Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2018, 12:28 AM

Default Introduction

Hi Everyone,
Been browsing on here for a few weeks now and through I would finally register.
I currently live in the UK and am looking to move to Alberta with my wife next spring. We are heading over this summer to start looking at areas we want to live in. I work in the forestry industry over here, mostly in a fitters role fixing and maintaining the machinery. I love the outdoors and am big on rifle shooting, mostly deer but other vermin too.
Any advice on the move, job prospects, shooting opportunities once moved would be great.
Thanks for reading
Dave
Old 04-26-2018, 01:21 AM

Welcome to the forum. There is still a fairly large Forestry industry in Canada so it will be more about picking where you want to live and work than pretty much anything else. Good mechanics are always hard to come by in Forestry or the Oil Patch. Money tends to be a lot better in the patch, places like Ft McMurray and Dawson pay a premium to get qualified people up there to work.

If you like the far north there are lots of jobs in your field in the Yukon, Yellowknife, Churchill, Flin Flon etc, just make sure you negotiate the right deal as the cost of living in the far North is truly astronomical. Basically you want 150% of a southern salary, and fully paid housing, including heat, electrical etc, company vehicle and paid food.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:41 PM

Thanks for coming back to me Dean. Some really good advice. I think to start with we will be looking at places 1-2hrs outside of Calgary, mostly for convenience.
Does anyone know the process for bringing a rifle over and registering it over there etc?
Old 05-01-2018, 12:00 AM

Google “Canadian Firearms Program” and click on Non Residents .... and then on “moving to Canada”. You will find all the requirements and forms you need.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave177 View Post
Thanks for coming back to me Dean. Some really good advice. I think to start with we will be looking at places 1-2hrs outside of Calgary, mostly for convenience.
Does anyone know the process for bringing a rifle over and registering it over there etc?
Welcome to Alberta,

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/im-ex-eng.htm

There is a large expat community

http://britishexpats.com/articles/canada/uk-to-alberta/

I am not of British origin but couple of my co-workers are. They like it here.

If you come to Edmonton, pm me, we can go to a range for some plinking.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
If I were you I would be looking at places a couple of hours out of Edmonton. The work prospects will be a lot better, house prices are lower and the hunting and fishing is far superior. There is also a lot more crown land that is easy to access. Places like Edson, Hinton Slave Lake, Drayton Valley, Whitecourt, Smokey Lake, Cold Lake, Ft McMurray and Grand Prairie have a much larger demand for people with your skill set than does southern Alberta where the majority of small towns are agricultural based. Ag areas tend to have significantly lower wage ranges.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
There is a mill about 15 minutes from the western outskirts of Calgary. One of West Frasers most profitable mills is within 1.5 hours of Calgary. Best 2 options if wanting to be in that area
Old 05-01-2018, 09:50 AM

"Mostly deer but OTHER vermin too???
Sure deer can be a bit of a pest but vermin???
Just playing with ya...
Welcome!!!
Old 05-01-2018, 10:16 AM

Just an additional suggestion, Calgary is gopher country with no trees. If you want a Forestry job North and West of Edmonton is where the trees are and most of the best hunting areas in Alberta.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Just an additional suggestion, Calgary is gopher country with no trees. If you want a Forestry job North and West of Edmonton is where the trees are and most of the best hunting areas in Alberta.
Welcome aboard Dave...id just like to throw my hat into the help ring and say Big Grey Wolf has a good point here...
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 05-01-2018, 12:55 PM

Tons of work here in Grande Prairie: forestry, oil & gas and agriculture. I suggest you check it out.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:27 PM

Buy a good coat!