Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-18-2018, 03:54 PM

Default Survival/first aid kit

Ladies and Gents

I was thinking about putting together a survival kit for my hunting excursions. Hopefully something around the 48-72hrs ish worth of immediate supplies, and the first aid bits. Any suggestions? I hunt mostly in the Rockies. Anything from the sack to the bits inside will be helpful
Old 04-18-2018, 04:03 PM

Dryer lint for fires---very light/compact and works like a damn
Old 04-18-2018, 04:31 PM

Spot or inreach if you don't have one

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2018, 04:55 PM

I carry a crapload of standard stuff like sparehead lamp, multi-tool, folding saw, pressure bandage, duct tape, super glue, couple options of fire starter stuff, cordage, garbage bags, space blanket, compass, spare buckles, needle/thread, my meds, pen/paper, airways, esmarch bandage for tourniquet or sucking chest wound, moleskin, small wound stuff, etc... Doesn't actually take up much room at all...

However, when push comes to shove my biggest concern is being dry and warm. For this, I carry a gore-tex bivy sack, spare toque, spare socks, spare mitts, rain pants, and spare fleece/down jacket depending on time of year. In reality, I don't want my survival hinging on building a fire or shelter while I am cold and wet.

Matt
Old 04-18-2018, 05:05 PM

Some good threads on this already, do a search. I have added a few good tips from them.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:11 PM

I try not to search for past posts, since opinions change and such. It also turns a forum stagnant.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:00 PM

Do a search for older threads like mentioned. Lots of good tips over the past few years. A person should consider the older threads as a resource. Lots of the knowledge that has been imparted on AO is timeless.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-19-2018, 08:27 AM

A good knife, dry tinder and way to start fire should always be on your person. I recommend a good ferro rod along with some cotton balls and petroleum jelly stored in a waterproof match container. Add a quality whistle and some quick calories as well. Remember to keep these on your person, preferably attached to your belt so they are impossible to loose.
Really as a hunter you should have most of the required items in your pack already. Perhaps if you tell us your skill level and what you already carry we can help with a few add ons. You can have the best survival kit in the world but without the skill and knowledge to use it, its nothing more than an expensive paper weight.
For references you should google the following and select items you are familiar with:
personal survival kit or "PSK"
bug out bag or "BOB"
aviator survival vest contents.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 04-19-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jucebox View Post
I try not to search for past posts, since opinions change and such. It also turns a forum stagnant.

Not trying to be rude jucebox, but how old are you?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 04-19-2018, 03:56 PM

33 In may, but I've only been hunting for 7 years, when work has permitted it, and never over night, just early mornings and back home after nightfall.

My skill level would be fairly rookie ish when it comes to down right survival and woodsmanship. I can start fires and such fairly well (Many moons with a wood stove for the house heat, building one is fairly straight forward so far) I do carry a fire flint, compass, the ol cotton balls and petroleum jelly, probably 3 bics and two great and well maintained knives (not including the leatherman and two cheap paring knives for scent glands). Sometimes a kukri for some bush wacking. I want to grab some paracord this year, possible a small hatchet, some sort of cheap calorie (ration ish). But I was thinking about first aid for the most part, and what kind of water purification, Ive seen some sort of UV straw that sounds great. Im also debating a gps unit like the Garmin/DeLorme Inreach, the gps chip on my phone sucks.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
33 In may, but I've only been hunting for 7 years, when work has permitted it, and never over night, just early mornings and back home after nightfall.

My skill level would be fairly rookie ish when it comes to down right survival and woodsmanship. I can start fires and such fairly well (Many moons with a wood stove for the house heat, building one is fairly straight forward so far) I do carry a fire flint, compass, the ol cotton balls and petroleum jelly, probably 3 bics and two great and well maintained knives (not including the leatherman and two cheap paring knives for scent glands). Sometimes a kukri for some bush wacking. I want to grab some paracord this year, possible a small hatchet, some sort of cheap calorie (ration ish). But I was thinking about first aid for the most part, and what kind of water purification, Ive seen some sort of UV straw that sounds great. Im also debating a gps unit like the Garmin/DeLorme Inreach, the gps chip on my phone sucks.
Like Red Bullets and Sooner said, do an AO archive search. Many experienced outdoorsman have shared their hard won real life knowledge and it doesn't get much better.

Trying to reinvent the wheel can get a guy killed or seriously hurt in the wilderness. Not to mention the folks that gotta come find you.

As to your query on filtration-katadyn should be high up your list to begin your research on.

Creeky....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 04-20-2018, 08:27 AM

Before you buy your DeLorme inreach spot is coming out with a new product in a month or two they haven't released it yet though could be a cheaper option

Old 04-20-2018, 09:04 AM

I use a stainless steel mug to pack a few items in. Fire starter, wire, cordage, small bandages etc. Keeps those few emergency supplies together in a useful container
Old 04-23-2018, 09:49 PM

Interesting thoughts. Will definitely do some of those
Old 04-23-2018, 09:59 PM
Banned

I have a small first aid kit. 100 water proof matches. Magnesium and sparked. Carry a spool of small snare wore. 10 lithium. Batteries and flashlight and going to by head lamp.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:23 PM

I like the steel mug idea, that one I hadnt thought of, especially if I can find something that'll work as a lid for it to keep it neat.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:57 AM

No need to carry too much in our neck of the woods. If you’re ****ed, you’re ****ed, hence a plb is smart. Appropriate clothing is number one to surviving a couple nights. Don’t need snare wire and crap for a few day trip into the hills. It’s not like you’re canoeing down an uncharted river where you’re legitimately weeks from the nearest roads.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
No need to carry too much in our neck of the woods. If you’re ****ed, you’re ****ed, hence a plb is smart. Appropriate clothing is number one to surviving a couple nights. Don’t need snare wire and crap for a few day trip into the hills. It’s not like you’re canoeing down an uncharted river where you’re legitimately weeks from the nearest roads.
Hmmm.... I think there is a fair amount of truth to this. Any scenario where I am going to be stranded in the wilderness is likely going to involve an injury and whatever back-up I need to stay warm, fed and dry better not require a whole bunch of running around to set up.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I like the steel mug idea, that one I hadnt thought of, especially if I can find something that'll work as a lid for it to keep it neat.
Take a look at a vargo titanium bot 700 it has a screw on lid, can use it to boil water, if needed, and hold your backup kit, and titanium
Old 05-08-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Dryer lint for fires---very light/compact and works like a damn
x2.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:41 PM

My first aid kit keeps getting smaller year over year. It used to have all kinds of medical specialty items. Velcro tournequey, quick clot pad, Sam splint, etc.

But after not having to use more than band aids (electrical tape) and Advil, the first aid kit now fits in a sandwich sized zip lock bag.

I bring lots of just in case type of items tho, always have my silnylon poncho 5x8', a space blanket or two, always have two headlamps and extra batteries, even on day trips, a little MSR pocket rocket stove and small fuel canister, a mug and coffee, sugar, Clif shots. Also have Pristine water treatment pills.

I've never had to spent an unplanned evening on the mountain, but if I had to it wouldn't be too bad.

In the backpacker world, they say you pack your fears. Maybe I fear a cold night out more than an injury.....

Cheers.
John
highlanderhunting.com
Old 05-08-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Spot or inreach if you don't have one

x2 on the inreach. Very handy. Just to let people know you'll be late. Or to call for a meat hauling buddy.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:18 PM

Go through your first aid kit once a year and throw away and bandages, etc that might have had the wrapper worn off. I was once climbing with a lady when a big rock came down and hit her. Although minor damage she was bleeding a lot and some of the bandage material I had been lugging around for years was not sterile enough to use. You want to keep everything clean so you do not start infection with suspect bandage materials.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:43 PM

I ordered some Israeli bandages from Amazon that will be accompanying me - never know when a knife might slip or something like that. Got one for the quad too as my FIL got a nasty little gash last year and we had to use paper towel and zip ties to cover.

J.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:12 AM

If your looking mostly for the first aid end of things, bandaids, antiseptic wipes, moleskin, gauze pads, roll of transpore tape and tensor bandage will be your mainly used items. I carry a combat dressing and clotting sponges (not powder) in my kit as well in case of a deeper cut or worst case scenario a gun shot wound.

Adventure Medical makes some nice pre-designed kits. The Steelhead, Whitetail, Day Tripper, or Mountain Hiker is likely all you would ever need. Most of these can be found at Cabela's, Cambodian Tire or Amazon for cheap. Of course your needs depend on your skill level so if you haven't already, take a first aid course.

A GSI stainless steel mug fits perfectly around the bottom of a Nalgene bottle so I always have one of those in a Maxpedition bottle holder. The zipper pouch on the side also houses some drinking water tablets in 1L doses. A few tea bags and sugar packets as well can be a huge boost physiologically if you are lost. Fruit punch tastes great warm as well, a hot drink before going to bed helps keep your body temperature up during the night.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."