Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 08:44 PM

Default fly fishing

AS long as we are all on the same wave length,did I mention the time that, while, fly fishing just at dark, I caught a bat, just for a brief moment my fly line straight up, that was weird, let the little bugger go, got em on a silver doctor. Oh yes i once caught a frog--cant remember the fly.
and a fresh water mussel.
and my 170lb french fishing partner, Muddler Minnow in the cheek.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:45 PM

best to all and tight lines from silk to braid
Old 03-23-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
It actually takes skill to fly fish, seen 2 year old spin cast, so congrats on havin the skill set of a two year old! Putting a fly on a spinning is not fly fishing, I huck lures too, but unlike the some of these geniuses on here, I was able to differenciate between the two types of fishing, learn to read English, YOU'RE IN CANADA, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, do us all a favour and, LEAVE!!!!!!
You first. LOL. If you dont like it leave. rofl
This thread is not hurting you, and if it is ... well dont read it.
Yes I fly fish and yes I have done what was described(which may not be fly fishing in truest form, still fly fishing). Also downrig, troll, used pickeral rigs, and many other forms of fishing. Get over it!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 03-23-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:42 PM

Default fly fishing

Oh yes saw a black labrador hooked on a back cast, on Biscay Bay river, wow did that reel ever sing-----
Old 03-24-2018, 07:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Would you go on the archery forum and start flappin yer gums about guns?
Every time I venture onto the shooting/hunting/trapping forums I get suspended.
I now choose my words very carefully, trying to get my shots in with impunity.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:04 AM

Who cares how you present the offering. Isn't a whole lot of difference between Clousers and Jigs.
As long as the technique falls within the regs, who cares how you enjoy your day.
Some of you guys need to lighten up.

And I fish with fly rods for <> 60 years, been trying for 55 years, built plastic rods since 1969, bamboo since 1981, worked on regs changes getting the N. Ram and Ironside Pond to C&R status. Spent 50 years working on trout habitat.

Guess I'm an elitist.

Don
Old 03-24-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
Every time I venture onto the shooting/hunting/trapping forums I get suspended.
I now choose my words very carefully, trying to get my shots in with impunity.
Good plan. So I'll see you at the gun protest march this afternoon?
Old 03-24-2018, 09:49 AM

Default catching fish

My french fishing partner Luc, handles a fly rod like a surgeon handles a scalpel. He does own a spin rod, or tackle.
One trip to Pierre greys we set up the zodiac in the first small pond, not a trout riseing, several circles with the electric motor not a hit, or rise, I set my fly rod aside, and case a #3 blue fox,released 7or8----I suggested putting a fox on his fly rod, we kept our 10 trout limit, for frying, for the gang back at camp---catching trout soooo fun--even more so when everybody in the group has success.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Who cares how you present the offering. Isn't a whole lot of difference between Clousers and Jigs.
As long as the technique falls within the regs, who cares how you enjoy your day.
Some of you guys need to lighten up.

And I fish with fly rods for <> 60 years, been trying for 55 years, built plastic rods since 1969, bamboo since 1981, worked on regs changes getting the N. Ram and Ironside Pond to C&R status. Spent 50 years working on trout habitat.

Guess I'm an elitist.

Don
Well said Don. Thankyou for that.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:56 PM

What is lost in this discussion is that some flies in certain situations regardless of how they are presented are an effective way to catch fish,,,, and if it is a fly at the terminal end of the the line,, it is "fishing with a fly" no matter how you cast it.

The OP was merely trying to give anglers who might struggle with the fly casting part a tip on how to effectively fish with flies on something other than a fly rod!!!!

Kudos for that,,,, not crucifixion are in order!!!!!
Old 03-24-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
...., learn to read English, YOU'RE IN CANADA, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, do us all a favour and, LEAVE!!!!!!
How is your French actually?
Old 03-24-2018, 04:27 PM

Went fly fishing today. Used a two fly rig. Bottom fly was a Copper John and the second was a balanced leech. Went ok till the wind came up, then it bacame very difficult to hit the 8” hole. The trout also seemed a bit picky to my presentation but I solved that too. A couple of maggots on each fly sure did the trick🤓
Old 03-24-2018, 04:42 PM
Banned

So if a guy is lazing around in a pontoon on a lake, holding a fly rod, that has been presented (notice how I didn't say Cast, thought I'd go with an elitists term) with an indicator (bobber) 40 feet out on the lake, with a blood worm (wire worm) and a nymph dangling in the water column is this considered fly fishing?
Old 03-24-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
So if a guy is lazing around in a pontoon on a lake, holding a fly rod, that has been presented (notice how I didn't say Cast, thought I'd go with an elitists term) with an indicator (bobber) 40 feet out on the lake, with a blood worm (wire worm) and a nymph dangling in the water column is this considered fly fishing?
Only if the "angler" is using a $1,000 rod, $400 reel, $100 line, breathable $700 waders, $250 wading boots, with a $250 vest containing <> 3,000 flies c/w a buff, Tilley hat accompanied by a craft beer of indeterminate origin.

Don
Old 03-24-2018, 06:14 PM
Banned

I absolutely DO NOT CARE how anyone catches fish (legally), but anyone that uses a spinning rod with a fly tied on and calls it "fly fishing"... I just give them the "slow blink" and find another part of the planet to locate myself.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I absolutely DO NOT CARE how anyone catches fish (legally), but anyone that uses a spinning rod with a fly tied on and calls it "fly fishing"... I just give them the "slow blink" and find another part of the planet to locate myself.
X2
Old 03-24-2018, 07:29 PM

Default fly fishing ???

Quote:
Yes of course, I never called it fly fishing, you might review the thread, although i did hook and release over 60 atlantic salmon one summer, so yes a fly fisherman, and while fly fishing at 10 mile lake last summer, I caught not sure how a diveing duck, which caused quite a fuss, so now I may be in a really elite catagory. Also for the record--bat-mussel--frog--human.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Well, you won't be alone over there but at least there won't be any maggots!
Old 03-24-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
A slow blink ... you might be on the autism scale - maybe you and x2 peoplekind need to access your EAP plan
Old 03-25-2018, 05:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
A slow blink ... you might be on the autism scale - maybe you and x2 peoplekind need to access your EAP plan
I have a feeling that you have been "slow blinked" many, many times before. How long ago did you add the "t" to your username?
Old 03-25-2018, 12:35 PM

Fishing for humans is called "Trolling".

Hmmm.

Mods: We need a Trolling Discussion sub category in the fishing discussion..

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I have a feeling that you have been "slow blinked" many, many times before. How long ago did you add the "t" to your username?
just b4 i got the special helmut to ride the bus