Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointerman View Post
I have brewed a lot of beer over the years but I always hated the bottling process that all changed when my wife bought me a keg-orator for father's day. I bought a couple of corny kegs and bottling became a thing of the past. I always have fresh cold brew on tap now. I have tried all the kits and all grain but when you add it all up time and money it is hard to beat the Brew House all grain wort kits. They are excellent on there own but you can easily hack them with specialty yeast, steeped grains and dry hopping.
Home brewing is a great hobby and the end result is usually very rewarding. St. Albert Brew Crew has all the stuff you need to get kegging your own brew.
I have 3 stainless cyclinders like that one. Not sure whether I could use /connect them as I think they were from pop.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
Like bottle, but not a big fan of that beer.....so unlikely for me to accumulate those bottles.

And that stash of beer......boy that looks great....what I'm hoping for.

Any idea of what it's costing you per 341ml bottle of beer?
You can buy the bottles at the bottle depot. Most of the depots put that type of bottle aside for beer brewers.

As far as the cost goes, per 341ml bottle I brew at a cost of $.78-$.83 per bottle.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:29 PM

I have about 30 dozen empty Hiedleberg bottles if anyone wants them, come and get em, otherwise they are going to the recycler as the bottle depot won't take them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0041.jpg (47.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 01-10-2014, 08:42 PM

I need one of these!!!

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ557042816

Last edited by hillbilly willy; 01-10-2014 at 08:46 PM. Reason: link won't work
Old 01-10-2014, 08:42 PM

I'll take them. I'm in your area as well. PM sent
Old 01-10-2014, 08:54 PM

Done
Old 01-10-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Bump!

Anyone have any meads going?
I currently have three batches going. A medium mead, chokecherry melomel and a raspberry melomel. All from my own honey.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly willy View Post
Whoa that is one sweet kegorator!
Old 04-21-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointerman View Post
I have brewed a lot of beer over the years but I always hated the bottling process that all changed when my wife bought me a keg-orator for father's day. I bought a couple of corny kegs and bottling became a thing of the past. I always have fresh cold brew on tap now. I have tried all the kits and all grain but when you add it all up time and money it is hard to beat the Brew House all grain wort kits. They are excellent on there own but you can easily hack them with specialty yeast, steeped grains and dry hopping.
Home brewing is a great hobby and the end result is usually very rewarding. St. Albert Brew Crew has all the stuff you need to get kegging your own brew.
I would like to hear some more about these "hacks" you've tried. I am a very amateur brewer (about 3 batches to my credit) but this interests me. I have tried a few brewhouse kits but not sure about the bitterness.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwarburton View Post
I would like to hear some more about these "hacks" you've tried. I am a very amateur brewer (about 3 batches to my credit) but this interests me. I have tried a few brewhouse kits but not sure about the bitterness.
http://www.thevineyard.ca/making-beer?articleid=90
That will give you somewhere to start. you can also go to the http://www.homebrewtalk.com/ and get a lot of pointers and information.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:26 AM

Thanks mayaun and pointer. I am excited to get started now
Old 04-22-2014, 08:48 AM

Next time you go to the bottle depot. Ask if they have the flip top Grolsh Bottles. They don't put them in with the rest of the recycling... they save them and sell them for 50cents each to home brewers.

I just finished a Pumpkin Brown Ale, and a Vanilla Cream Ale. Next up is a Canadian Blonde and a Red Ale.

Got tired of bottling after only 3 kits. Bought an Edgestar Keggerator that fits two Cornelius kegs. Its awesome.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_r6 View Post
I just finished a Pumpkin Brown Ale, and a Vanilla Cream Ale. Next up is a Canadian Blonde and a Red Ale.
Man, do you ever know how to make a guy's mouth water!
Old 04-22-2014, 12:45 PM

I hope to get my 1st batch of the year going this weekend. It's a hoped-up version of an APA from one famous book which I once accidentally adjusted with extract after mistakenly calculating really low efficiency.
It made people giggling fast and now for the third year they ask for it to be the 1st batch I make in spring
Old 04-22-2014, 02:35 PM

Haven't made a batch since I put my old house on the market, about this time last year.
Just put the finishing touches on my Brewing/gun room, and started a batch on good friday. (hope it doesn't end up tasting like hoppe's #9)
That "Angry home brewer" thread got me seriously considering kegging. Where does everyone get their kegging equipment from? (I'd use Ontario Beer Kegs, but they're from east of Lloydminister, and nothing good comes from that direction! )
Old 04-22-2014, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Haven't made a batch since I put my old house on the market, about this time last year.
Just put the finishing touches on my Brewing/gun room, and started a batch on good friday. (hope it doesn't end up tasting like hoppe's #9)
That "Angry home brewer" thread got me seriously considering kegging. Where does everyone get their kegging equipment from? (I'd use Ontario Beer Kegs, but they're from east of Lloydminister, and nothing good comes from that direction! )
Look on Kijiji and you might get lucky.I scored 3 corny kegs locally for $40 each and I also scored 6 glass carboys that cost me a total of $85.If you have a large Pepsi bottling facility near you you could try there for some used corny kegs.Another alternative is to approach restaraunts and ask if you can buy their empty corny kegs for the deposit they got charged.Pepsi corny kegs are ball lock and Coke kegs are pin lock with Pepsi being the most popular.

Making your own kegrator is easy.All you need is a doner fridge either full size or even a bar fridge or you can go with a chest freezer but this will require a temperature control unit which adds to the cost.All told I turned my bar fridge into a kegrator in 1 night and all it took was a drill and some bits and a hole saw along with a screw driver.You will need a shank and a tap or multiples of these if you and a few different brews on tap.You will also need gas connects and liquid out connects and some beer line as well as hose clamps and also a drip tray.Lastly you will most likely have to search Ebay to get the tap handle/handles of your liking as it looks pretty bad having a black plastic tap handle on your kegrator that dispenses cold fresh joy that you made.

Hope this helps.

FTH