Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-11-2019, 03:28 PM

Default Coyotes soon ready to go?

I’ve been seeing a few coyotes around the last couple of days, and with the cooler weather, they look pretty good for this early on. When you you fellow snaremen plan on hanging the wire, and getting the season kicked off? Have a great Thanksgiving.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:20 PM
Banned

Soon as I got time
Old 10-11-2019, 06:15 PM

I'm probably gonna start footholding on the 20th. Getting close, I'm excited!
Old 10-11-2019, 06:27 PM

Shooting some after November 1...cant start snares till dec 1....bird seasons will.be closed for.the.most part by then and many hunters will be off the land . Starting before that I tend to donate coyotes to guys that help.themself to catches and run the risk of catching bird dogs .

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2019, 07:05 PM
Banned

Mid November when they reach prime. Putting up Spring beaver pelts, trapping more that need to be gone and putting a deer or two in the freezer between now and then.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:06 PM

I don't snare but I saw one today in the hfrs looking pretty good. Another couple weeks he might have had a lead lunch. Seen another one in Canola stubble very mangy.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 10-11-2019, 09:07 PM

The guys who say hold off to November when they are prime are the same guys who trap until the end of the season when the coyotes start getting rubbed. If you’re into numbers then I believe starting early is the way to go. Oct 20 coyotes are still $100 pelts where I’m from.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:25 PM
Banned

got one from a farmer today and was a little surprised at how good he looked on the outside.........guess we'll see what he looks like on the inside, but i really think we're at least 3 weeks early
Old 10-11-2019, 09:28 PM
Banned

I like early season coyotes. I can catch them easier and I still like $50 plus dollars a dog easy. Move your bait another 3 miles over and start all over again mid season if you are afraid of trapping them all out of one area before they are prime.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
The guys who say hold off to November when they are prime are the same guys who trap until the end of the season when the coyotes start getting rubbed. If you’re into numbers then I believe starting early is the way to go. Oct 20 coyotes are still $100 pelts where I’m from.
I’m guilty of that. The reason why is that a coyote caught in October will be worth a lot less than the same coyote caught fully prime three weeks latter. The difference can be significant. Imagine trapping a coyote early when it could have potentially been a top lot if prime.....D’oh!

Late season coyotes on the other hand will never get any better and will only become less valuable as the season nears an end. That’s not something that I can control and I’ll take what I catch at that point.

That’s important to understand especially for Trappers that have a limited area to trap. If you trap out the local pack early, that will get you a lower price at auction. After that you’ll only catch the odd straggling transient coyotes. You are not doing yourself any favours catching the pack early IMO.

Bait is the other big factor, at least for me, I’m Always struggling to find enough. Early season when the bait doesn’t freeze it disappears really fast and you have to have a really good supply of it. I’ve sat hunting at last light 300 yards away from my bait site just cursing the steady stream of birds flying by with pieces of my bait in their beaks.

All that to say that if you have unlimited areas to trap, an unlimited amount of bait and the time to rebait, what I described is not a big issue. In that case i’d Start early too but that’s not usually the case for the average Trapper.

If you are trapping about 50 or less coyotes per season, IMO you’d be better off catching your Yotes when they are worth the most. If you want to catch them in the hundreds then giver.......lol.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Maybe some guys do that ...not me . As for 100 $ coyotes ,many of them are 150 $ dogs a month later .. same work involved.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:11 AM

Default Coyotes soon ready to go.

I’m having shoulder surgery on December 10 th, so I’m going to start snaring on the 20 th of October, to try to get as many as I can before I’m out of commission.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:12 PM

Default Coyotes soon ready to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I’m having shoulder surgery on December 10 th, so I’m going to start snaring on the 20 th of October, to try to get as many as I can before I’m out of commission.
Good luck to all this winter.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:56 PM
Banned

I can understand what Dave is saying. Some guys only have a small area and bait. I get that. I hit the areas close to home early for me. I can clean up 50+ easy in a month before it's cold enough to not worry about greenbelly and such and then I move to a whole new area or 2 and do longer checks. This way the local packs are pretty much taken care of and I may only pick up another 15 to 25 off those baits the rest of the year anyways and I can move on to new areas and smash them in the new areas when prime for a few months.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:38 PM

I am one that usually hits the ground oct 20th. Until last year when I did some early ones for a lady that was loosing sheep I started there on oct 12th. And with those coyotes I did the same at the first sale on as I did with January coyotes in the second sale so id rather start early than have to go late and deal with 2 feet of hard pack drifted snow so needless to say i am starting early again this year. The fur turns prime depending on the amount of daylight a coyote sees and not on the coldness of the weather anyway only thing with cold is you don’t need to worry about fur slip or green.

I wish everyone a great year. Hopefully the coyotes cooperate this year.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Maybe some guys do that ...not me . As for 100 $ coyotes ,many of them are 150 $ dogs a month later .. same work involved.

i'm with you cam
Old 10-13-2019, 07:48 AM

I usually start after deer season but if i can get some meat for the freezer early ..i will be starting on yotes asap ..as they start getting pretty rough near the end of january ..with the crazy weather mixed with the brush country i snare in .
Old 10-13-2019, 11:41 AM

Default prime

I know it has been reported by so called experts that fur prime relates to Sun and Moon. I tend to disagree! I watch my hunting dogs and horses in October. When very cold frosty mornings start they seem to get heavy fur coats/guard hair almost over night. A warm fall they do not fur up until November. Just my observations!
Old 10-13-2019, 04:57 PM

I am going to start calling and shooting them Oct 20. Out here a large amount of pups and stupid adults get educated or killed during hunting season. I try to get out and call some of my areas that get hit hard by big game hunters so that I can get some of the stupid ones before they get smart. I know they may not be worth quite as much but my theory is it's better that I have an $80 dog rather than someone else has a useless one with a 7mag hole in it.
I won't be setting snares til mid Nov or even later.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 10-13-2019, 05:38 PM
AO Sponsor

Some Hutterite friends shot a bunch the other day. Looked great from the distance but fail the back slap test. Test being basically, pat the coyotes on the back, if you feel bones/body/meat it is flat. If you slap it on the back and the fur feels padded/cushioned you have a skin on that carcass that our customers will be very happy with.

The pups are quite flat. You get money for them but our main users desire the better goods. But for the fellers that sell whole, expect very little on them yet especially if accompanied with big gaping hole.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:12 PM
AO Sponsor

“Our customers” defined as all the people who buy our coyotes at the two fur auctions plus the people who end up with the goods from the various country dealers.