Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-30-2014, 09:29 AM

Easy solution is if its going to happen its going to happen......don't use it if you don't like it....i like the idea of not being able to be bothered by endless emails that come through none stop, other hand it will make my kids happy and keep them entertained when the fishing is slow....and not bothering me none stop about when can we go home !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbotism View Post
Or maybe not, your choice to use it or ignore it!!
Yes and I will ignore it but with the price of camping, i can see sites going up 10 bucks a night now..
Old 04-30-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Exactly, it is the same with so many issues that come up on here. If I do want it, or need it, then no one should want or need it.
I get that some people want all the technology and convenience but when you are surrounded by it, it also affects the experience of those who want a more natural experience.

I think that the solution is to have high and low tech campgrounds. Just like we have some lakes with no motorized boats, and some bodies of water that are catch and release. Pick what you want.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:15 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoo View Post
Even if you don't use it, you will hear video games from every direction. They should also make WIFI free zones. No different than the stereos or TVs I guess. Whatever.
Ahhh the sounds of nature and the great outdoors!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-30-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackmacs View Post
http://globalnews.ca/news/1295900/co...he-wilderness/

It'll be nice for emergencies in places without towers. Especially for sharing catch pictures ASAP!

Thoughts?
Agree with ehntr - the "public safety" is a red herring to sell it. Anywhere they are likely to put wi-fi towers will probably already have cell coverage. They will almost certainly Not be beeming wi-fi signals into every glen and glade in the backcountry.

The main thing I don't like about it is the likeliness that it will lead to decreased wilderness experiences - are we really so dependant on the grid to entertain us every waking moment of the day? We can't wait a few days before we upload our lives to the 'net to brag about the fun we hope others wish they were having? I guess mostly I don't like what it says about how we value and interact with nature. But that is a whole other issue - rant over -
Old 04-30-2014, 01:55 PM

money well spent.. not a issue with me

David
Old 04-30-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackmacs View Post
http://globalnews.ca/news/1295900/co...he-wilderness/

It'll be nice for emergencies in places without towers. Especially for sharing catch pictures ASAP!

Thoughts?
I believe the title for the article is misleading - what a surprise! I don't think you will see wifi available in remote wilderness areas. It sounds like wifi will be avaiable in info centres, campgrounds, mostly places that already have cell coverage. As far as Public Safety, you could email one of the 2 Parks Canada 24 hour emergency dispatch centres for help.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:30 AM

I am all for it, but only if you are lying under the stars at 2am and can hear the guy in the tent in the next site connect with old school dial-up.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:35 PM

I could care less as long as the taxpayer or non-using park patron doesn't have to pay for it. But of course, we WILL have to pay for it.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:59 PM

I don't see the big deal about wifi in parks.

One will either use it or not. It is no different that having a data plan on a mobile device or tablet and bringing it with you. The only main difference is you will not be charged for the data in most sites if you are using wifi.

Having wifi in a park will not degrade my experience. Your experience is exactly what you make it.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post

One will either use it or not. It is no different that having a data plan on a mobile device or tablet and bringing it with you. The only main difference is you will not be charged for the data in most sites if you are using wifi.

Having wifi in a park will not degrade my experience. Your experience is exactly what you make it.
I couldn't care less about someone using the wifi in the park either - but as Oko says - we will all have to pay for it. Useless waste of money that could be better spent actually enhancing the wilderness for the animals that live there.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:41 PM

Default Good

Is there anything more predictable or boring than a national park ,
Disney World of the outdoors . Like wifi,s gonna hurt something
Outlaw those ugly walking shorts and calf length socks ,or cellulite .
Sandals and work socks ......25 dollar ice field walkways .
Old 05-01-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post

Agree

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-01-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
Yes and I will ignore it but with the price of camping, i can see sites going up 10 bucks a night now..
I've never paid to camp in my life. This won't affect me at all while I'm out in the bush, random camping and laughing at the people who make a big deal of paying to sleep outside in rural parking lots.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteland.soldier View Post
rural parking lots.
exactly! my as well have wifi while sitting in the airconditioned rv waiting for the microwave to ding, packed in side by side like city sardines......lmao!!!! But nooo!!!! Some people want little Billy and Sarah to have a true wilderness experience, which means no wifi. lol.

Tags
canada, fishing, parks, wifi, wilderness