Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-14-2014, 08:28 AM

Default More Kimber "Garbage"

Just wanted to back up sns2 with his Kimber trash talk. Fired a Kimber Ascent in 270 win last night for the first time. 2 90gr speer's to get it on paper. The next three went into 3/4" group. Let it cool. Then fired 3 110gr TTSX without letting it cool into this group. I cannot believe that this junk leaves the factory!

Was wondering if you guy's measure groups "outer edge to outer edge" or "center to center"?

If its the latter then this is completely unacceptable @100yds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0099.jpg (19.6 KB, 265 views)
Old 05-14-2014, 08:38 AM

Default Kimber

Nice shootin'
Old 05-14-2014, 02:43 PM

I believe that groups should always be center to center.

Nice shooting, hopefully it's fairly repeatable.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:19 PM

Nice shooting. Nobody knocking Kimber anymore. How about a pic of the hardware?
Old 05-14-2014, 07:39 PM

nice.....i just got mine shooting finally ....because of the thin barrell- on mine anyhow it was frustrating to keep groups consistent,would have to wait about an hour for the next batch(like 3 shots.cool/wait).....mine shouldnt be as light as those nice looking ascent rigs ,but is close to 6 pounds with scope and shooting 175/180 s at a modest 2400 fps it still kicks like a mule.... the target is at my dads but ill post my reults up in a while with my 3 shot best group - easily 1/2 moa..... deer/mountain rifle ...perfect.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:19 PM

Seems like I'm the only guy who ever had problems with a Kimber.
I had a new 7mm Rem Mag that I couldn't get to do better than 1.5 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards after hundreds of rounds of trying. Most of the loads I tried were bigger than 2 inches. I've probably owned half a dozen 7 mags previous to this one and they were all shooters! Match grade barrel they claimed, I finally gave up on it.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:47 AM

Bob, the sad reality is that some rifles, regardless of "make" just won't shoot. I think for the most part, it is related to the components or workmanship specific to that particular rifle, rather than brand name.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:45 AM

i have two Kimbers. Pro-varmint in .223 and a Model 84 select classic in 300 wsm. Both rifles shoot way better than me. Better looking too!
Old 05-15-2014, 08:34 PM

Great stuff...this is making me want one now.
I'd love to have one in 260rem. Do they make that?
Nice shootin!
Old 05-15-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Bob, the sad reality is that some rifles, regardless of "make" just won't shoot. I think for the most part, it is related to the components or workmanship specific to that particular rifle, rather than brand name.

My hobby, or one of them, is buying used hunting rifles and cleaning them up. Maybe redo the stock, patch up the blueing, replace some springs, whatever, then develop handloads for them before flipping them and purchasing something else.
After doing this with quite a few rifles over the years, I always found a way to make them shoot one way or the other. The Kimber in question was a new rifle rather than an used one and the only other rifle that I had as much trouble developing a load for was a early 90's vintage M70. Those were notorious for having the barrel cross threaded into the receiver so it was little wonder that they wouldn't shoot.
There's bad rifles in every make and I think this was just one of those but it did turn me off the Kimbers a bit.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Great stuff...this is making me want one now.
I'd love to have one in 260rem. Do they make that?
Nice shootin!
the 260 is hard to find. but there is one on the forum JessS is the seller
Old 05-17-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
nice.....i just got mine shooting finally ....because of the thin barrell- on mine anyhow it was frustrating to keep groups consistent,would have to wait about an hour for the next batch(like 3 shots.cool/wait).....mine shouldnt be as light as those nice looking ascent rigs ,but is close to 6 pounds with scope and shooting 175/180 s at a modest 2400 fps it still kicks like a mule.... the target is at my dads but ill post my reults up in a while with my 3 shot best group - easily 1/2 moa..... deer/mountain rifle ...perfect.
Just measured my best 3 shot group with mine - .412" at 100. Hard rifle/ scope to master but I'm working on it. Ultralight leupold , could use some more eye relief but meh , what I wanted and the rifle sure bucks. Just made sure tonight it was minute- of- beer- can. Voila, yep. Took a while to find what it likes but my load for it is 41.1 gr of rl15, federal primer , 180 gr game king. I hate not having a rifles load figured out.