Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-14-2019, 09:12 PM

Default fish thief on the ice

If it's not hard enough to catch a few now a guy has to share them with fish thieves.

https://www.facebook.com/10001335906...I1NDAyNzEzNzg/
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-14-2019, 09:47 PM

Awesome !
Old 11-14-2019, 10:03 PM

That’s a great feel good video. I was expecting that the critter was gonna end up as a pelt. I would have done the exact same thing.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:28 PM

That’s pretty cool , letting the little fella have a fish way to go !
Old 11-14-2019, 10:37 PM

thats awesome
Old 11-15-2019, 06:02 AM

Looks more like a lunch guest than a thief. One way or the other, great video.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:49 AM

Good stuff that.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:43 AM

Awesome video!
Old 11-15-2019, 10:59 AM

What kind of fish in the bucket there? If trout it was trying to keep you to the limit!
Old 11-15-2019, 11:09 AM

There used to be a coyote out at Ressor lake that would take a trout right out of your coat pocket when ice fishing. Then he just disappeared.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-15-2019, 11:25 AM

BEAUTY, never thought i would see that again. Had a similar experience fishing whites in the spring on Newell. He had his eye on a pile of whites on the ice and put up quite a fierce attack coming in, then an old curmudgeon fishing with us chased him off. It broke my 4 year old daughters heart and mine too. I did give the dude a teaching point, but it was immediately lost on him. Thank you for sharing...drw
Old 11-15-2019, 11:30 AM

Thumbs up

Nice...... it reminds to a time as a kid up in the Yukon when we had a mink that would take the scraps as they dropped of the fish cleaning table.....
Old 11-18-2019, 02:38 PM

Really great video. Mink and Martin are amazingly willing to come near humans for food. I don't think they actually know they are supposed to be afraid of us. I love watching Martin and Fisher hunting on a cutline as I sit watching for game. They clearly know I am there but show no fear of me at all. They are also not at all aggressive, they will come within a few feet and sit watching me, then go about their day. Breaks up some long sits, very entertaining.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:21 PM

Default Fish thief

Many, many years ago, when cleaning fish at Ironwood Lake in the evening, skunks would come up for some scraps at the cleaning table while we would be filleting fish. They seemed friendly and never stunk at all. Also had a lynx jump up onto the roof of the camper to get a piece of meat that was left on a hook from a rod we put up there.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 11-18-2019 at 03:22 PM. Reason: More info
Old 11-18-2019, 03:54 PM

A few years back I was fishing the Lesser Slave river, we had a couple walleye in the box of my truck and a weasel could smell them but he couldn't climb into the truck box. So instead he just stayed under the truck for about 20 minuets and tried to chase off anyone who came near it, my wife was not impressed at all but I thought it was funny.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:48 PM

Had a muskrat come up the hole right in the tent a couple times. This one particular time, Rod, who's on this forum, jumped out of his seat and squealed like a girl and was dancing around on one spot as I peed my pants laughing.

The muskrat came up, popped up, took a sniff around and went back down.

He came back a few times getting bolder each time.

It was funny ..... Rod if you read this ...... don't deny you squealed like a little girl. That was the highlight of that day for sure.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:11 AM

Default Not how I remember it

That is not exactly how I remember it. If I recall correctly, the Muskrat came out of the hole like a rabid dog. Teeth sharp as razors and maybe a little blood dripping from the from fangs. I bravely jumped up uttering a loud Judo Kiai and landing into a perfect martial arts stance despite the slippery ice. With no thought to my own safety I jumped in front of you to protect you from the dangerous attacking beast from hell. Fortunately for you my quick thinking and loud defensive cry scared the cannibalistic beast back into the hole saving us from certain death.

Way more accurate.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
That is not exactly how I remember it. If I recall correctly, the Muskrat came out of the hole like a rabid dog. Teeth sharp as razors and maybe a little blood dripping from the from fangs. I bravely jumped up uttering a loud Judo Kiai and landing into a perfect martial arts stance despite the slippery ice. With no thought to my own safety I jumped in front of you to protect you from the dangerous attacking beast from hell. Fortunately for you my quick thinking and loud defensive cry scared the cannibalistic beast back into the hole saving us from certain death.

Way more accurate.
LMFAO ….. I just spit my coffee on the keyboard ……… yes …. lol …… that's how it went down …… my apologies ….. thank you for saving my life.

Maybe jumped onto my lap was more like it ….

Can't wait to get out this year again, always fun with a big group out there. I will fire up the BBQ ….. you know, roughing it like usual. Perogies, elk steak, some grouse, maybe a prawn and sausage jambalaya, you know the usual ….. maybe we will do a peach cobbler too this year.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
LMFAO ….. I just spit my coffee on the keyboard ……… yes …. lol …… that's how it went down …… my apologies ….. thank you for saving my life.

Can't wait to get out this year again, always fun with a big group out there. I will fire up the BBQ ….. you know, roughing it like usual. Perogies, elk steak, some grouse, maybe a prawn and sausage jambalaya, you know the usual ….. maybe we will do a peach cobbler too this year.
Sounds good brother, let me know when.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:14 PM

Default weasels

Also have zero fear of man.I've had them run right over my feet sitting on a log on a cutline deer hunting ,then pop into a brushpile and reappear with a fresh mouse.I had a chickadee damned near fly up my coatsleeve once and go right into the deepest part of a brushpile beside me.Then I found out why ,along came a shrike hot on his trail. So I stayed until the shrike left .You see some neat things in the woods.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:48 PM

Love the vid 👍

Dodger.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:31 PM

I hand fed a weasel several times when we were cutting up deer. Absolutely no fear, and surprisingly very gentle.
All of them are very neat animals.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-20-2019, 10:11 PM
Gone Hunting

That there would suck like a fuzzy doughnut.

A Deer steak maybe, for sure I'd let him have a Beef burger but a fish!

That don't work for me.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-21-2019, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Had a muskrat come up the hole right in the tent a couple times. This one particular time, Rod, who's on this forum, jumped out of his seat and squealed like a girl and was dancing around on one spot as I peed my pants laughing.

The muskrat came up, popped up, took a sniff around and went back down.

He came back a few times getting bolder each time.

It was funny ..... Rod if you read this ...... don't deny you squealed like a little girl. That was the highlight of that day for sure.
Same thing happened to a buddy about 10 years ago when we used those individual pop up shacks. We were fishing away all quiet and all of a sudden it sounds like he's being attacked, screaming and all. A Muskrat popped out of the hole and scared the crap out of him. He came running out of his shack dancing like his hair was on fire, funny to watch.

OP, great video. Thanks for posting it.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:28 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

ROFL

I like Rod's version better, it's more entertaining, and, less believable. LOL

A good outdoor story is supposed to be unbelievable.

George Bernard Shaw