Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-12-2014, 11:11 AM

Default 308 win

Of the two chamberings I would point you to the 308win. My first hunting rifle was a Ruger in 270 win, it is a pretty snappy rifle recoil wise, a Limbsaver tamed it down nicely. I took a moose and a bunch of that deer with that gun, it worked great, accurate and enough power to put animals down, mostly at less than 100 yards. I could never get 150 gr bullets to group as well as 130s in that gun, not a big issue as I always ran with a tough bullet (TSX or Partition).

I gave that rifle to my son to shoot with reduced recoil loads he shoots it very well and I hope he gets his first deer with it this year.

I bought myself a 308 when I gave my son the 270. The 308 has less recoil, short action, burns less powder and has a large selection of bullets. I had no issues getting this rifle to group right off the bat with hand loads. I have taken a few deer with it, great performance, longest kill 220 yards.

I think for a first gun the 308 Win is a awesome choice. It is inherently accurate, nice short action, lots of bullet choices, ususally redily available ammo if you go store bought, easy to reload and not a powder hog if you roll your own, managable recoil for the first time shooter.

I think the 7mm-08 deserves a look as well.

As far as what rifle, look at everything in your price range and find the one that fits you best and has the features you are looking for. The Savage 110/111 are a very good choice at a good price, but not for everyone.

Good luck with your decision, have fun with it. Don't forget to spend a good chunk of money on glass and budget for mounts, case, cleaning supplies.....
Old 05-12-2014, 11:23 AM

I think for a first gun the 308 Win is a awesome choice. It is inherently accurate, nice short action, lots of bullet choices, ususally redily available ammo if you go store bought, easy to reload and not a powder hog if you roll your own, managable recoil for the first time shooter.

Well said. I started hunting with my grandfathers 308 win and took many of my first animals with it. It is a beautiful Husky, and brings back many memories every time I look at it.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:05 AM

I have had similar questions. definitely looking into the M14's
Old 05-13-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1886 View Post
The military used the 308 for years as a sniper rifle. They didn't build special ammo for it, they used the same as every other rifle and there was some amazing shots made with it. The military surplus ammo made in the USA is produced by the major ammo companies ( winchester, umc-Remington ) and I'm sure they wouldn't make a sub grade ammo just for them. Just my opinion.
I had thought that 7.62 NATO military ammo was higher pressure, and while some .308's can handle it, not all are designed to. I don't know if the rifle the fellow is considering is designed to.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
Of the two chamberings I would point you to the 308win. My first hunting rifle was a Ruger in 270 win, it is a pretty snappy rifle recoil wise, a Limbsaver tamed it down nicely. I took a moose and a bunch of that deer with that gun, it worked great, accurate and enough power to put animals down, mostly at less than 100 yards. I could never get 150 gr bullets to group as well as 130s in that gun, not a big issue as I always ran with a tough bullet (TSX or Partition).

I gave that rifle to my son to shoot with reduced recoil loads he shoots it very well and I hope he gets his first deer with it this year.

I bought myself a 308 when I gave my son the 270. The 308 has less recoil, short action, burns less powder and has a large selection of bullets. I had no issues getting this rifle to group right off the bat with hand loads. I have taken a few deer with it, great performance, longest kill 220 yards.

I think the 7mm-08 deserves a look as well.

As far as what rifle, look at everything in your price range and find the one that fits you best and has the features you are looking for. The Savage 110/111 are a very good choice at a good price, but not for everyone.

Good luck with your decision, have fun with it. Don't forget to spend a good chunk of money on glass and budget for mounts, case, cleaning supplies.....

Thank you all for the great info and recommendations. The Savage 111/11 has been at the top of my list. It comes in left handed which is what I'm after.
Looks like I'll go with the .308 then. FallAirFever or others: Do you know if headspacing would be an issue if I decided to practice some of my shooting with military surplus ammo? Anyone see any reason to avoid non-corrosive military surplus ammo? I don't handload (yet) so I'll be buying all my ammo.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2014, 12:29 AM

A 308 savage, then buy a 243 barrel and swap em out. Takes 10 minutes and you're set for anything that walks on this content.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:50 PM

6.5 Creedmore has light recoil and good accuracy
Old 05-15-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I had thought that 7.62 NATO military ammo was higher pressure, and while some .308's can handle it, not all are designed to. I don't know if the rifle the fellow is considering is designed to.
I believe its the other way around... I just asked Cat about this as I thought like you did, being that it was similar to the 556vs223. Having looked online they say the .308 is loaded to higher pressures.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:40 PM

now that's pretty impressive shooting. you could win alot of turkeys with that...
but I get one hole groups with every shot with my 308!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
I have both, but prefer the .308 Its a savage 99, and shoots very well out to 400 yards. I do not shoot anything other than hunting loads in her, currently I'm playing with a 130 grain TTSX, with 46 grains of IMR 3031. Spits them out at 3200 fps, on chronograph. At 200 yards I place them one bullet on top of the other. (1/8th group) I also use a 150 grain SST for bigger game. 45 grains of 3031 spits them at 3,000 fps. not as tight groups but still 1/4 " groups at 200 yards.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
now that's pretty impressive shooting. you could win alot of turkeys with that...
but I get one hole groups with every shot with my 308!
Me too! But only when I keep both eyes open..
Old 05-17-2014, 07:27 AM

If you are only going out for medium size game like deer in the open fields the 270 will be a good choice but later on if you are going hunting in the bush for deer or larger game like a moose you might want a bigger cal like the 30-06 as you can buy heaver loads.
Had a buddy that could not connect on a deer with his 270 that was 50 ft on the other side of some brush. He said a heaver built would have made it.
Something to think about.....both are good.

Tags
.270, .308, corrosive, practice, surplus