Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-20-2007, 11:51 AM

Default 10 year olds and grouse hunting

Hi Guys,
I was looking at the grouse thread posted below and there is postings by a couple of young fellas. They didn't look twelve. What is the law pertaining to kids shooting grouse? The reason I'm asking is my son is 10 and loves to shoot. We have gone out earlier in 346 and I shot 4 grouse and wouldn't let him shoot any because he doesn't have a license. What is the age limit? If he's old enough then I'm gettin him a license.
Thanks guys.
LB
Old 10-20-2007, 12:03 PM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB 270 View Post
Hi Guys,
I was looking at the grouse thread posted below and there is postings by a couple of young fellas. They didn't look twelve. What is the law pertaining to kids shooting grouse? The reason I'm asking is my son is 10 and loves to shoot. We have gone out earlier in 346 and I shot 4 grouse and wouldn't let him shoot any because he doesn't have a license. What is the age limit? If he's old enough then I'm gettin him a license.
Thanks guys.
LB
I think it is 12...from the SDR website

Age Requirements

In Alberta, you must be at least 12 years of age to possess a hunting licence.

* If you are 12 or 13 years of age, before obtaining any licence,
o you must successfully complete the Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education Program, and
o have the written permission of your parent or guardian.
* If you are 12 or 13 years of age, you may hunt game birds with any legal weapon (see Regulations), and you are no longer restricted to hunting big game with only a bow and arrow.
o To hunt with a firearm hunters under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent, a legal guardian or by a person 18 years of age or older who has the written permission of the parent or legal guardian.
* If you are 14 or 15 years of age,
o you must have the written permission of your parent or guardian to purchase a hunting licence.
o You may hunt any game animal, for which you have a valid licence, with any legal weapon (see Regulations).
* If you are 14 years of age or older,
o and you are a first-time hunter, you may be required to pass a hunter-competency test prior to obtaining a hunting licence. (A first-time hunter is a person who has not previously held a recreational hunting licence in Alberta or elsewhere. Note: non-residents (Canadian) and non-resident aliens are exempted from this first-time requirement if they are accompanied by a licensed guide.)
o you may hunt any game animal, for which you have a valid licence, with any legal weapon
Old 10-20-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Then......

Not to stir anything up but, those kids must be 12 then? It sure appears that they are shooting the birds not just posing.
If they are twelve no offense meant, it is good to look young.
LB
Old 10-20-2007, 12:14 PM

I don't know, they look like they could be 12 to me. Heck, I think I was about 16 or 17 before I looked old enough to be 12. 35 now and got carded for a beer a couple days ago.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:15 PM

Default 12 years of age

Sorry LB...In Alberta you have to be 12 years old and have passed the first time hunters ed course before you can get a lic. this year they lowered the age limit from 14 to 12 for big game, it has been 12 for bird game and archery for quit a while now...there are several guy that have their young childern help them with filling their tags and bag limits, is it legal...no...will a fish and wildlife officer throw the book at you,,, I hope not...these kids are the futher of or sport....as long as it is done with safety in mind and you are at arms reach i say go for it......i am glad i had a farther that let me shoot my first deer on his tag when i was 7 years old and my first bull elk {325 bull} when i was 9....sure hope they don't throw me in jail for this post...LOL...

Jim
Old 10-20-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Elk

Thanks Jim,
I haven't let him and now with clarification I'm not going to let him. But he loves to come and carry them for me. If I could just teach him to point and retrieve better. Ha ha.
Thanks for responding all
LB