Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2017, 11:54 AM
Banned

Default I need some assistance finding firewood

Do any members have a good firewood guy. I don't want to buy it by the bag anymore. I'm looking for at least a half cord of birch. Within an hours drive of Edmonton hopefully. Will come pick up
Old 11-11-2017, 12:24 PM

I've had good luck with these guys just outside of St Albert.

http://www.tiggrafirewoodsales.ca
Old 11-11-2017, 01:54 PM

If you can store enough to season it I have a firewood plan that works well. I contact local arborists and get on a text list to pick up firewood from jobs that they've cut the trees down on. It saves them labor and trucking and you get free firewood, the thing is you get what they happen to cut down, so you can't be too choosy on species. I've sourced many cords this way. This coming summer might be time for a re-stock as inventory is down to just over to about 50% more than what I'll burn this winter..
Old 11-11-2017, 01:56 PM

A few weeks ago we got ours here,
http://www.smartfirewoodproducts.ca/products/
Old 11-11-2017, 02:00 PM

I’m in a same boat, need birch. Checked the Kijiji but prices seem to be too high. $250 -$260 for a half cord. I remember paying $200 for that a year or two ago...
Old 11-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Banned

You should look into getting a permit to go cut your own. They are cheap. I'm not sure if there are places you can cut close to you but I bet you can find one within an hour. Of you. https://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/app21/fo...0Permit%20FAQs

That's a website that answers all kinds of questions about cutting your own wood and what's required.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:56 PM

Have you tried the Burnco in Edmonton. Here in Calgary they sell split firewood in bulk. Back your truck up and fill it up. Birch and pine.

Last edited by Parker Hale; 11-11-2017 at 09:57 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 11-11-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
the thing is you get what they happen to cut down
That's what sucks about it since quite a bit of it is maple, at least round here.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
That's what sucks about it since quite a bit of it is maple, at least round here.
Not a lot of Maple in the West?....and there isn't much better to burn unless you like filling the stove every few hours. Ash maybe due to the lack of branch/knot content; makes it easy to split.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacisaac View Post
Not a lot of Maple in the West?....and there isn't much better to burn unless you like filling the stove every few hours. Ash maybe due to the lack of branch/knot content; makes it easy to split.
Green Ash is great firewood, it splits like you're bloody Superman and burns long and clean. I only put my nose up at poplar. He might be referring to what many call Manitoba maple, AKA box elder.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Green Ash is great firewood, it splits like you're bloody Superman and burns long and clean. I only put my nose up at poplar.
LOL, That's the beauty of ash. We can all be Superman with an axe.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:08 PM

I have also done the trips out to Crown forestry with the $5 permit, its a good option and you will be cutting standing dead so it should be ready to burn. Its a nice day out and all, but if one is seeking pure efficiency its hard to beat the arborist partnership as you're sourcing more locally and will get more varieties of hardwood. There's much less fuel costs for your truck embedded in it.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you can store enough to season it I have a firewood plan that works well. I contact local arborists and get on a text list to pick up firewood from jobs that they've cut the trees down on. It saves them labor and trucking and you get free firewood, the thing is you get what they happen to cut down, so you can't be too choosy on species. I've sourced many cords this way. This coming summer might be time for a re-stock as inventory is down to just over to about 50% more than what I'll burn this winter..
That's very frugal of you CaberTosser.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:28 AM

Quote:
He might be referring to what many call Manitoba maple, AKA box elder.
Indeed. About the only kind of maple we have around here.

Trips to the crown forestry is the way to go. Depends on where you live, I guess.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
I have also done the trips out to Crown forestry with the $5 permit, its a good option and you will be cutting standing dead so it should be ready to burn. Its a nice day out and all, but if one is seeking pure efficiency its hard to beat the arborist partnership as you're sourcing more locally and will get more varieties of hardwood. There's much less fuel costs for your truck embedded in it.
I agree but anything is better than paying a firewood processor. We have access to land to cut wood and usually make a family outing out of it. I also have friends at the MD that give me access to the pile of stuff that won't fit in their processor.

Your arborist idea is a good one. Lots of options besides buying a bah from 7 11 lol. I always wondered who bought those.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:15 AM

The mutual-benefit arborist partnership just requires the ability to respond reasonably quickly on your part, I felt it was important to get to site fairly fast so that the firewood pile was not in their customers way. I would also clean up with a rake and broom what was under the pile or spread about during loading, there will always be some bark and sawdust that spreads around. Do those two things and the arborist will not only call you back, but you’ll get preferential treatment to the people who neither clean up nor show up promptly. You just have to consider things from their perspective: a mess or a delayed removal don’t leave a good impression with their clients and you are being a bit of an ambassador for their company during the firewood removal portion. Leave a bad impression and don’t expect to be called for the premium removal jobs like birch and green ash or the various apple or crabapple species.

Of course the trips to forestry are good for a nice days outing and a picnic, but for pure efficiency the local method is hard to beat.

Another tip is that you can rent a 20 ton splitter from most tools rental shops for the infrequent times you’ll need it when you inventory in bulk. I lucked out with a very helpful neighbor who carted over his large splitter when he saw me splitting by hand. The green ash went so well it was faster and easier by hand, but it sure was the trick for the knotty spruce.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 11-12-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:41 AM

we have a guy that pops into the cul-de-sac every fall and canvasses all of us here. the following weekend he shows up with big rickety truck and unloads what ever you bought from him. we usually buy 1/2 cord of birch every year. wont be buying this year though, still have some from last year and want to clean up the spot where I store it. getting mice in the garage and I think that's where there're coming from.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:18 PM

What are you guys typically paying for a half a cord of birch delivered to your house? Ok kijiji I see prices between $250 and $300 delivered....
Any good deals out there? Please share!
Old 11-12-2017, 12:46 PM

Ouch paying that for firewood hurts! While I do love burning birch it’s hard to argue going and cutting your own for a fraction of the price. I got 7 cords of lodge pole and Doug fir for less the. 70$ in permits. my dad burns pallets that he gets for free at various stores. Most are maple or oak and burn hot. Not much maple or oak in the West.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:16 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have a choice. I don't have a pick up truck(just an SUV) and I don't own a chainsaw either... I don't mind swinging the axe to split the wood but I still need it to be delivered to my place..
Old 11-12-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Great minds.

I picked up three trees worth. Will last me a while.

If you live in lake Sundance Calgary we are cutting down lots of old popular trees each year. Lots of wood though not as good as birch. Not sure if they give away to others but contact a buddy and see if you can get some. Can't see the lake stock piling.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-12-2017, 06:00 PM

Got next years wood after that big wind in October. Lots of blow downs. Spruce, poplar, pine. I,ll rent a splitter in the spring and it should be seasoned by the fall.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:12 PM

I was hunting south of Edson a couple weeks ago and came across a large are full of blowdowns, some easy pickings there

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2017, 10:45 AM

Another option is the cull pile at your local home depot. 2x4s right up to 2x10s. A few years ago I dragged home enough to fill my face cord bin for less than $40.

Not as fun as cutting down your own tree, but well seasoned

Colin
Old 11-13-2017, 03:48 PM

I have a firewood guy west of Calgary that sells birch or pine and spruce split,and delivered pm for contact info
Old 11-14-2017, 09:23 AM

Default Firewood Guy in Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burglecut83 View Post
Do any members have a good firewood guy. I don't want to buy it by the bag anymore. I'm looking for at least a half cord of birch. Within an hours drive of Edmonton hopefully. Will come pick up

Try calling Peter 780-695-6993.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:31 AM

20+ Poplars blew down along my lane way (1800' long). All I did was cut them near the ground & push them sort of into the bush edge.

Any one wants them can have them.

Westlock area.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:36 PM

I would make a day or two of it get a trailer and a 2 cord permit and go cut it your self permits under 15 bucks and you get to cut it your self