Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-28-2017, 03:37 PM

Default How many on here would like to see an increase in draw wait times?

TJ Schwanky has written an excellent article in the December, 2017 issue of Alberta Outdoorsmen which explains how the AGPAC sub-committee recommendations, if adopted, will almost certainly result in increased wait times for resident hunters who participate in the special license draws each year.
This article should be "required reading" for anyone who is concerned about the length of time it takes to get drawn for many of the licenses and about the prospect of increased wait times.
I believe that everyone who has such concerns should make them known in the form of a letter to the Alberta Game Policy Advisory Council (AGPAC) with copies you their MLA and the Alberta Fish and Game Association. Such letters should urge AGPAC to reject the sub-committee's recommendations in their entirety.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:42 PM

Can you provide a summary? I don't have the magazine
Old 11-28-2017, 03:52 PM

Haven't read the article but not necessarily wait times but I know tag numbers should decrease dramatically.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:58 PM
Banned

Default this?

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VZD78H2
Old 11-28-2017, 04:39 PM

Decrease outfitter allocations to 10% of harvest.
Decrease landowner tags to anterless only, some WMUs 38% of antlered MD harvest is by landowner tags.
Decrease non resident draws to zero.

How does that increase draw wait times?
Old 11-28-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
That's the survey on the sub-commitee's recommendations. I strongly recommend reading TJ's article before completing the survey. It may change your mind on some of the answers you submit to survey questions. The sub-committee's comments which accompany its recommendations are, in a number of cases, ambiguous . TJ's article removes much of the ambiguity.
Individual letters, as suggested in my original post, would be more effective than just filling out the survey questionnaire in my opinion.

Last edited by 270WIN; 11-28-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Decrease landowner tags to anterless only, some WMUs 38% of antlered MD harvest is by landowner tags.

Read TJ's article.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:

Yup and make it a hybrid lottery draw.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 11-28-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WIN View Post
That's the survey on the sub-commitee's recommendations. I strongly recommend reading TJ's article before completing the survey. It may change your mind on some of the answers you submit to survey questions. The sub-committee's comments which accompany its recommendations are, in a number of cases, ambiguous . TJ's article removes much of the ambiguity.
Individual letters, as suggested in my original post, would be more effective than just filling out the survey questionnaire in my opinion.
DO THE SURVEY. Because the survey must be complete by the 30th of November.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
Haven't read the article but not necessarily wait times but I know tag numbers should decrease dramatically.
So in your mind tag numbers are too high? But you think wait times should decrease. Do you understand the correlation between the two? Or do you just think less hunters should exist?
Old 11-28-2017, 07:05 PM

Standardize allocations across WMU's. 20% for bighorn sheep.

Hell No!
Old 11-28-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
Can you provide a summary? I don't have the magazine
Buy the mag and read the article. TJ's example explains it way better than any summary I could produce.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Buy the mag and read the article. TJ's example explains it way better than any summary I could produce.
Cant really do that before the 30th at this point can I?
Old 11-28-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotebutcher View Post
So in your mind tag numbers are too high? But you think wait times should decrease. Do you understand the correlation between the two? Or do you just think less hunters should exist?

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said wait times should decrease. I only said I believe tag numbers should decrease. Less tags given = longer wait times. Never mentioned hunter numbers once either.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:37 PM

Don’t have the magazine either.

According to the survey, there were a whooping 1,000 draw applications and 300 animals were awarded to nonresidents and many guys here say that removing the nonresidents from the equation will change things for us? This is the first time I am seeing these numbers and if they are correct, I am ok with those guys staying in system and would actually encourage it.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:51 PM

These are the NR Draw stats for 2016
The percentages have remained quite steady for the last 12 years.

2016 NR Special Licenses issued-
Total - 300
Applications - approx. 1000, Average Successful Priority Level - 3.3

WT - 1 out of 361 total licenses = 0.3%
MD - 149/10,188 = 1.5%
Elk - 32/1826 = 1.8%
Moose - 104/11,114 = 0.9%
Pronghorn - 14/678 = 2.1%

Total Licenses = 24,176
Total NR Licenses = 300, 1.2%

This proposal was highly sought out by APOS, determined to gain any and all access to NR hunting in the province. APOS claims illegal payments and loss of opportunity to have these NR buy their hunts as reasons for making the change.

Taking away NR Special licences will cost Alberta hunters more than they will ever gain.

Not only will we lose the opportunity to hunt with our friends and family that live elsewhere, Alberta would now be joining the path to reducing NR hunting in ALL other provinces.

Obviously this change will have absolutely ZERO effect in reducing Resident wait times.

Supporting this proposal is being very short sighted.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-28-2017, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:

I think these are all good ideas.....sorry all you objectors!
Old 11-28-2017, 08:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
These are the NR Draw stats for 2016
The percentages have remained quite steady for the last 12 years.

Obviously this change will have absolutely ZERO effect in reducing Resident wait times.
Are you suggesting that having another 3800 resident draw tags over the past 12 years would have zero effect on wait times today?
Old 11-28-2017, 08:26 PM

Old 11-28-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post
Standardize allocations across WMU's. 20% for bighorn sheep.

Hell No!
I agree with you totally. Big Horn Sheep should be 10% consistent with the other the other ungulate species.
Problem with the survey it does not allow one to express one's thoughts on this. The fact that the Phase In strategy recommendation was combined with the allocation recommendation is wrong. IMO there does not need to be a 5 year phase in period. Just do it now.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Yes you can get it done before November 30th.

Thanks to Purgatory for posting the link to access the survey.

I encourage our members to complete it.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:47 PM

I would like to see Alberta try the way Saskatchewan does the mule deer and Whitetail seasons , I think the Mule deer season for rifle is from Nov 1-15 and whitetail rifle is from Nov 15-Dec2 . It’s seams to work for them and I think Alberta should look at cutting back on the season lengths . Would see a increase in game numbers and the quality would increase if that’s what you are into . Just my thoughts for the deer anyway .
Old 11-28-2017, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
TJ Schwanky has written an excellent article in the December, 2017 issue of Alberta Outdoorsmen which explains how the AGPAC sub-committee recommendations, if adopted, will almost certainly result in increased wait times for resident hunters who participate in the special license draws each year.
This article should be "required reading" for anyone who is concerned about the length of time it takes to get drawn for many of the licenses and about the prospect of increased wait times.
I believe that everyone who has such concerns should make them known in the form of a letter to the Alberta Game Policy Advisory Council (AGPAC) with copies you their MLA and the Alberta Fish and Game Association. Such letters should urge AGPAC to reject the sub-committee's recommendations in their entirety.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Read TJ's article.

The survey is ambiguous.
It was presented because direction was requested.

It doesn't mean it will be observed,but it gives the population a chance ?

Participation is real action.

Real is actual participation .

Participation is just that.

Participation as an individual's satisfaction.

Results and what you may desire will depend on your actual commerce and commitment?

____.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
The survey is ambiguous.
It was presented because direction was requested.

It doesn't mean it will be observed,but it gives the population a chance ?

Participation is real action.

Real is actual participation .

Participation is just that.

Participation as an individual's satisfaction.

Results and what you may desire will depend on your actual commerce and commitment?

____.

I really want to grasp your meaning, but it eludes me.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:43 PM
Banned

Meaning is simple.
You have to be a participant.

As one who participates you will determine outcomes?

As an individual you lead or align your values .

Leadership and truth while holding a value requires more than a truth.

As an individual i have value when it is more than the minority.

I hope this helps?
Old 11-28-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Are you suggesting that having another 3800 resident draw tags over the past 12 years would have zero effect on wait times today?
Unless I am misunderstanding your point, 300 tags over the past 12 years would come to 3,600 tags.

Yes, I think there is zero effect yesterday, today or tomorrow. 300 tags a year out of nearly 24,500 in total? Common, lets be real here. I really do not see a problem there. I am sure most or many of us have relatives and friends living elsewhere in the country.

On the other hand, in regards to the landowner tags, I really do not understand the logic behind the first two points below:
Quote:
Three primary goals were intended for these licenses:
1. To reward landowners for providing land access to other hunters
2. To reward landowners for conserving wildlife habitat on their property
3. To help mitigate losses due to depredation from mule deer
And then if the numbers are true, this does not seem exactly fair, given the above does not make much sense (to me):
Quote:
Provincially, 11% of the available antlered mule deer quotas are now allocated to landowner licenses. In over 50% of the 91 WMUs where landowner licenses are issued, these licenses exceed 20% of available quotas. In some WMUs, landowner licenses account for up to 38% of all antlered mule deer licenses sold.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Unless I am misunderstanding your point, 300 tags over the past 12 years would come to 3,600 tags.

Yes, I think there is zero effect yesterday, today or tomorrow. 300 tags a year out of nearly 24,500 in total? Common, lets be real here. I really do not see a problem there. I am sure most or many of us have relatives and friends living elsewhere in the country.

On the other hand, in regards to the landowner tags, I really do not understand the logic behind the first two points below:

And then if the numbers are true, this does not seem exactly fair, given the above does not make much sense (to me):
It is I who may have been mistaken, I was thinking the 3600 tags were outfitter tags. I think Partner Tags with resident family and friends is a good idea.
I am not sure if taking tags away from landowners or restricting them to antlerless tags is going to be a good idea as far as them continuing to allow access. It appears the govt. are going to do it anyway, so I guess we will see.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:22 AM

As a landowner, I don’t see why I can’t get a buck tag or either sex tag. I feed the buggers year round, should be entitled to a deer.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
As a landowner, I don’t see why I can’t get a buck tag or either sex tag. I feed the buggers year round, should be entitled to a deer.
X2
Old 11-29-2017, 08:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
i agree some might call you that. it may not think what you think it does though.

it seems to me the mule deer ate just fine before you planted crops there

as a landowner i don't feel as though i own anything i didn't purchase