Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-27-2022, 04:21 PM

Default Ice Fishing Charity - there is such a thing!

Had a nice fellow by the name of Brad take real pity on me. At crawling valley on Saturday this nice gentleman watch my fool self try hand drilling through almost 30 inches of ice. Walked a good distance with his electric auger to punch a couple holes. Truly appreciated the very kind gesture. Not to mention I had my best day of ice fishing ever. Iced between 8 and 10 pike in 2 hours. Super exciting! Thanks Brad. You made my day!
Old 02-27-2022, 04:44 PM

Default A Good man

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerynut View Post
Had a nice fellow by the name of Brad take real pity on me. At crawling valley on Saturday this nice gentleman watch my fool self try hand drilling through almost 30 inches of ice. Walked a good distance with his electric auger to punch a couple holes. Truly appreciated the very kind gesture. Not to mention I had my best day of ice fishing ever. Iced between 8 and 10 pike in 2 hours. Super exciting! Thanks Brad. You made my day!
Great story! It’s nice to hear people helping out when they can in any situation. Good man Brad. I wish you good karma 10 fold.
Old 02-27-2022, 04:54 PM

I remember starting with a hand auger and hated it. I always offer to drill some holes with my gas auger when I see someone using a hand auger
Old 02-27-2022, 06:41 PM

That's awesome, I know just getting through 20 or so is rough by hand, u can't imagine doing 30.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2022, 07:10 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Yup some awesome people out there willing to help, from drilling holes, getting your vehicle out of a jam, giving advice and just for a casual conversation too!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-27-2022, 07:54 PM

I'm fundamentally lazy. I yell at them to come over to me and get the ION, tell them which buttons to push, and let them have a tear on it. Good on Brad for helping you out though for sure. And grats on a good day on the ice.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:49 PM

Great to hear. How has the walleye fishing at CV been this winter?
Old 02-28-2022, 08:50 AM

Always great to hear stories like this! Well done, Brad, wherever you are.

I have to laugh, reading this thread, I wonder how I managed for decades without a power auger. It was always the old-timers who had them.

I ended up going in on one with my father-in-law when we started taking the kids out, mainly because I had to get the holes punched quickly before the kids' patience wore off...
Old 02-28-2022, 11:41 AM

About a month ago my wife and I were fishing trout and a truck came across the lake and parked about 300 yards away. A fellow got out and unloaded his gear then grabbed his power auger to cut holes. He had a woman and a kid with him. He starts yankin' and crankin' over that old Jiffy and it won't start. fires for a second several times and quits. I watch and he tops up the gas tank and tried again...nada, nothing! I looked at my wife and said "I'll be back in a couple minutes. I pulled up two lines, grabbed my auger and walked over to see him. I asked if he wanted some holes drilled just point to where he wants them and says this is my first time fishing here so I don't know the lake. I said ok well there is a nice little underwater point that has cabbage weed on it about 15 yards out from your truck and the trout like to cruise that weed line. I drilled him about a dozen holes. He was totally enthralled with my SM40V and asked all about it. I said here try it. He cuts a couple holes and he's sold. I said that enough for you? He says yes and thanks me then asks if I live at such and such an address? I looked at him suspiciously and cautiously..... Yes...he says your my gf's neighbor across the road. I looked at him and only then realized what he looked like. I never saw him face to face before, never once even clicked on who the woman and kid walking around were with him and didn't even recognize his truck! LOL
Next evening there is a knock at my door, I answer the door and he's there and says thanks for yesterday, I really appreciate it. He said he caught two bows and both went 4lbs and were his pb. He tried to hand me a $20 bill for drilling him holes and I said no I didn't do it to get paid....just pay it forward some day to someone you come across who can't get their auger running...
Old 02-28-2022, 05:36 PM

I thought this thread was to see if someone has ice fishing gear that they are donated to some starters, but good on the people that help others on the ice
Old 03-01-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
I'm fundamentally lazy. I yell at them to come over to me and get the ION, tell them which buttons to push, and let them have a tear on it. Good on Brad for helping you out though for sure. And grats on a good day on the ice.
I refuse to do that anymore. I always drill the holes.

All it took was some guy smashing the blade down on the ice and ruined the auger for the day.

When I asked what he thought he was doing he said he was just starting the hole.

So rather than lecture each person on how to use a pen auger I drill myself.

I explain how to drill properly in case they every borrow someone’s auger.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-01-2022, 10:41 AM

I haven't had that happen to me personally, although it wouldn't surprise me to see it.
Old 03-04-2022, 04:40 PM

Default Glad to help a guy out

Hi Andrew, I had this sent to me and it was so nice to see that me drilling you a couple of holes made your day. It was my best day on the ice ever as well.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:30 PM

Default Ice fishing charity

I remember back in the day, late 70’s-early 80’s, all we had was a 6” hand auger. That’s pretty much all anybody had. We drilled a lot of holes with those things, and caught a lot of Wabamun lake whitefish through those 6” holes.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Bender View Post
Hi Andrew, I had this sent to me and it was so nice to see that me drilling you a couple of holes made your day. It was my best day on the ice ever as well.
Well it sure is a small world and I never expected you'd find your way to our humble forum. You truly made my day awesome. The only reason I left to go home was because I ran out of bait. What an afternoon! You made it possible so thanks again. Hopefully we run into each other out on the ice. I owe you a cold one. I think everyone needs a Brad in their corner. I've got mine!🤣🤣
Old 03-06-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Bender View Post
First class Brad. I like to think the great fishing was a little karma for you. Good on you.