Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-03-2023, 08:10 PM

Default Can you launch a boat thread?

I’m looking at going to a travers reservoir tomorrow can you launch a boat still there.

Fell free to added lakes that you’ve recently been to or see if it’s possible to launch a boat.

August 24 you couldn’t launch at Milk River Ridge
Old 09-03-2023, 10:14 PM

In the same boat, would love an update!
Old 09-04-2023, 07:29 PM

Well took the boat for drive to travers and you can’t launch unless you’re willing to back down the gravel, to which I was not. The gravel is starting to get chewed up and rutted.
Old 09-04-2023, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
Well took the boat for drive to travers and you can’t launch unless you’re willing to back down the gravel, to which I was not. The gravel is starting to get chewed up and rutted.
Thanks for that, we had been to McGregor a couple weeks ago you could launch but be a tough retrieve

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 09-04-2023, 08:53 PM

Dozens of boats launching all weekend at Travers. One side is too shallow, the side closest to the dock works but has a big drop off the end of the blocks. You can get a boat in and out but we did see one trailer with a wheel torn off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2023, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox1 View Post
Dozens of boats launching all weekend at Travers. One side is too shallow, the side closest to the dock works but has a big drop off the end of the blocks. You can get a boat in and out but we did see one trailer with a wheel torn off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was that today(Sunday)? The wife did it like a pro as usual, backed all the way down the ramp, turned the trailer at the very end so truck was on concrete, trailer was half on launch, half on gravel (avoiding the hole) and it was no problem. The group of 4 after us watched in amazement but missed the important part (avoiding the hole) and looked like they did some damage to there trailer getting it back out. The wheel was no longer turning. We stayed to watch, the boat launch is always entertaining especially when it's like this!
Old 09-05-2023, 05:57 AM

I like fishing a lot but not at the expense on my stuff I need a least a 18” of water and there was no way I was getting that without going off the launch. Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Old 09-05-2023, 08:54 AM

Keho is full of water. Easy launch.
Old 09-05-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
Was that today(Sunday)? The wife did it like a pro as usual, backed all the way down the ramp, turned the trailer at the very end so truck was on concrete, trailer was half on launch, half on gravel (avoiding the hole) and it was no problem. The group of 4 after us watched in amazement but missed the important part (avoiding the hole) and looked like they did some damage to there trailer getting it back out. The wheel was no longer turning. We stayed to watch, the boat launch is always entertaining especially when it's like this!

That was on Saturday. I was just coming off the lake and didn’t see it happen but suspect he hooked up on the blocks and slid an axle back.
Old 09-05-2023, 05:04 PM

Default Badger

Someone asked about Badger a while ago but got no response. Can someone please post something about Badger? You can PM me if it's a secret.
Old 09-05-2023, 07:08 PM

Just don't understand that all these provincial boat launches never get up graded .They are never deep enough ,and some of them only have room for two boats to tie off as they go for their trailers . When you see how much money they bring in threw the campgrounds ,they could build a safer marina where people could load and unload in safety , not fun when weather gets bad and every one needs to get off fast .
Old 09-05-2023, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Just don't understand that all these provincial boat launches never get up graded .They are never deep enough ,and some of them only have room for two boats to tie off as they go for their trailers . When you see how much money they bring in threw the campgrounds ,they could build a safer marina where people could load and unload in safety , not fun when weather gets bad and every one needs to get off fast .
Agreed! And now is a great time to repair/upgrade the launches with all of the low water in the south, but I doubt a single one of them will see any work.
Old 09-10-2023, 07:41 PM

Default Police Outpost

Yesterday was a great day to be on the lake! Water level is down a couple of feet, but no problem launching or loading my 17 ft. Trolling for the planted RB’s was steady, definitely not disappointed. Noticed that the fly fishers in the tubes/pontoons were having some good success! Fish are very healthy,
feisty and my hopes are they will survive with some good management this winter! Not like the past two years.
Old 09-10-2023, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2eight View Post
Someone asked about Badger a while ago but got no response. Can someone please post something about Badger? You can PM me if it's a secret.
That was my post. Went a couple days later and found Badger to be great. Nice and full. Had way more bites fishing then I got on my thread.
Old 09-10-2023, 09:19 PM

Both launches at Travers are now out of the water. One is still usable but better to be slightly off of it to the left side. Some nice big ruts have been dug between the 2 in the gravel by someone I am assuming with a front wheel drive vehicle that was having problems getting out.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:43 PM

Can anyone give me any up to date launch conditions for Travers? I am planning to head to there sunday but I see it has dropped quit a bit again in the last 2 weeks. Aside from that, I have never fished Mcgregor, might have to try there if I can't put into Travers.
Old 09-23-2023, 09:09 AM

Hey guys, headed to chain lakes this afternoon with my young guy, going to stay overnight. Wondering if i will be able to launch my 14' tinny. I have a little dinghy with trolling motor I will bring just in case.

Website said 80% water level and difficulty launching at lower than 92%

I've never been there, so I'm unsure of what to expect.
Old 09-23-2023, 11:56 AM

Anyone know if you can launch at Crawling valley? Trying to find a place to fish tomorrow.

We would be taking my dads big Regal boat
Old 09-24-2023, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJHoban View Post
Hey guys, headed to chain lakes this afternoon with my young guy, going to stay overnight. Wondering if i will be able to launch my 14' tinny. I have a little dinghy with trolling motor I will bring just in case.

Website said 80% water level and difficulty launching at lower than 92%

I've never been there, so I'm unsure of what to expect.
Water levels were OKAY. got the little boat in and was able to keep my front wheels off the gravel.
Didn't realize how shallow the lake was. Caught a ton of 10" rainbows, my 4 year old didn't want to leave.
Old 09-25-2023, 08:58 PM

Travers as of yesterday (Sept 24th). Both launches about 2' out of the water. One launch is still usable as they have filled the hole with gravel however it is now a big hump that you may bottom your trailer out on. Fortunately I dont need a whole lot of water to launch. It is also getting very steep and we had to use 4x to pull the boat back out at the end of the day. I would not attempt with a big boat.
Old 09-26-2023, 12:34 PM

Was at Sandy point park ( by SSR) yesterday. While water appears to be deep enough by launch - concrete bricks end by the water level so your trailer wheels would be going on the soft mud. Not sure it is safe to launch especially bigger boat, smaller ones should be ok I think.
Fishing was good from the shore - 9 walleye caught at night, couple keepers, rest 42-47cm range. Tried for sturgeon during the day, no luck... just mooneye, goldeye and short head redhorse.
Old 10-01-2023, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
Travers as of yesterday (Sept 24th). Both launches about 2' out of the water. One launch is still usable as they have filled the hole with gravel however it is now a big hump that you may bottom your trailer out on. Fortunately I dont need a whole lot of water to launch. It is also getting very steep and we had to use 4x to pull the boat back out at the end of the day. I would not attempt with a big boat.
I have found over the years that Travers launches have been one of the shortests and steeper ones. Can't use motorhome to put in boat. Maybe I don't use the right one. Even on the good days, why do you really need to power up big time to load your boat. Maybe you don't care about the rest of us and you just power up and spray the gravel away from the bottom of the launch area and create a hole. Rookies maybe?? Have seen this at other easier launches Back your trailer in a little further if possible. Maybe they should make launch pads longer!!! I don't know. Pay to launch can help pay for additions.
Old 10-02-2023, 01:10 PM

I have the same question.
I have 14' tinner on a trailer.
I know the campsite is closed, but I looked on Google Maps and it looks like there are a couple places on the westside where the trails are very close to the lake.

I was wondering if anybody has tried, with or without success accessing or launching a boat there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntcarpenter View Post
Anyone know if you can launch at Crawling valley? Trying to find a place to fish tomorrow.

We would be taking my dads big Regal boat