Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-23-2012, 12:26 PM

Default help? interested in taxidermy

Hey guys,

My father is now nearing retirement. Running his own company and being a roofer for over 30 years has taken a toll on his body. He's always been a huge perfectionist with all he overtakes. Carpenter by trade but he's dabbled with anything hands on, and of course a huge outdoorsmen.

Last summer we went out fishing west of edmonton, and he was fortunate enough to pulled out a nice grayling. He immediately wanted to get it stuffed. So he took it to a taxidermist, not sure who, but as he described it, and older fellow. My dad jokes around saying he sure hopes he get the fish back before.... well you know. Also he was told this gentleman made all the fish mounts in WSS south, and of course he also does big game mounts and all.

None the less, since that day he's mentioned he would really enjoy start taxidermy in his retirement. Personally, i think he would be able to produce some very nice work. I had a couple conversations about it with him and found out, when he was younger, he helped a taxidermist work for a little bit and he's always thought of getting into it as a hobby, perhaps.

So I'll get to the point. I want to help him get started.
Wondering if anyone with a bit of experience would point me in a direction of where to get him going? He's really not good with computers so having him watch youtube video's would not work. Wether it be a great book about taxidermy. His birthday is coming up, maybe a great set of tools necessary

My mom keeps bugging him to go ask the taxidermist doing his fish if he would be willing to have my dad as a helper to learn and such, i think it would be a great idea as well. not surre if he would ever be up to it though. My dad doesn't work winters and has a ton of free time on his hands to learn and help. Even if anyone might be interested in some help he may be interested in helping.I guess thats it. Thanks all
Cheers, Happy holidays!
Old 12-23-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoric View Post
Hey guys,

My father is now nearing retirement. Running his own company and being a roofer for over 30 years has taken a toll on his body. He's always been a huge perfectionist with all he overtakes. Carpenter by trade but he's dabbled with anything hands on, and of course a huge outdoorsmen.

Last summer we went out fishing west of edmonton, and he was fortunate enough to pulled out a nice grayling. He immediately wanted to get it stuffed. So he took it to a taxidermist, not sure who, but as he described it, and older fellow. My dad jokes around saying he sure hopes he get the fish back before.... well you know. Also he was told this gentleman made all the fish mounts in WSS south, and of course he also does big game mounts and all.

None the less, since that day he's mentioned he would really enjoy start taxidermy in his retirement. Personally, i think he would be able to produce some very nice work. I had a couple conversations about it with him and found out, when he was younger, he helped a taxidermist work for a little bit and he's always thought of getting into it as a hobby, perhaps.

Wondering if anyone with a bit of experience would point me in a direction of where to get him going? He's really not good with computers so having him watch youtube video's would not work. Wether it be a great book about taxidermy. His birthday is coming up, maybe a great set of tools necessary

My mom keeps bugging him to go ask the taxidermist doing his fish if he would be willing to have my dad as a helper to learn and such, i think it would be a great idea as well. not surre if he would ever be up to it though. My dad doesn't work winters and has a ton of free time on his hands to learn and help. Even if anyone might be interested in some help he may be interested in helping.I guess thats it. Thanks all
Cheers, Happy holidays!
Can you look at hunting dis ipost my taxidermy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03284.jpg (41.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03286.jpg (41.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03285.jpg (42.8 KB, 31 views)
Old 12-23-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super mario View Post
Can you look at hunting dis ipost my taxidermy
ya i saw your post, kinda gave me the idea of asking on the forum.

Any good books to read to get started?
Is there a good quality knife set with to use?
I'm just trying to help my dad by giving a little push. Where's a good place to start.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
ya i saw your post, kinda gave me the idea of asking on the forum.

Any good books to read to get started?
Is there a good quality knife set with to use?
I'm just trying to help my dad by giving a little push. Where's a good place to start.
internet you can order from taxidermy suplies from calgary they have evrething you need my fav is SELECTtaxidermy products
Old 12-25-2012, 04:43 PM

Is a course essential to sending in a cape to be tanned?
Old 12-25-2012, 06:18 PM

If your in Calgary, or order some books from AAA Taxidermy in Calgary. I would suggest the Break Through whitetail and the Break Through mounting a pheasant. It covers how to tan your own hides and start to finish how to mount a whitetail. That's how I got started 30 years ago and have mounted lots of head since. Once he decides if he wants to persue it fether he can get into a flashing machine and all the other stuff. The first 50 or so hides I tamed I used a fleshing beam and a wire wheel on a drill (still can't believe I did it that way) but it worked.. All he really needs to get started on deer is a stand, and if your around Lethbridge I hav an extra one he can borrow and he could use my fleshing machine as well..
Good luck..
If you want you can PM me your phone number and I can give you a call..

Jim..
Old 12-25-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Is a course essential to sending in a cape to be tanned?
No... He just needs to know how to split the lips, nose and eyes and turn the ears, Salk well and it's ready to be sent to a tannery, or to tan it your self.
Self tanning takes a few days and about 2 hours of your time if you have a good fleshing machine..
Old 12-25-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Hey guys,

Cheers, Happy holidays!
Taxidermy.net. Spend some time there.