Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-20-2018, 07:31 AM

Default Muir Lake-anyone having any luck?

I have fished this lake about a dozen times this year, with only 1 nice brown to speak of. I have tried a variety of techniques, to no avail. I have been there when there are rising fish but could not figure out a suitable fly. Last night there were some sporadic risers, just slow rolling on the surface but I had no idea what they were feeding on. There were three other fishermen out, using indicators, I did not see any fish caught by these guys either. I was using a sinking line, with a streamer and a backswimmer/copper john pattern. Man this lake has had me buffaloed all summer. If anyone is catching fish here and has some tips on techniques I would love to get some help. Shoot me a PM and we can talk.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:02 AM

PM'd!
Old 09-21-2018, 07:20 AM

I have only been out twice recently. Both evenings there were lots rising. Could not catch one. That was my first time out since that winter kill a couple years ago. I used to be able to get them there. I know there are some nice ones there. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:36 AM

If you're not having any luck hanging an olive or black balanced leech under a bobber maybe try any minnow patterns you have.

Try different stripping speeds and variations.

With cooler temps ( and cloudy days) you'd be surprised how many big fish cruise the shoreline or hang out in shallow ( 2-4 feet) of water.

Though it's been a couple years since fishing Muir I had some good days sitting at South end in the skinny weeds or edge of weed beds chucking out olive and brown leech patterns ( minnow patterns too) and slow stripping with a floating line.

You'll know if they are keyed on boatman or backswimmer patterns as they won't be doing that frustrating slow roll at the surface but repeated and aggressive slashing.

Slow rolling trout could mean they are feeding on emergers just below the surface so maybe a chironomid hatch or midges.

Try a black and white ( or any other hundred different colored) chironomid patterns as a dropper under a leech or woolly bugger.

I hope that helps a bit.

Time for me to go going fishing in the snow!
Old 09-21-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsuplander View Post
I have fished this lake about a dozen times this year, with only 1 nice brown to speak of. I have tried a variety of techniques, to no avail. I have been there when there are rising fish but could not figure out a suitable fly. Last night there were some sporadic risers, just slow rolling on the surface but I had no idea what they were feeding on. There were three other fishermen out, using indicators, I did not see any fish caught by these guys either. I was using a sinking line, with a streamer and a backswimmer/copper john pattern. Man this lake has had me buffaloed all summer. If anyone is catching fish here and has some tips on techniques I would love to get some help. Shoot me a PM and we can talk.
In today’s technology all u have to do is google caddis flys and u will get all kinds
Of info on life cycle how they move in the waters etc, then do the same for all other insect life in that lake, example dragonfly,damselfly,backswinmers,boatmen,mayflys,l eaches, minnows this will educate on how the insects move in the water column , the part of the lake they live in etc. People can give u all kinds of spoon fed info but this will make u understand how to fish your fly as far as depth , retrieve and where in lake to find them, this will make u a better fisherman and knowledge able
I hope this helps
Old 09-21-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
In today’s technology all u have to do is google caddis flys and u will get all kinds
Of info on life cycle how they move in the waters etc, then do the same for all other insect life in that lake, example dragonfly,damselfly,backswinmers,boatmen,mayflys,l eaches, minnows this will educate on how the insects move in the water column , the part of the lake they live in etc. People can give u all kinds of spoon fed info but this will make u understand how to fish your fly as far as depth , retrieve and where in lake to find them, this will make u a better fisherman and knowledge able
I hope this helps
Huh?
Old 09-21-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Huh?
Give a man a fish, he eats that day. Teach a man to fish he eats for a life time. I think he is looking at the big picture, in my mind he gave very good advice.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-22-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Give a man a fish, he eats that day. Teach a man to fish he eats for a life time. I think he is looking at the big picture, in my mind he gave very good advice.
Maybe, but the presentation was the pits.

Anyway, I wonder how many people have actually read the plaques at the Muir "walk of fame" which quite clearly* describe the various food options, fly pattern options, and how how to fish them?

As to my past experience at Muir, at this time of year for the warmer sunny afternoons a silver bodied/dark brown quill back backswimmer pattern with a floating or Type I line should work well. In the evening try a pattern with some white in the body and be sure to cover the rises!

*Maybe not so clearly in recent years because the plaques have been dirtied up with poplar sap and grit. I tried cleaning one up last May but was worried about the finish.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:15 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Not new to the sport and have alot of knowledge regarding fly fishing hence my frustration with lack of success this year. I have tried many of the tactics discussed here and have done fine on this lake in the past. Just wondering if there is something that I may not be doing which could increase my success: such as does anyone target the surface feeding trout? if so what pattern? I have tried chronies and emergers in various sizes and colours but am wondering if I am missing something. Is that not what these forums are for? Discussing fishing techniques?
Old 09-22-2018, 12:55 PM

[QUOTE=Mr Flyguy;3844499]Maybe, but the presentation was the pits.

Nothing wrong with the presentation, not into sugar coating things . If u read something wrong into my words then u r interpreting my words the way u want

I could have spent a hour typing out explanation on how to fish each individual insect in the lake but I choose to give him a place to find all the info he needs and would be educational.

I’ve been around enough fly fishermen and forums in my life and if u want to respond to every post with your ideas go ahead, thinking outside the box makes a good fisherman
Old 09-23-2018, 05:40 PM

Finally. Stuck with the balanced leech under the indicator and landed my personal best rainbow. Over 18 inches and SUPER FAT. Long fight as well. Only fishing the day but a real beauty.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:29 PM

Stick to small minnow patterns that what the fish in there eat the most especially this time of year