Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2018, 01:02 PM

Default Hopewell (Langdon) Pheasant release site

Just wondering how others are making out with the birds this year at this site. Not sure if I keep hitting the tail end (just before the next release), but in years past it seems my dog and I have had much greater success. Have they scaled back the amount of drops per week, amount of birds dropped or anything different than in years past? I noticed the site opened at the end of August this year, wondering if they are doing the same amount of birds but over a longer period of time...or it's just me

My dog and I pushed two birds up the other day but we had to go out of our way and into some really tough areas to find them (hasn't been this bad in years past).

I really enjoy this site (how close it is to Calgary) but I suspect with it's popularity finding left over birds days after the drop will only get harder in years to come.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:09 PM

Default hopewell

The first year over 150 birds but they have been dropping the numbers for a few reasons. One reason being, the lady that is right against the section is tired of people shooting right near her house. So they have only released about 95 last year and shortened the time to mid November.
A great deal of hunters out from and around Calgary. One day I counted 22 trucks. Hunters were only about 50 -80 yrds apart. Too close for me.

Better off going down to Rosemary where there are plenty of wild birds.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:45 PM

The number of birds released has not changed. The start and end dates were shifted forward to provide some additional opportunity earlier in the season, but the overall number of birds released on this site has not changed.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:12 PM

The 22 trucks full of guys clean up 80% of the birds within an hour of the drop off
Old 09-20-2018, 08:07 AM

How do 22 trucks full of guys know the birds are coming? I thought the releases were supposed to be random to a degree.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosler View Post
The number of birds released has not changed. The start and end dates were shifted forward to provide some additional opportunity earlier in the season, but the overall number of birds released on this site has not changed.
Where are the birds coming from for the new Capital site West of Edmonton? Are they releasing more birds in total, or are they reducing the numbers at other sites to compensate?
Old 09-20-2018, 09:33 AM

The trucks sit on the road waiting for the stocking truck to arrive. Truck leaves, the "hunt" begins
Old 09-20-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
The trucks sit on the road waiting for the stocking truck to arrive. Truck leaves, the "hunt" begins
Then either the truck is using a regular schedule, that people have figured out, or someone has inside information as to the releases. I used to see vehicles waiting at other sites, but not in the past year or so.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Anyone who thinks this is sports is really never hunted wild birds. Just a chance to go kill something. Sad
Old 09-20-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Where are the birds coming from for the new Capital site West of Edmonton? Are they releasing more birds in total, or are they reducing the numbers at other sites to compensate?
They are releasing more birds in total.