Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-18-2018, 12:16 PM

Default Walleye Tags

I know I don't have much time, but whats everyones opinion on getting walleye tags? I'm trying to judge if its worth my time to do it.
Thanks
Old 04-18-2018, 12:25 PM

I haven't checked lately but I believe they're good till March 31st

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2018, 12:59 PM

Most tags don’t even get filled. Guys apply for them then don’t even end up using them. Or guys get drawn that hardly fish and the die hards don’t get drawn.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
I know I don't have much time, but whats everyones opinion on getting walleye tags? I'm trying to judge if its worth my time to do it.
Thanks
Isn't that up to you? If you want do it, if you don't, have a nice day.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:04 PM

Is it worth the time/money to keep one fish? No! Absolutely not. You're better off to just go buy fish to eat if that is your concern.

If you plan on fishing anyways at a particular lake and like to keep a fish, then go ahead and get tags.

I fish Lac La Biche a few times a year regardless if I get drawn for walleye or not, so I apply there. I wouldn't apply somewhere though if I wasn't planning on already going.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:22 PM

Waste of money imo. It’s a joke
Old 04-19-2018, 06:55 AM

I always fish at Pigeon so I put in every year. I get a laugh out of people who say it's a waste of time and money. It takes 5 minutes to put in for draws and 20 bucks more or less. These same people that complain about the cost are asking on the forum of which flasher to buy or boat. If ya believe if it's a bad idea to apply for tags then simply don't. Our system isn't perfect but I am happy to take home a few fish during the season.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
I always fish at Pigeon so I put in every year. I get a laugh out of people who say it's a waste of time and money. It takes 5 minutes to put in for draws and 20 bucks more or less. These same people that complain about the cost are asking on the forum of which flasher to buy or boat. If ya believe if it's a bad idea to apply for tags then simply don't. Our system isn't perfect but I am happy to take home a few fish during the season.
Excatly.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
Thanks
No different than a hunting draw. $3 to apply. $10 for the tags if successful. Takes a few minutes all on-line. Tags are good for the angling season. Many lakes to choose from. I apply every year. Undersubscribed are often available also if you want to go down that route.

For the stupid argument that it’s a “cash grab” in 2017 roughly looking at it there were 15k applicants if 40% of people were drawn and assuming everyone who were drawn bought their tags it adds up to a whopping $100k... ya it’s a huge cash grab eh???

If you want to keep a few it’s great to have the opportunity to do so.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:57 AM

I did the 4 on one draw Took under 5 minutes so dont know about the the time comment. You have untill 11:59 pm on the 26th of April to enter so thats 8 days counting today. I enjoy a nice feed of fresh walleye so I always enter
Old 04-19-2018, 10:20 AM

Last year I did the unsubscribed and filled 2 out of 3 of them.

Was a good day on the lake, but I probably won't do it again.

For me the deciding factor was the distance to the available lakes from Calgary but if the lakes are close then why not.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:29 AM

Was all in for the first couple years of tags. Missed the next, didn't miss it so I haven't gone in since.
I find that fish fry in camp a couple times a year really makes it a special treat.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:49 AM

I apply at one lake only because I like the idea of having a fish fry with friends on the ice. There is a good chance I will be visiting that lake at some point anyways. If I don't get drawn it only builds my priority for when the government decides all walleye will be on draw.

Personally I wish the government would adopt better walleye management similar to Saskatchewan but for now this is all we've got.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 04-19-2018, 11:15 AM
Banned

Way cheaper to buy WALL at Costco...
Old 04-19-2018, 11:32 AM

If you are anything like me, you don't eat fish or game because they are cheaper (far from it) but because you like to. At any rate, tags are a lot cheaper than an out of province trip and all that entails if cheaper is your main concern.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:10 PM

Just to clarify. When I said it was a waste of time, I didn’t mean it was time consuming to fill out the draw. I meant it’s kind of a waste of time to drive out to a lake that could be hours away just to fill one walleye tag. That’s why I only apply at lakes I plan on fishing anyways.

But I guess you could use it as a way to motivate yourself to check out a new lake and explore some new water.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:24 PM

I supported the system when it was Pigeon, a lake that can't handle a 1 fish free for all harvest. Now the cancer is spreading, soon everything will be infected. I will no longer support. The people putting for draws will soon be able to for Pike as well. Who knows, maybe even Perch in a few years. The majority of my angling will be done in Sask for the time being.

Moose lake has been a 1 fish harvest for years now, the lakes fishery has improved vastly, perch are even starting to make a comeback. Tags....perch and pike will again be decimated, back to square one. They based the tags system on a creole study done 10+ years ago.

The actual draw system is easy to use, but the $ spent applying for the family, and purchase of tags will pay for a sask licence.

Spruce
Old 04-19-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
I supported the system when it was Pigeon, a lake that can't handle a 1 fish free for all harvest. Now the cancer is spreading, soon everything will be infected. I will no longer support. The people putting for draws will soon be able to for Pike as well. Who knows, maybe even Perch in a few years. The majority of my angling will be done in Sask for the time being.

Moose lake has been a 1 fish harvest for years now, the lakes fishery has improved vastly, perch are even starting to make a comeback. Tags....perch and pike will again be decimated, back to square one. They based the tags system on a creole study done 10+ years ago.

The actual draw system is easy to use, but the $ spent applying for the family, and purchase of tags will pay for a sask licence.

Spruce
Sweet more for me.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:36 PM

Always interesting to hear the various opinions. Hahahahahahah.
It was more than simply "do it or not", and the proof is the strategy I picked up from the various comments. This is why this is such an important blog site. Thanks all!
Old 04-20-2018, 03:51 PM

Old 04-20-2018, 09:35 PM

Back in the day moose was a general hunting licence.
Then came the moose draw. Maybe every second year you would get it.
5th year now and I still have not got drawn for moose.

One of these days it will take 5 years to get a walleye tag !
Old 04-21-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Back in the day moose was a general hunting licence.
Then came the moose draw. Maybe every second year you would get it.
5th year now and I still have not got drawn for moose.

One of these days it will take 5 years to get a walleye tag !
There’s 5 times the population and way more and better accessibility. Like moose hunting, the reduction in fish retention was inevitable. Too bad there’s no C&R hunting to at least keep a guy entertained.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:30 PM

Boycott.....my choice is to not support the continued flawed fisheries management practices that our government decision makers and fisheries “experts” are hell bent on stuffing down everybody’s throat....but that’s just me, do as you will, it’s your choice. It was apparent to me in the public meetings that they really didn’t care about all the public input, it was all lip service, and their minds were already made up despite their veiled attempt to pretend they were willing to listen to sport fisherman and other stakeholders to come up with a modernized fisheries management plan. In the end, just much more of the same b.s. I can’t support that and will use my vote accordingly in the next election. They can stick their tags and outdated, ill informed management strategies. I will just use more of my money to travel abroad in support of other jurisdictions that actually do a good job instead, because I can.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
There’s 5 times the population and way more and better accessibility. Like moose hunting, the reduction in fish retention was inevitable. Too bad there’s no C&R hunting to at least keep a guy entertained.
Well said.

Too bad we couldn't stock Elk eh!
Old 04-26-2018, 08:14 PM

Does any one know how the priority accumulation works for tags. This year I applied for A,B, and C tags. If I get draw for c tags do I increase my priority for A and B tags for next year?
Old 04-27-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper View Post
Does any one know how the priority accumulation works for tags. This year I applied for A,B, and C tags. If I get draw for c tags do I increase my priority for A and B tags for next year?
Yes.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:10 PM

If u miss a year for entering do you loose your priority?
Old 04-28-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verado eyes View Post
If u miss a year for entering do you loose your priority?
no
Old 04-28-2018, 08:21 PM

The only lake I put in for is Baptiste because that is the only lake I fish
Other than that I am a river fisherman
Cat