Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-08-2018, 01:50 PM

Default Big bill wool clothing anyone try it?

https://www.gostwear.com/advanced_se...4CU2CeTK7Diwp1

Looks like quality gear. At reasonable price.

Had to do an edit.
**** that's 1000 posts. Does that mean I'm the real deal?
Old 11-08-2018, 01:52 PM
Banned

i ordered some early last week. it still hasn't shipped

but if i ever get it i'll let you know lol
Old 11-08-2018, 02:05 PM

It is great. I have been wearing it for years. My nephew just got me two new pairs of the bibs. Warm and quiet
Old 11-08-2018, 02:14 PM

Thumbs up GostWear has quality product

Good quality products, definitely recommended.
I have the pants in both 21 oz. wool and 18 oz. Merino wool. The 21 oz. is warmer, the Merino is more comfortable, go figure. Anyone who is sensitive to wool would likely need to wear a base layer under the 21 oz. cloth; I don't bother unless it is really cold out or the wind is howling.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-23-2018, 08:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i ordered some early last week. it still hasn't shipped

but if i ever get it i'll let you know lol
a month and it hasn't shipped yet... completely missed hunting season...
Old 11-23-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
a month and it hasn't shipped yet... completely missed hunting season...
That is exactly what happened to me last year.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:21 PM

Funny to see this thread. I was just looking at their 17 ounce plaid jack shirt. I have worn that style of jacket for years as a truck coat. Just finished a chat session, lady was very helpful. Won't have the size I want till Jan or Feb but am in no rush.

I have never actually bought anything from them but service so far seems okay. A little concerned about the comments on how long it takes them to ship product they have in stock though.

Maybe post back when you get it or an explanation of why it is taking so long. A little leary sending money to someone who doesn't ship very fast, particularly approaching Christmas. Wonder if the Postal strike has any bearing?
Old 12-02-2018, 10:57 AM

Thumbs up Happy surprise!

Placed an order on Nov. 23, found the parcel tucked behind the pillar on the front step this morning. With the parcel backlog from the revolving postal workers walkout, I wasn't expecting it to arrive so soon.
FTR- I did not pay for expedited delivery; used the default shipping option.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-08-2018, 02:10 PM

I tried contacting the company by phone and email several times and never got a response so I never ordered from them. I made the same comment on one of their instagram sponsored ads and they replied by telling me to dm them on instagram. You guessed it, no reply again.

No customer care = no sales to me.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSteel View Post
I tried contacting the company by phone and email several times and never got a response so I never ordered from them. I made the same comment on one of their instagram sponsored ads and they replied by telling me to dm them on instagram. You guessed it, no reply again.

No customer care = no sales to me.
Buy it here https://www.gostwear.com/hunting-c-86.html

Awesome customer service and Canadian as well. I have the heavy regular wool pant and the cargo merino wool pant. Both excellent product but the regular wool are warmer and what I use the most https://www.gostwear.com/bill-wool-h...nts-p-808.html

I tried several types of socks and they were awesome as well.

My only disappointment was the plaid jacket https://www.gostwear.com/bill-plaid-...ket-p-811.html It is more of a shirt than a jacket and is not the quality of the other items I ordered. For 100 dollars you can get a lot nicer shirts. I use it for walking the dogs in spring but in hind sight I should have just returned it.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:30 PM

I use it, and I like it. I've had good customer support right on their website with Live Chat.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Buy it here https://www.gostwear.com/hunting-c-86.html

Awesome customer service and Canadian as well.
That's the company that I tried to contact.

I've moved on from a company that clearly didn't want my money to a business that appreciates my orders.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:01 PM

I got the heavy and lighter wool paints. Love them, my experience with them was great.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSteel View Post
That's the company that I tried to contact.

I've moved on from a company that clearly didn't want my money to a business that appreciates my orders.
Strange, it has been a while since I contacted them so maybe things have changed. When I ordered I spent probably an hour on live chat harassing the employee about sizing etc. and she was very helpful. A rep was on GunNutz answering questions and offering discount codes. I am very sorry to hear this.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:54 PM

My go to camo for the last 10 years. Holds up good. I have a few different brands of camo but the big bill is my favorite. Warm, breathes but not too much and very quiet.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:09 PM

I have the 18 oz cargo and wore them all the way from hiking in Willmore to sitting in my blind working on tag soup. Extremely comfortable and warm, only qualm is that the cargo style is a little baggy, but would buy these or the non-cargo style in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2019, 05:29 PM

Default pants

I wear the wool pants when it dips to -10 or so if I'm going to be sitting.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:22 PM

I have the 18 oz. Very warm and comfortable for walking.
The only downside for me is they are dry clean only.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:51 PM

Thumbs up Gostwear FTW

I have found the 18oz. Merino wool pants are comfortable for hiking and short stands to -15C. When it gets colder I wear the 24oz. wool pants. Haven't needed to wear a base layer with either, yet. The wife liked the Merino wool so much, she got a pair as well. Although she wears a base layer, because wool.
The cargo pants are extra roomy in the legs, I have read that the regular pants in both weights fit more like jeans. These are old school wool work/hunting pants, they ride high and hang heavy, especially when you fill the pockets with stuff. I ended up getting their suspenders to keep everything in its proper place. Cue Elmer:
They are not as wind proof as the Work King fleece lined jeans, adding a base layer would make them comparable.

Considering I request normal Canada Post shipments, all of the orders I placed with Gostwear arrived correct and in reasonable time. There was one order that had an out of stock item, I was informed the same day via e-mail with a request for instructions: cancel item or leave on backorder, with as much as a 3 month wait. They were honest about it, so I left the item on order, it arrived about 2 months later.
10/10 will buy from them again.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:28 AM

Thanks for the replies gents. I think I am going to be sold on the 18oz merino wool pants!

I guess as long as I order in the next couple months I should have them before next November!!

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2019, 12:42 PM

the Alberta Trapper Assn. head office in Westlock had a whole pile of the pants in stock last time I was through there.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:20 AM

I decided to take a chance and ordered direct from the gostwear site about 6 weeks ago (early November), one pair 18oz cargo and one pair of 24oz cargo.

I usually wear a 32 waist with at least 32 length. I bought the 34 waist with 33 length because I knew I was going to wash them.

Shipping took 5 days so that was a nice surprise. Before washing they were huge, after washing they were a good fit. Pockets will curl like crazy. Waist fit about like a 33, length almost 32. Roughest "merino" wool I've ever worn but they make good winter outdoor/work pants.

Overall pretty happy with them and would buy again if I needed more wool pants for those conditions.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:01 PM

Just got one of the Olive Green 18 ounce Merino wool Zip up light car coats. Fits exactly like it should and like the size chart says. Being short armed I have to give the sleeves one roll, but I knew that would be true from the sizing chart. All of my Big Bill stuff I have been getting form Egli's because there were so many posts about Gost shipping and wait time issues. I ordered from Gost this time instead of Egli's because Gost was over $45 cheaper and Egli's had no interest in even trying to match their price. Thought for that big a difference, 26%, I would give them a try. Jacket was here in under a week, free shipping, 5PERCENT coupon code, all in including GST was $177.81.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:19 PM

Smile

Gostwear is currently offering a 10% discount on all orders and free shipping over $99.
Promo code: TOGETHER

Old 11-29-2020, 11:04 AM

This a a great thread on wool clothes. U[pdate, now been using the Big Bill Jack shirt, cargo pants from Elgis for two years and the Breen Wool Zip up Jacket from Gostwear for a year. Still very happy with all of the Big Bill clothing. Pants have been washed a few more times and have never shrank beyond the first wash. Jack shirt didn't shrink at all unfortunately so it is still pretty big. The Zip up jacket didn't shrink and is still a very nice fit.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:03 PM

Default Gostwear pants

I have been using their pants for a couple of years. Once it's below freezing they work awesome and they are very quiet. Also had no issues with ordering or delivery from Gostwear.

Last edited by DV-67; 11-29-2020 at 02:12 PM. Reason: add picture