Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-21-2021, 04:57 PM

Default Bear Hunt Lesson Learned

Headed out to Slave Lake area for five days this week. After scouting multiple areas in the fall and e scouting tons pre trip I had a pretty good feeling, especially after talking to a few people around. Got two days of walking cuts, pipeline and logging roads, no sign found even in areas with tons of green and sun shining through. Weather turned the third day, tons of rain, wind and some flurries. Decided to try my luck somewhere I had seen a few bears last fall. 4x4 about 3km up the road. Hiked about 5 km before I began seeing good sign, fresh tracks and scat. Tracked the bear to a thick creek. Decided to hang back, hike out, and come back in the evening. While I was hunting it began to rain causing the ground to thicken up in to gummy mud that stuck to everything. Got back to the 4x4, had lunch then started driving out. By the time I was half the way down the road the wheel wells, hubs, and all moving parts were completely filled with this gummy clay which locked up both passenger side wheels. Genius that I am, just kept playing the clutch in first and got down the road pretty far like that, until I completely burned out the clutch. Had service so I was able to pay some kid 400$ to tow my ass out of there, but the clutch was done (knew it was worn down but thought I had more left than I did). Ended up staying an extra day while the father in law drove truck and trailer up to save my dumb ass. Anyways, lesson learned. Didnt see any bears, weather was horrible, not a ton of green, probably in the wrong areas or the bears are sticking close to their dens and not venturing out too far yet.

Was able to book a few more days off first week of June north of LLB where I am hoping to connect with a Black Ghost and redeem myself. If anyone has any suggestions I will be walking cuts and pipelines, any help would be appreciated. Father in law wont let me live this down if I dont connect on a bear this year aha.
Old 05-21-2021, 05:35 PM

The "Loon **** " in that area is notorious, smart people know that.

Grizz
Old 05-21-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk-In-Pack-Out View Post
Headed out to Slave Lake area for five days this week. After scouting multiple areas in the fall and e scouting tons pre trip I had a pretty good feeling, especially after talking to a few people around. Got two days of walking cuts, pipeline and logging roads, no sign found even in areas with tons of green and sun shining through. Weather turned the third day, tons of rain, wind and some flurries. Decided to try my luck somewhere I had seen a few bears last fall. 4x4 about 3km up the road. Hiked about 5 km before I began seeing good sign, fresh tracks and scat. Tracked the bear to a thick creek. Decided to hang back, hike out, and come back in the evening. While I was hunting it began to rain causing the ground to thicken up in to gummy mud that stuck to everything. Got back to the 4x4, had lunch then started driving out. By the time I was half the way down the road the wheel wells, hubs, and all moving parts were completely filled with this gummy clay which locked up both passenger side wheels. Genius that I am, just kept playing the clutch in first and got down the road pretty far like that, until I completely burned out the clutch. Had service so I was able to pay some kid 400$ to tow my ass out of there, but the clutch was done (knew it was worn down but thought I had more left than I did). Ended up staying an extra day while the father in law drove truck and trailer up to save my dumb ass. Anyways, lesson learned. Didnt see any bears, weather was horrible, not a ton of green, probably in the wrong areas or the bears are sticking close to their dens and not venturing out too far yet.

Was able to book a few more days off first week of June north of LLB where I am hoping to connect with a Black Ghost and redeem myself. If anyone has any suggestions I will be walking cuts and pipelines, any help would be appreciated. Father in law wont let me live this down if I dont connect on a bear this year aha.

PM me, I can set you up on a bear if you like, then u can tell father in law " I had this all along" : )
Old 05-21-2021, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
The "Loon **** " in that area is notorious, smart people know that.

Grizz
Everytime I fail abysmally I learn a little more
Old 05-21-2021, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
PM me, I can set you up on a bear if you like, then u can tell father in law " I had this all along" : )
PM sent, cheers.
Old 05-21-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Everytime I fail abysmally I learn a little more
Don't we all ? I did a bear hunt there and even walking on those roads was about impossible.

Grizz
Old 05-21-2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Don't we all ? I did a bear hunt there and even walking on those roads was about impossible.

Grizz
That's exactly how it was, boots weighed about ten pounds each, every so often I had to stop scrape them off or splash around in a puddle. Definitely not walking, or driving those roads again.
Old 05-21-2021, 11:13 PM

So is there any answer or tricks to driving those roads?
I avoid the area but wouldn’t mind hunting there a bit more than I have...
Old 05-21-2021, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
The roads were decent in the fall so the 4x4 was adequate then.

This time the guy that towed me out had a massive truck with huge mud tires, your basic 2" lift on a 4x4 is absolutely inadequate for those roads. Almost everyone up there have ATV's or some form of OHV's, seems to work well for them.
Old 05-21-2021, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
If there's a cloud in the sky, time to get out. I found if I stayed off the bare roads, I could at least move around on foot.

Grizz
Old 05-22-2021, 01:26 AM

I lived in Slave Lake for 4 years and hunted all over that country. A quad is an absolute necessity unless you are going to stick to the main, well graveled roads. I had a Toyota BJ40 Landcruiser while I was up there with big 34 inch mud terrains on it and it was far better than a pickup in that country but even with it, once it got really wet and gumbo, it was time to switch to the Honda. Once it is wet stick to the grassy pipelines, cut lines etc even with a quad.

Last edited by Dean2; 05-22-2021 at 01:44 AM.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:34 AM

Hahaaaa! One for the books... Enjoyed reading that, Keep plugging away.
Old 05-22-2021, 07:08 AM

I made a pilgrimage to whitecourt for a couple of years to visit the crater and hiked in. I’d carry in a couple gallons of water so I could stay overnight (highly recommended to camp/sleep beside a meteorite crater by the way).

Even the Main roads were sketchy with my 4x4. I was back a couple miles and really looking at a long stretch of mud holes and wondering how the quads could even make it through there. On the hike out it was raining like hell and as luck would have it I got to the section of mud holes the same time that a truck was coming out of them. I could not believe that dude made it through there. It was a pretty serious truck but dang!
Old 05-22-2021, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Just a few days ago on my travels home from work at about KM marker 120 I seen a nice big black bear feeding in the ditch along highway 881. There seems to be quite a few bears in this area. It’s really starting to green up in that area and everyday the bears seem to be out and about more and more.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:08 AM

Ah..... Slave blue gumbo.... I don’t miss it.

Good story..... if ever there was ‘hunt on horse’ country........ that’d be it....

There’s a doozy chocolate/charcoal colored shed rippy male behind my house.
He’s harrassing campers within a mile of me..... nice size to him

But I’m wayyyy south.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 05-22-2021, 11:49 AM

As a newer hunter I really appreciate the feed back and positivity from everyone.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
Just a few days ago on my travels home from work at about KM marker 120 I seen a nice big black bear feeding in the ditch along highway 881. There seems to be quite a few bears in this area. It’s really starting to green up in that area and everyday the bears seem to be out and about more and more.
Good to know, I'll be driving up there as well as the old Conklin Road.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
That's exactly how it was, boots weighed about ten pounds each, every so often I had to stop scrape them off or splash around in a puddle. Definitely not walking, or driving those roads again.

Dont try the roads north and east of Edson or hwy 40 into Sheep Creek if there's rain forecast either. Worst I've been on.
Old 05-22-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Dont try the roads north and east of Edson or hwy 40 into Sheep Creek if there's rain forecast either. Worst I've been on.
Alder Flats has some zippity doo da, get ready to be in the ditch soon roads too.
Old 05-22-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
That's mostly muskeg, different but the same.

Grizz
Old 05-22-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Well first you tried your best!
2nd. what ever happened to pay it forward?. 400 bucks for a man in need, if we cant help our own who are we to help. been burned on a lake outta gas just cpl 200x yards from the dock.
Best of luck on the follow up hunt that it looks to be for you!!
Old 05-22-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Old Conklin road and right up around Conklin on the Winifred and Alpac road near Cowper lake. Lots of bears here. Got this guy 10km west of Conklin.
Fall time I’d see 6-10 bear a day.
Spring can be even more if the timing is right
E8124648-93D3-461F-85F6-43F9FE448C4A.jpg
Old 05-22-2021, 08:27 PM
Banned

I'm not saying that I have not experienced (almost) the same kind of conditions but hey guys, Don't blame Slave for this kind of $***, that's hitting pretty close to home..However, when this crud, get to "THAT" consistency, nothing will shake it off. I recall this stuff in Swanny Hill as being the worst, having to drive all summer with chains on my service truck.. Like I said, given the conditions, It's like $*** on a wool blankie..
Old 05-22-2021, 08:51 PM

Even worse with an Argo. No room between wheels she packs of fast
Old 05-23-2021, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
Old Conklin road and right up around Conklin on the Winifred and Alpac road near Cowper lake. Lots of bears here. Got this guy 10km west of Conklin.
Fall time I’d see 6-10 bear a day.
Spring can be even more if the timing is right
Attachment 173139
That's a beauty bear. I'll be out that way in the fall as well.
Old 05-23-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
It's like $*** on a wool blankie..
Truer words have never been spoken. Had to take each wheel off, use a crow bar and pressure washer to get the wheels to turn just so I could load it on the trailer.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
That's a beauty bear. I'll be out that way in the fall as well.
Pretty well have watch you don't hit one one on the road up there.

Grizz