Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-20-2018, 08:27 PM

Default Golden trout

Why did Alberta stop stocking golden trout and will they stock goldens again?
Old 04-20-2018, 09:15 PM

I was wondering the same thing before I went to Southfork Lakes last year. The last stocking dates I could find were 2008 and 2010 and only in the Southfork Lakes. These fish only live to be around 8 years old so they should all be at the end of their lifespan now.

Fishing was a lot tougher then when I went for them in 2015 and I wasn't seeing as many but they were still in there. I only managed to catch one in 2 days and another 6 or so people that were up there all got skunked but like I say you could see them surfacing and swimming around.

I don't know when the last time they stocked Michelle or Coral was but I have seen reports saying both of them still have fish as well. Either the fish are naturally reproducing in all these lakes or they haven't been updating the stocking reports.

Hopefully they don't stop stocking them and they all die off. They are a neat species to catch even if they are pathetically small lol.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:04 AM

I really don't care size. I just like the colours.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:45 AM

The places they reside, to the unexperienced hiker, are quite difficult to access. However it’s worth it. Make sure you don’t go solo!
Old 04-21-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
The places they reside, to the unexperienced hiker, are quite difficult to access. However it’s worth it. Make sure you don’t go solo!
Southfork is a fairly short hike but man does the steepness catch you off guard especially if carrying gear to camp and fish. It would be a lot nicer to hike up as a day trip with minimal gear but considering how tough the fishing can be I will always plan on camping up there.

I went solo and wasn't worried about it but make sure you have bear spray etc. There are usually quite a few other people up there(if you go on a weekend, not sure about weekdays) so easy to get help if needed. Attempting any of the other options alone is likely a poor choice though.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Southfork is a fairly short hike but man does the steepness catch you off guard especially if carrying gear to camp and fish. It would be a lot nicer to hike up as a day trip with minimal gear but considering how tough the fishing can be I will always plan on camping up there.

I went solo and wasn't worried about it but make sure you have bear spray etc. There are usually quite a few other people up there(if you go on a weekend, not sure about weekdays) so easy to get help if needed. Attempting any of the other options alone is likely a poor choice though.
I haven’t been there, thanks for the heads up! I went to a different one and it’s a short but difficult bushwhacking hike.
The fishing was really tough, but honesty they are some of the hardest fighting fish in Alberta - for their size haha