Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-04-2018, 07:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Looking for a trapper.

Hi.

I've been asked if I know someone interested in trapping Coyote and Beaver in the Manning area. A friend wants to get rid of some on his land just south of Manning.

I'm not physically able to do it myself but I'd be willing to offer some help to anyone wishing to take on the project.

If anyone is interested PM me for details.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-04-2018, 08:49 PM

That's great you're passing the opportunity on Keg. The beaver will make good bait and coyotes are hitting $150 and the best paying fur right now.

Manning has a very active trapping local and Lenore their secretary is a super neat lady who I'm thinking could help you out. Contact number 780-219-0428
or manninglocal1020@gmail.com

Hope to see you at the Rendezvous in July.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:18 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
That's great you're passing the opportunity on Keg. The beaver will make good bait and coyotes are hitting $150 and the best paying fur right now.

Manning has a very active trapping local and Lenore their secretary is a super neat lady who I'm thinking could help you out. Contact number 780-219-0428

Thanks Brian. I will contact them.

In the mean time I'm putting in an effort, such as it is.

I have an E-caller I've never used before, so for the past few days I've been putting it to work. No luck so far.
I've never tried calling using an E-caller before so I'm kinda outa my comfort zone with this, but I'll learn.

I've been wanting to go to one of those rendezvous but so far it hasn't worked out to where I could. Too many other thing happening at the same time. Maybe this year I'll get to go.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-14-2018, 11:17 AM

Default Call coyotes.

Hey keg I would really enjoy meeting you at the rendezvous. Hope to see you in Grande prairie. Maybe teepee creek next summer. Calling coyotes can be a real art form. 5 hints... #1 don't call from your truck. Seems obvious but i see guys do it. Don't over call an area they will get wise.
#2 act like a sniper. Be white like a snowbank. Never skyline yourself as in don't sit ontop of a hill. Sit with good backing never sit with obstruction like trees in front of you.
#3 wind watch your wind direction. In the south these coyotes 8/10 travel to your down wind side. Keep that shooting lane open.
#4 use the sun to your advantage if they are looking into the sun you can be less cautious on your movements. Like moving your gun over a to get a bead on him.
#5 turn the caller off.... when I see a coyote and it's headed my way. I turn the caller off. If he stops turn it on. You don't need the caller to continuous call. If they can't see or hear anything they come in more slowly. You don't need coyotes charging in. Let them come to you nice and easy and then Bam. Use a mouse squeak when they are out a bit too far. Squeak them in.
I could chat all day on calling coyotes.
Good luck hope to meet you at the rendezvous
Bill
Old 11-20-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post

Any idea what whole coyotes are going for? Don’t have the time to skin them this year and if I could just sell them whole I’d be ok with that.