Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-28-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
The way I see it, it's my tag and I'll shoot if I want to.
I was way to busy to hunt this year so I 999 all of my draws and didn't buy any over the counter tags. My loss.
That said a friend of mine got drawn for speed goat, ant mule deer and moose all in the same year and didn't hunt for any of them, I was a little set back about it just for the reason that someone else would have loved to get just one of those draws never mind all of them. Each to there own but I think we should have to at least buy the draw tag and then get our money back of we didn't get drawn.
Yeah that's just ignorant as far as I'm concerned ,I guess the good thing is he'll have to wait another 15 years for antelope. I just don't get why people put in for draws and then don't hunt them ,especial 3in 1 year I could see guys doing one and something comes up. Anyway his loss

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2017, 01:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Round View Post
Yeah... No offense but having read a bunch of your posts, I'm a lot less inclined to check out your podcast. I'm not sure this is the best way to advertise.
No podcast for me.

Don’t care what you think either.

I’m sure if I had a podcast it would hurt your feelings.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:12 AM

It's not everyone.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:36 AM

As Ive become older, my attention has shifted more to predator hunting. It won't fill the freezer but allows me to get out and enjoy the wilderness during a quieter time of year.

Also, ungulates in my area are so scarce that I didn't buy tags this year (for the first time in decades).
Old 11-29-2017, 09:52 AM

For me, I'm lucky to get out hunting at all, with all the other commitments and demands on my time. I don't shoot at everything that moves, either.

Thankfully, I have some meat that was gifted to me this year, so in my case, having a friend who had a surplus is a good thing.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:17 AM

its seems the last few years my favorite meal has become tag soup

either way im happy to get out

my best year for meat was 1 elk and 1 buck whitetail

i agree with giving away meat to those who cant hunt but i have never cashed in more than one whitetail tag a year... supplemental tags are just a good way to donate my money

its legal to harvest what you have tags for, just not always necessary

everyone needs to find their own balance.

side note ... where the heck should i use my P9 mule deer tag next year??
Old 11-29-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
No podcast for me.

Don’t care what you think either.

I’m sure if I had a podcast it would hurt your feelings.
I was agreeing with you and referring to the podcast of the OP.

But I think it's funny how you're insulting me by calling me over-sensitive when you took something obviously intended for someone else personally.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHLANDER HUNTING View Post
It's not everyone.
Typo, I meant to say It's not for everyone. (The Podcast)

Wasn't meant to be. Just people sitting in a basement, bs'ing about stuff they find interesting....usually a few laughs, we try to throw in some useful info, every once in a while we have a guest.....We're having Robby Denning (Idaho hunter, guide, author, Rokslide contributor) on this week. They guy's an absolute beast when it comes to mule deer hunting. Can't wait to pick his brain a bit. Hope he doesn't get all moral on us... lol

John
Old 11-29-2017, 01:52 PM

My wife and I always try to fill all our draw tags and then try to fill whatever tags we have left. Here in SK, it's not uncommon to wait 10+ years for a moose or mule tag. Chances of drawing an Antelope tag, slim to none.

This year, we both drew either-sex moose tags. You bet your azz we both went and harvested both our bull moose. We kept one of the moose for our family, the other one we butchered and gave to two less fortunate families from my work and some to a good friend who had to miss out on hunting this season. I drew a mule deer tag, shot a monster and gave the buck to an other family. I also donated a whole whitetail buck to the Hunt for Hunger program at the SFW and my wife gave her WT to one of the landowners who allows us to hunt his property.

I live in an area where game is plentiful, no shortage of whitetails, mule deer or moose. If I have the time, I try to spend as much time as I can in the bush. I also enjoy filling my tags and giving/donating the meat to people. I don't see the point in not filling a tag if I am able to, only because I personally don't need it. I know others who do and finding takers has never been hard. With hunting season being right before the holidays, it's very rewarding to help others who have to decide between meat and presents for their kids. I've had some of the most sincere "thank yous" I've ever had these past weeks, all because I did what I love doing the most: hunting and processing game.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHLANDER HUNTING View Post
When to know when enough is enough. For me, it's when my freezer is full.
So...how many deer does it take to fill your freezer, 3, 7, 15?
If I have tags left and I feel like going hunting, I'm going.