Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-08-2022, 03:55 PM
Banned

Default Switch from 10" to 8"?

I have an Ion R1 with a 10" flite. I'm thinking of downsizing to 8". Battery would last longer, holes would be easier to drill now that the kids are old enough to do it, any other benefits?

How about downsides?
Old 03-08-2022, 04:02 PM

There are no downsides, any fish in Alberta other than a sturgeon will fit through an 8" hole. For whites a 10" hole is a royal pain as they are big enough for the whites to turn around in. The area of an 8" hole is 50.25" the area of a 10" hole is 78.5". That is over 50% more work. Imagine being able to drill 50% more holes, battery life for the trip and battery life over the years. 10" makes no sense for an e auger, IMO anyway.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-08-2022, 04:07 PM

8” is fine if you’re having battery issues. Otherwise 10” is the way to go IMO. Easier to land fish (especially big ones), easier to fish out of the same hole as electronics, better for sight fishing, and on and on. Having said that, I did go in up to my knee on a 10” hole yesterday on Dief as the wind had blown over our holes. Didn’t get wet as the gaitors were done up on the Striker bibs (that’s what they’re for ), but I could have really buggered my knee in the middle of nowhere. That’s about the only negative.
Old 03-09-2022, 12:39 PM

I agree on the 10 inch being better for me as well. Having a Garmin unit as well it just helps with space if I'm hole hoping. Also, I like to sight fish for whites and a 10 inch provides a much better view ...especially in deeper water whites.
Old 03-09-2022, 03:58 PM

Only need a 10" hole if you have really big ling, 6 - 8 pd walleye, and 15 pd pike....

which is why I have a 10" auger. (Big Ling are a real pain to land in a small hole as they like to try and curl their tail going in).

Drewski
Old 03-09-2022, 04:11 PM
Banned

I'll finish this season off with the 10".

Thought about it and realized we only have a couple of tries left before we won't need an auger for another few months. That and my one shot scoop would be useless and I'd need to buy another one of those. Maybe in the off-season I get an 8" auger with one of those plasticky space flites.

A guy can only dream...
Old 03-09-2022, 05:57 PM

Like how many holes do you drill lol. I've drilled 50+ holes with my 10" strikemaster over the course of a weekend through 24-30" of ice and never ran a battery down yet....this is my 4th year with it. I went from a gas 8" to the 40v 10" and could never see myself wanting an 8 again. I typically don't fish perch or whites though....mostly pike Lakers burbot and walleye.
Old 03-09-2022, 06:09 PM

it is easier to get those 8 lb whites in a 10 inch hole then the 8 inch .
Old 03-10-2022, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.crentist View Post
I'll finish this season off with the 10".

Thought about it and realized we only have a couple of tries left before we won't need an auger for another few months. That and my one shot scoop would be useless and I'd need to buy another one of those. Maybe in the off-season I get an 8" auger with one of those plasticky space flites.

A guy can only dream...
I reverse my auger and blow the chips of ice down the hole. I do scoop out the snow as I go though since I use a double 10 inch hole for pike, if Im on a small fish lake I go to 1 hole but those are hard to find around here
OP if you want to go down to 8 inch maybe someone would swap you flights if they want to upsize their auger?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-10-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
There are no downsides, any fish in Alberta other than a sturgeon will fit through an 8" hole. For whites a 10" hole is a royal pain as they are big enough for the whites to turn around in. The area of an 8" hole is 50.25" the area of a 10" hole is 78.5". That is over 50% more work. Imagine being able to drill 50% more holes, battery life for the trip and battery life over the years. 10" makes no sense for an e auger, IMO anyway.

I agree with this. Small trout also can turn around in a 10 inch hole easier and get off.
That being said I do use a 10 inch the first couple trips of the year with my auger. Mostly due to it being a shorter lighter weight flight for my jiffy and I am walking on(ice too thin to drive) and packing it out.
Only other advantage I see is when ice is fairly thin still you can see a larger area underneath with a 10 inch hole in the shack.

Once the ice thickens up its 8 inch for the rest of the season. Drills quicker and a 25LB pike still fits through.