Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-27-2017, 02:23 PM

Purchased 6 tags and filled 3. 2 of the 5 were draws so they had the highest priority. Filled archery antelope and NT sheep. Filled WT. Did not fill Trophy Sheep. Did not fill MD. Did not fill elk but still workin' on that. Went hunting this morn and 5 minutes into it my buddy shot a WT meat buck and kindly donated it to a family in need. It's not a body count.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
What ever turns your crank, just don't try to force your moral beliefs onto others. It divides us as a group and harms our conservation efforts. Harvesting the young, slow and weak has been scientifically proven to strengthen the herd if that is your question.

I had seven deer within 20 yards of me yesterday, two even had a wee nap. One button buck separated from it's mother because of the rut was literally within reach. I was no threat to them as my killing days are near over but I commend people like Father of Five that takes his boys out hunting, fills their tags and keeps the population healthy.
If I killed everything I had a tag for this season I would have had over 500 lbs of meat. I have a family of 3. So like most other hunters, yourself included, I self regulate.
But by putting that into a post on here I'm somehow ramming my morals down people's throat?
Think you're over reacting a little.

As for the podcast. The moderators haven't had any problem with us mentioning our podcast on this forum. We don't make any money off it. We want to provide info to people about the kind of hunting we like, want to interview people who have useful info, stories, experience, etc that can help people either start out hunting, or speed up their learning curve.

And I'm happy with the job we've done on the podcast. The only criticism we get is that our sound quality wasn't that good in the beginning. Our sound quality has been a challenge because we don't make any money off it! That and we're two guys literally sitting around a table in one of our basements!

So you can call me out all you like for trying to promote our podcast. It's worth promoting in my opinion.

We got a new logo, designed by the other Mrs. Highlander

cheers
John
highlanderhunting.podbean.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HighlanderHunting_logo_email_signature.jpg (14.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-27-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
We decide as a group using scientific research to determine how many tags are issued. Too many animals on land is much more dangerous to the health of the herd than someone taking their legal limit of animals. Northern Michigan is a prime example where disease has devastated the herd.

When one steps up and says "Yeah it's legal but I am above the killing and filling of all tags" it divides and alienates part of our demographic. If in fact too many tags are issued we should speak up as a group and make certain the powers to be are aware of our concerns.

See, now this was a coherent, logical, and respectful argument worthy of debate. It actually makes a lot of sense to me.

Quote:
So are you are just wanting to mindlessly contradict as usual or was there a point to quoting me again and adding a smart comment to take my point of view out of context? No I did not say "Kill as many animals as you legally can" I said the harvest itself is the most important part a hunter plays in conservation and we don't need some high horse riders telling us how to conduct ourselves when we are acting in a legal, moral and ethical manner. I went on to say that harvesting animals is just as morally sound and IMO more so than someone that watches from the side lines pointing fingers at others
And this is where you fall back into an argue/snarl/insult pattern. Your posts on this thread have been pretty good examples of finger pointing and dividing, for a guy who bemoans finger pointing and division.

Last edited by Okotokian; 11-27-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHLANDER HUNTING View Post
If I killed everything I had a tag for this season I would have had over 500 lbs of meat. I have a family of 3. So like most other hunters, yourself included, I self regulate.
But by putting that into a post on here I'm somehow ramming my morals down people's throat?

As for the podcast. The moderators haven't had any problem with us mentioning our podcast on this forum. We don't make any money off it. We want to provide info to people about the kind of hunting we like, want to interview people who have useful info, stories, experience, etc that can help people either start out hunting, or speed up their learning curve.

And I'm happy with the job we've done on the podcast. The only criticism we get is that our sound quality wasn't that good in the beginning. Our sound quality has been a challenge because we don't make any money off it! That and we're two guys literally sitting around a table in one of our basements!

So you can call me out all you like for trying to promote our podcast. It's worth promoting in my opinion.

cheers
John
So if you filled all your tags you’d have 500lbs of meat for 3 people? My way of figuring that’s a bit less then 1/2 lb meat per person per day. Since you don’t fill all your tags what’s you meat per person ration?

I don’t fill all my tags either. Mostly this is because I somewhat practice selective hunting. 500lbs of meat is a nice start to being well nourished but we’d still have to supplement our diet with pork and fish and there’s only 2 of us in the household.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:

cheers
John
Hi John, thanks for doing the podcast! As a new hunter I've listed to almost all of your episode and have found them to be interesting and very, very informative.

Also, to your self-admitted point, the sound quality could be better, but I totally understand the business case for Podcasts is very slim. As a former audio engineer I can help you guys out with some pointers or even some gear if you need help in that area. Just PM me if you want.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
Hi John, thanks for doing the podcast! As a new hunter I've listed to almost all of your episode and have found them to be interesting and very, very informative.

Also, to your self-admitted point, the sound quality could be better, but I totally understand the business case for Podcasts is very slim. As a former audio engineer I can help you guys out with some pointers or even some gear if you need help in that area. Just PM me if you want.
Thank's dude. I will take yo up on that.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
So if you filled all your tags you’d have 500lbs of meat for 3 people? My way of figuring that’s a bit less then 1/2 lb meat per person per day. Since you don’t fill all your tags what’s you meat per person ration?

I don’t fill all my tags either. Mostly this is because I somewhat practice selective hunting. 500lbs of meat is a nice start to being well nourished but we’d still have to supplement our diet with pork and fish and there’s only 2 of us in the household.
Not sure. I know that two deer and a bunch of elk meat (elk gratefully donated after helping to pack elk out) will do us for 12 months. Based on fullness of the freezer.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not sure. I know that two deer and a bunch of elk meat (elk gratefully donated after helping to pack elk out) will do us for 12 months. Based on fullness of the freezer.
So I would think that you could ballpark 200-250 lbs? Not a whole lot imo.

Shoot what you need, need what you shoot.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:

cheers
John
Here is your original rant. An admitted attempt to ram your morals onto others;

body count mentality

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A quick rant here,
There's a fine line with hunting. When to know when enough is enough. For me, it's when my freezer is full. When you're thinking about who to give meat to, maybe you're done for the year?

I might get flamed out over this post, but there's a point when just because you have a tag for something, doesn't justify filling it. In my opinion anyway....

Don't we always say that hunting IS conservation?

Cheers.
John
Highlander Hunting Podcast

No one has to justify filling their tags to you or anyone else. Your post is a self congratulatory attempt to make yourself look morally superior to others, nothing more. I would bet money you don't know or even care slightly how many tags others have or have filled. Surely you don't know what meat was gifted and surely such a genuine and kind gesture is not offensive to you or anyone else.

The statement you quoted was not directed at you. You are again trying to promote yourself and look good by taking my statement out of context.

Here is my response to your original post if you would like to rebuttal to a statement actually directed at you;

So another self congratulatory thread started by someone basically new to the forum advertising a pod cast or website.

In your few months here you have come to the conclusion that we immoral red necks need a lesson from the high road that is Highlander Hunting.

Your freezer is full you say. Well my freezer would easily hold 10 Whitetails and maybe 15 is they were young ones. It would alternatively hold an elk or two, a moose and a few deer if I was after the other allowable and perhaps a possession limit or two of fowl. If my freezer was empty from the start and I decided to fill it each year I would feel like a slob pig hunter, but that's just me, I would never project on to others.

I was just reading the "What's happened here" thread and if you are actually wondering just reread your opening preamble to this fine thread. We the general public, although bound by legal restriction, need to better control our primal nature to kill, kill, kill until there is nothing left to kill. Well thanks so much for enlightening us for we would have never known.

Hunting IS conservation you say. Well not if you don't kill anything. If you don't kill you are merely a passive bystander outside of the food change. Because the likelihood of yourself actually being eaten is next to nil, you simply become irrelevant.

Deer numbers (and most other game) have rebounded nicely since the last winter kill in spite of our ignorance and poor management practises. Winter BTW is the deciding factor not a couple or extra tags filled. As mentioned, there is a deer a day killed on most secondary highways in Alberta. I only hope they don't cost more families their lives as numbers start to get too high again.

You need to educate yourself on land carrying capacities and the true role the hunter must play in conservation. Whitetail deer are not even a native species. Left to their own devices they will starve out themselves and other animals, cause havoc on the highways and introduce disease that may be the end of not only themselves but maybe us as well. If the winters truly become shorter and warmer, which seems to be the case, we need to step up our harvest and encourage others to do so as well.

Then there is the Darwin theory of a healthy herd. Trophy and selective hunters want to challenge themselves to take the smartest, biggest and healthiest animals AND there is nothing wrong with that. True conservation is about harvesting the young, stupid or slow in numbers so they don't challenge for the resources that feed the others. The strong will survive and although smaller in over numbers the animals will be bigger, stronger, faster and healthier than the previous generations. This is why we have big northern Whitetails not in spite of our ignorance.

HABITAT LOSS AND OVER POPULATION ON LIMITED LAND is THE enemy of a healthy ecosystem and good hunting. By buying tags, introducing new hunters and harvesting animals we become stewards of the environment because WE ALL WANT NICE PLACES TO HUNT WITH A HEALTHY POPULATION OF ANIMALS.

HUNTING CONSERVATIONISTS should go one step further by supporting ACA, Ducks Unlimited and other organisations founded by outdoorsman rather than spending their time looking down their noses at others. These organisations purchase enormous tracks of land that ensure our hunting future, educate non hunters on the important role we play and welcome everyone that wants to get involved.

So I would like to offer a big congratulations to those participating in the hunt as a part of the ecosystem and not as conscientious bystanders. Numbers are up so increase your harvest and enjoy the rewards. A special shout out to Father of Five on a great season and sharing your conservation efforts in this great thread. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=334087

Be sure to check out my pod cast, follow my twitter, like me on Facebook, ogle my instagram......
Old 11-27-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
See, now this was a coherent, logical, and respectful argument worthy of debate. It actually makes a lot of sense to me.

And this is where you fall back into an argue/snarl/insult pattern. Your posts on this thread have been pretty good examples of finger pointing and dividing, for a guy who bemoans finger pointing and division.
If it hasn't become obvious from our other discussions I couldn't care less about what you think. You live on the forum and feel a need to comment on every subject even when you know nothing about it, which is more often than not considering your post count.

So again you bring nothing to the discussion, just mindless contradiction.

If you have an original thought, perhaps on the subject of filling tags etc., please share it with us rather than wasting time dissecting other's opinions.

Morals and ethics are personal to an individual. Suggesting moral superiority over others is what divides us. Fly fishers vs spin casters, bow hunters vs rifle hunters, and here meat hunter vs trophy hunters or quality vs quantity.

I know comprehension is not your strong suite so I will leave it at that.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
We decide as a group using scientific research to determine how many tags are issued. Too many animals on land is much more dangerous to the health of the herd than someone taking their legal limit of animals. Northern Michigan is a prime example where disease has devastated the herd.

When one steps up and says "Yeah it's legal but I am above the killing and filling of all tags" it divides and alienates part of our demographic. If in fact too many tags are issued we should speak up as a group and make certain the powers to be are aware of our concerns.

So are you are just wanting to mindlessly contradict as usual or was there a point to quoting me again and adding a smart comment to take my point of view out of context? No I did not say "Kill as many animals as you legally can" I said the harvest itself is the most important part a hunter plays in conservation and we don't need some high horse riders telling us how to conduct ourselves when we are acting in a legal, moral and ethical manner. I went on to say that harvesting animals is just as morally sound and IMO more so than someone that watches from the side lines pointing fingers at others.
Just because people choose not to fill all their tags does not make them "above the killing and filling of all tags" nor does it put them on a "high horse" that's your dismissive context added to something that was not necessarily said or even implied. Some might say those poopooing those who don't fill their tags are the ones on a "High horse"

When they issue tags they know everyone will not fill them be it that they choose not to, they didn't have opportunity, some never got time to hunt or very little time, etc. This harvest success rate is figured into the amount of tags allowed for both general tags and draw tags.

In the past 3 years an average of just over 130,000 general whitetail tags have been sold in Alberta each year. Province wide overall success rate hovers just over 30%, last year just over 40,000 whitetails were harvested by hunters. Over 10,000 killed by vehicles yearly, how many do predators take? If everyone filled all their tags as is being suggested by many in this thread causing 130,000 deer a year to be killed by hunters there would be a horrendous overkill. According to some population estimates there might not even be that many whitetails in Alberta right now. Some of us should really think about what is being asked here.

Last edited by Bushrat; 11-27-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:11 PM

Got four tags this year and they are all going on the x-mas tree. Also got a freezer full of Alberta beef and pork, so maybe an elk next year.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Just because people choose not to fill all their tags does not make them "above the killing and filling of all tags" nor does it put them on a "high horse" that's your dismissive context added to something that was not necessarily said or even implied. Some might say those poopooing those who don't fill their tags are the ones on a "High horse"

When they issue tags they know everyone will not fill them be it that they choose not to, they didn't have opportunity, some never got time to hunt or very little time, etc. This harvest success rate is figured into the amount of tags allowed for both general tags and draw tags.

In the past 3 years an average of just over 130,000 general whitetail tags have been sold in Alberta each year. Province wide overall success rate hovers just over 30%, last year just over 40,000 whitetails were harvested by hunters. Over 10,000 killed by vehicles yearly, how many do predators take? If everyone filled all their tags as is being suggested by many in this thread causing 130,000 deer a year to be killed by hunters there would be a horrendous overkill. According to some population estimates there might not even be that many whitetails in Alberta right now. Some of us should really think about what is being asked here.
And you should be the first. The OP came out with preamble implying that people should not be filling tags that were legally allotted to them. That there is an imaginary line crossed when one's freezer was filled to some unknown capacity that he and apparently others of moral superiority are aware of but others are not.

I am in no way suggesting that everyone fill all tags that are available to them and in fact have never done so myself. I still have my Whitetail tag and it is more likely than not that I don't fill it even though I could fold it most any day I wanted.

My problem is the judgement of others that may choose to do so. As you mentioned, the powers to be calculated that some but not all will fill their tags. These numbers while not exact would remain consistent enough from year to year to make calculations.

I am a fly fisherman. I do not use or even own spinning gear. In fact, I seldom if ever use wet flies, always barb my hooks and release every fish even where legal not to. This is all good and totally my business.

Now if I went on to say; You people should learn to control your urges to bait and damage fish, spin fishing should be more regulated and retaining fish for the pan was crossing a moral line, I would be making an attempt to impose my morals and beliefs on others.

It is this constant belittlement of other outdoorsmen that has reduced the numbers of actual hunting and fishing posts to near nil and sent so many to places like Facebook where they feel welcomed and not judged.

It is threads like this one that expose people to the moral judgement and belittlement that is so often displayed here. When people witness judgement they become reluctant to participate even if they do not partake in the activity under attack. Fear of judgement is more crippling than judgement itself.

I suggest that we leave moral judgement in the hands of each individual and stick to the positive. Fill your tags, don't fill your tags, bow hunt, rifle hunt, fly fish, spin cast it's all good. What we all have in common is a love of wild places. The best way to protect these places and the freedom to enjoy them is to embrace our differences and stand united as a group.

Those of you that continue down this moral high road better be well prepared to stand alone when your rights are threatened. There is strength in numbers and every person you morally alienate weakens our community and does nothing but inflate your ego.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
And you should be the first. The OP came out with preamble implying that people should not be filling tags that were legally allotted to them. That there is an imaginary line crossed when one's freezer was filled to some unknown capacity that he and apparently others of moral superiority are aware of but others are not.

I am in no way suggesting that everyone fill all tags that are available to them and in fact have never done so myself. I still have my Whitetail tag and it is more likely than not that I don't fill it even though I could fold it most any day I wanted.

My problem is the judgement of others that may choose to do so. As you mentioned, the powers to be calculated that some but not all will fill their tags. These numbers while not exact would remain consistent enough from year to year to make calculations.

I am a fly fisherman. I do not use or even own spinning gear. In fact, I seldom if ever use wet flies, always barb my hooks and release every fish even where legal not to. This is all good and totally my business.

Now if I went on to say; You people should learn to control your urges to bait and damage fish, spin fishing should be more regulated and retaining fish for the pan was crossing a moral line, I would be making an attempt to impose my morals and beliefs on others.

It is this constant belittlement of other outdoorsmen that has reduced the numbers of actual hunting and fishing posts to near nil and sent so many to places like Facebook where they feel welcomed and not judged.

It is threads like this one that expose people to the moral judgement and belittlement that is so often displayed here. When people witness judgement they become reluctant to participate even if they do not partake in the activity under attack. Fear of judgement is more crippling than judgement itself.

I suggest that we leave moral judgement in the hands of each individual and stick to the positive. Fill your tags, don't fill your tags, bow hunt, rifle hunt, fly fish, spin cast it's all good. What we all have in common is a love of wild places. The best way to protect these places and the freedom to enjoy them is to embrace our differences and stand united as a group.

Those of you that continue down this moral high road better be well prepared to stand alone when your rights are threatened. There is strength in numbers and every person you morally alienate weakens our community and does nothing but inflate your ego.
You're really offended by this eh?
Moral judgement? moral high road? morally alienate? That's what you got from me saying that stopping hunting once you have enough meat for the year?
I can tell you that you've spent more time thinking about my original post and what I meant than I ever did before writing it!
Old 11-28-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Moral judgement? moral high road? morally alienate? That's what you got from me saying that stopping hunting once you have enough meat for the year?
I can tell you that you've spent more time thinking about my original post and what I meant than I ever did before writing it!

Sounds like you're offended by what he wrote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Maybe you should have thought a bit more before writing it.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:23 AM

For the guys suggesting harvest numbers be more accurate maybe we should have mandatory registration for all big game species. Id be in favor of that. It does give them more concrete numbers then the current harvest optional survey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn2 View Post
For the guys suggesting harvest numbers be more accurate maybe we should have mandatory registration for all big game species. Id be in favor of that. It does give them more concrete numbers then the current harvest optional survey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As long as all stake holders participate it would be worthwhile...we know that ain't happening.

LC
Old 11-28-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Maybe you should have thought a bit more before writing it.
Yeah... No offense but having read a bunch of your posts, I'm a lot less inclined to check out your podcast. I'm not sure this is the best way to advertise.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
As long as all stake holders participate it would be worthwhile...we know that ain't happening.

LC
Exactly, in order for game management to be effective, all people using the resource must participate, otherwise, it is a losing battle.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:09 AM
Banned

5 quarters of moose, 2 quarters of elk, and 2 deer. From the look of my truck I'm guessing about 1400lbs before I debone, then I'd say about 700-800lbs of meat when I'm done. The inlaws will be over helping cut and wrap since my father in law can't get out in the woods anymore, and they help cut and wrap, we give them enough to make it through to next season.

Last fall was 6 quarters of moose, 2 quarters of elk, and two deer. We have less than a dozen packs of meat left. Seems 500-600lbs of meat is just enough to last us but the boys are getting bigger so it might go up slightly.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:21 AM

I agree 100%. This body count mentality has never been more prevalent than I have seen this year and it is severely ****ing me off!!
Old 11-28-2017, 10:35 AM
Banned

Body count vs hunters at my camp this year:

10 hunters

4 deer

3 moose

1 elk

Countless animals passed up and everyone went home happy.

For some it's the meat, for some it's the antlers, for some it's just getting out. At least not everyone is an anti.

Weather, natural predators, and environment play a much bigger factor on animal numbers than hunting imo.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:40 AM

All this whining and crying about hunting limits and limiting your catch etc starting to #%#!ing me off.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
If it hasn't become obvious from our other discussions I couldn't care less about what you think. You live on the forum and feel a need to comment on every subject even when you know nothing about it, which is more often than not considering your post count.

So again you bring nothing to the discussion, just mindless contradiction.

If you have an original thought, perhaps on the subject of filling tags etc., please share it with us rather than wasting time dissecting other's opinions.

Morals and ethics are personal to an individual. Suggesting moral superiority over others is what divides us. Fly fishers vs spin casters, bow hunters vs rifle hunters, and here meat hunter vs trophy hunters or quality vs quantity.

I know comprehension is not your strong suite so I will leave it at that.
awwwww muffin.... When logic fails, insult. LOL
Old 11-28-2017, 10:59 AM

I really could care less how many tags people fill, as long as it is done legally, and the meat does not get wasted. I have killed many animals over the years, but I have also had many tags left over most years, quite often because I either turned down all the bucks that I saw, or because we already had as many animals as we wanted to harvest that year. This year, we had three pronghorn tags, and one of our party decided that two bucks was enough for our group, so he never shot one, even though he had the opportunity. I drew Camp Wainwright deer as well as antlered moose on the base, and I will not kill a deer unless I find a large antlered buck. I could care less that I waited a few years to draw the tags, if I don't fill them, I won't feel as if I lost anything. And by the same token, if someone chooses to shoot two fawns to fill their tags, I have no issue with that.
What I o have an issue with, is the people that fill their freezers with big game, birds, or fish, and then don't eat it and end up using it for bear bait, or just throw it away.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
awwwww muffin.... When logic fails, insult. LOL
Quote:
You didn't say that you stop hunting when you had enough meat. You said you were going to rant. Rant by definition is voicing one's disapproval of another's beliefs or action.

In this particular case you wanted to voice your disapproval of those that fill their tags, this the heading "body count mentality"

Had you offended some folks inadvertently it is no big deal, it happens. In this case however you knew you were offending others as you added "I will get flamed for this"

When someone sets out to alienate and offend other legal and morally correct members it bothers me. I know it shouldn't but I hate seeing good members leave the forum or stop posting pictures of their adventures for fear of judgement from the likes of you.

I'm done here. If you haven't got it by now you aren't going to and a doe just walked out on the cut line I am watching.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Body count vs hunters at my camp this year:

10 hunters

4 deer

3 moose

1 elk

Countless animals passed up and everyone went home happy.

For some it's the meat, for some it's the antlers, for some it's just getting out. At least not everyone is an anti.

Weather, natural predators, and environment play a much bigger factor on animal numbers than hunting imo.
Sounds like a great year Kurt, I could have shot dozens of whitetail bucks but freezer full I just couldn’t find the one I wanted I cleaned everything up yesterday seasons over had a blast chasing deer with the old man he took a decent 160” deer last day haven’t seen old man shoot a deer in years
Old 11-28-2017, 06:49 PM

If I get a tag I fill it

I don’t care about antler size

When I guided, antlers and horns meant everything to the hunter.

I’m not like that

5x5......2x2.....doe....I couldn’t care less.

My freezer is empty by June. I look forward to hunting another deer or three the next season.

I’m always amused at the “passed up this 5x5” stories.

Someone else may have shot it later.

Then again, if a hunter passes on an animal, that’s his/her choice and good on them for sticking with their self imposed limits.

I share a lot. Like anything that belongs to me, I do what I please with it.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:20 PM

The way I see it, it's my tag and I'll shoot if I want to.
I was way to busy to hunt this year so I 999 all of my draws and didn't buy any over the counter tags. My loss.
That said a friend of mine got drawn for speed goat, ant mule deer and moose all in the same year and didn't hunt for any of them, I was a little set back about it just for the reason that someone else would have loved to get just one of those draws never mind all of them. Each to there own but I think we should have to at least buy the draw tag and then get our money back of we didn't get drawn.