruits of their grand parents labour and are reminded of that as they drive by homesteads and hand cleared meadows. A people who understand that to live here before mechanization, was a life and death adventure and continue to contribute meaningfully to the same dream their forefathers had--a better life in wild rose country.

I've been here for 34 years and I consider Alberta my home and I understand that I will, one day, become, in time, a forefather as well. I will rest easy knowing that I also contributed in my own way to the betterment of my adoptive province.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:05 PM

My grandfather immigrated here from Europe in 1908. He volunteered for the Canadian Army in 1915 and spent the best part of 4 years fighting the same oppressions that caused him to immigrate. I have 2 uncles who fought the Axis powers in WW II, one of whom was wounded in combat. I am a Canadian first and proud of it! My family has 4 generations born and raised in Alberta, and it is disheartening to see "Albertans" bad mouth other Canadians trying to make a living. I don't begrudge people from across the land coming to Alberta to make a living, I would rather see that, than an influx of immigrants get these jobs, while there are Canadians willing to fill the positions. Many of these Canadian workers grab the money and run back to their home province to spend it. So be it. I do think that these people should payer a much higher Provincial tax though. The burden the transient labor force puts on our Infrastructure, Healthcare and legal systems, fish and wildlife etc., shouldn't be paid for by the rest of the population willing to make Alberta their "place of residence".
Old 08-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Banned

We are all very lucky and fortunate to live in this great country. If you have spent time wearing a uniform for us I hold you in high regard.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:51 PM

I was born in Alberta and raised on a farm outside Glendon till I was 11. Then my parents decided to move to Florida. And during my 6 years there I dreamed of moving back to Alberta. When I was done High School I moved back to Alberta. Now im 28 and wouldnt live anywhere else. I love Alberta. (That being said ive been all over North America and I also love many other places. I have some fond memories of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick also. I am a Citizen of Canada. And to seperate myself from such would be Arrogant (much like alot of quebecers). I consider Myself Canadian Foremost.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:46 PM

An Albertan is someone who lives in Alberta and plans to continue to permanently. Period.

A lot of wishful thinking here trying to stereotype down to one political or cultural view. The province has as much political, religious, and cultural diversity as anywhere else in Canada. The proportions are just skewed a little more towards the right and white. But obviously we all aren't the same, or Wildrose would have gotten 100% of the popular vote last election.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
An Albertan is someone who lives in Alberta and plans to continue to permanently. Period.

A lot of wishful thinking here trying to stereotype down to one political or cultural view. The province has as much political, religious, and cultural diversity as anywhere else in Canada. The proportions are just skewed a little more towards the right and white. But obviously we all aren't the same, or Wildrose would have gotten 100% of the popular vote last election.
That is an odd answer. The type of answer that an Albertan wouldn't leave. There is something very strange about your answer, its almost as if you wante. . . . A WITCH!!! A WITCH!!! HE'S A WITCH, BURN HIM!!!! OK I need everyone with a pitchfork to meet in Okotoks tonight. Now if Okotokian would be so kind as to provide us with his address, so we don't have to raze all of Okotoks.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:32 PM

Default Give'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean2287 View Post
these guys?

I went to high school with these two. Good to see Paul's moustache has filled in a bit