Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2014, 09:29 PM

Thanks for posting that Omega50! I'm going to go and pick one up and see how it works in my UDS. Might allow to me to do some cheese or cold smoke some salmon.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseBurger View Post
Thanks for posting that Omega50! I'm going to go and pick one up and see how it works in my UDS. Might allow to me to do some cheese or cold smoke some salmon.
I can't give it a full recommendation quite yet until I am satisfied that I can easily reduce my woodchips to a dust that is of a correct size and moisture content to burn effectively in this device.
The first run was on their included sample pack of wood dust, but today I will test my wood chips and ensure that it will stay lit.
I don't want to recommend something if it leads to frustration

I am often very frustrated at the incomplete engineering on all of the currently available smokers and smoker accessories on the market.
It should not be rocket science.
I often wonder if the owners of these companies have ever actually used their own products with a critical eye and a mission in their heart to be the best they can be..

Last edited by omega50; 11-16-2014 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
I can't give it a full recommendation quite yet until I am satisfied that I can easily reduce my woodchips to a dust that is of a correct size and moisture content to burn effectively in this device.
The first run was on their included sample pack of wood dust, but today I will test my wood chips and ensure that it will stay lit.
I don't want to recommend something if it leads to frustration

I am often very frustrated at the incomplete engineering on all of the currently available smokers and smoker accessories on the market.
It should not be rocket science.
I often wonder if the owners of these companies have ever actually used their own products with a critical eye and a mission in their heart to be the best they can be..
Am very curious as to how today's experiment went!
Old 11-16-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseBurger View Post
Am very curious as to how today's experiment went!
Not great.
I used some small oak chips I had( between 1/8"- 1/16") and they would not stay lit.
Will try to pulverize some in my spice grinder for the next attempt.
It looks like it very nearly needs to be a dust to work effectively in this device.

I bought this at DnR and they said they are working on a machine to provide a dust. They recommended a blender , but was a no go in my blender-just spun them around. At this point I would hold off until a simple solution presents itself.

Last edited by omega50; 11-16-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:32 PM

Fair enough. I will hold off. Just got excited to have a simple cold smoke option. I wonder if a router would provide the chips required?
Old 11-16-2014, 09:08 PM

Default pucks for bradley smoker

A friend of mine makes his own pucks by using a pipe and metal discs cut to fit in the pipe. he soaks the chips in water and a little sugar , puts a disc in the pipe and then some chips another disc then some chips and so on,then compress with a bottle jack in a metal frame he made ( leave them overnight). The pucks turn out perfect, The good thing about this set-up is you can use any combination of wood you like.