Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-16-2014, 07:56 PM

Default Many people shoot handguns?

How many people on here have their restricted PAL and shoot handguns? I understand it's quite hard to get, but when it comes to paper punching I think the handgun wins hands down in the enjoyment factor. I remember being in Poland for a time and getting to shoot a variety of handguns. Really good fun , especially the glock and colt 45.
DA
Old 07-16-2014, 08:12 PM

Not that hard to get. Just an additional test to write.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:41 PM

The challenge isn't in getting a 'restricted' endorsement for your PAL, or making the purchase. The real problem lies in finding a legal place (a CFO-approved range) in which to shoot the darn thing(s) that is less than an hour's drive from home.

Without membership access to a club's facility, you will be forced to spend big $ at a commercial facility (of which there are 2 in each of Edmonton and Calgary, iirc).
Old 07-16-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
The challenge isn't in getting a 'restricted' endorsement for your PAL, or making the purchase. The real problem lies in finding a legal place (a CFO-approved range) in which to shoot the darn thing(s) that is less than an hour's drive from home.

Without membership access to a club's facility, you will be forced to spend big $ at a commercial facility (of which there are 2 in each of Edmonton and Calgary, iirc).
Not sure what the point of only being able to use handguns at approved tangs is. Sounds a bit draconian. A gun is a gun after all.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:59 PM

Easy to get restriced, buy a cheap gun club memebership at phoenix, they are around 25, and that will be good enough for the CFO to approve you gun purchase. That doesn't give you range access at Phoenix though, but at least that way you don't need to get a range membership somewhere off the hop. Then you can pay daily range fees to where ever you want to go in Alberta with your pistol if the range allows a daily use.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukesArcher View Post
Not sure what the point of only being able to use handguns at approved tangs is. Sounds a bit draconian. A gun is a gun after all.

You can own the hand gun, but the administrators seem to want to define the use.

So you can own it but only use it according to the rules.

Please take your firearms course so you can enjoy the adventure.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is draconian. As to guns being guns, the law has seen fit to categorize them in odd ways in Canada. The law also prescribes storage and transport rules. Any mistake of omission or commission made in regard to firearms laws in Canada can lead to criminal charges, prosecution, fines, emprisonment.

Since you're from away I suggest you take the Canadian Firearms Courses (for non-restricted and restricted firearms) then write the PAL and R-PAL exams. While you're doing that, look into joining a club or range that is approved for handgun use.

Another option is to join IPSC Alberta, the sanctioning body for action shooting in Alberta.

To join IPSC, you first have to take a 2.5 day instructional course and pass their exam, which costs about $250. This course is excellent training by the way: you will practice safe gun handling with real guns loaded with real ammo. You will fire the gun (400 rounds), learn to clear malfunctions, shoot on the move and at moving targets. You need to bring your own gun, ammo, holster, magazines (min. of 4), mag pouches, or borrow that stuff from a friend - so you'll definitely need your R-PAL license first.

There are IPSC matches in many locales in Alberta, but you will have to travel to those ranges, pay match fees, and provide volunteer labour to tear down the match stages. IPSC is a lot of fun.

IPSC also places different types of handguns into different categories (called Divisions). You need to understand the implications of those before purchasing a handgun that falls into a certain Division.

Last edited by twofifty; 07-16-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:30 PM

yup ...own handguns

should be able to shoot them on private property at the least .......... my 308 is way more dangerous than a handgun ...go figure
Old 07-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Banned

Got a few. A good way to spend a free afternoon or morning, hit the range, take a couple handguns with.

It's not that hard to get, just make sure you follow all the draconian laws to a "T".
Old 07-16-2014, 09:41 PM

Have it, love it, well worth it.
Worth all the laws and hassles,
More options are always good,
And my first ipsc match is coming up, so that's exciting.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Yes, it is draconian. As to guns being guns, the law has seen fit to categorize them in odd ways in Canada. The law also prescribes storage and transport rules. Any mistake of omission or commission made in regard to firearms laws in Canada can lead to criminal charges, prosecution, fines, emprisonment.

Since you're from away I suggest you take the Canadian Firearms Courses (for non-restricted and restricted firearms) then write the PAL and R-PAL exams. While you're doing that, look into joining a club or range that is approved for handgun use.

Another option is to join IPSC Alberta, the sanctioning body for action shooting in Alberta.

To join IPSC, you first have to take a 2.5 day instructional course and pass their exam, which costs about $250. This course is excellent training by the way: you will practice safe gun handling with real guns loaded with real ammo. You will fire the gun (400 rounds), learn to clear malfunctions, shoot on the move and at moving targets. You need to bring your own gun, ammo, holster, magazines (min. of 4), mag pouches, or borrow that stuff from a friend - so you'll definitely need your R-PAL license first.

There are IPSC matches in many locales in Alberta, but you will have to travel to those ranges, pay match fees, and provide volunteer labour to tear down the match stages. IPSC is a lot of fun.

IPSC also places different types of handguns into different categories (called Divisions). You need to understand the implications of those before purchasing a handgun that falls into a certain Division.
England is a million times worse though......trust me. Getting a shotgun is about as hard as restricted firearms here. Don't get me started on rifles!!!!!! Took me a year to get the licence to purchase a rimfire rifle, and if has a ton of restrictions on it.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:06 PM

1000yards, what did you think of the shooting component of your BB course?
Old 07-16-2014, 10:26 PM

I loved it,
It was basic but before that I had zero actual instruction, so it was great to get corrected on my grip, stance and trigger.
I feel much more confident with using a holster, and am a much better shot with what I learned from the course.
The course certainly focused more on IPSC and holster safety, but I really enjoyed the weekend and came out of it with alot of information.
Was not even that interested in IPSC before hand, but the course and mini course really made it fun and quite interesting so I am looking forward to trying it
Old 07-16-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yards View Post
Have it, love it, well worth it.
Worth all the laws and hassles,
More options are always good,
And my first ipsc match is coming up, so that's exciting.
I agree whole heartedly. I'm like a chubby kid with Smarties though, I can't seem to stop! Hey, some collect stamps, some butterflies, some watches...I collect Sigs, S&W, Colt, Ruger.....got a deal in the works for a minty Colt Anaconda, should be done this weekend! That would be my 3rd Snake gun, already got a King Cobra and Python.

No interventions yet....!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-17-2014, 12:06 AM

Well I want to get the restricted PAL and get a handgun. Maybe shoot competitively I don't know.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:18 AM

I have my restricted, but don't own any. The one time or so a year somebody convinces me to shell out $40 for a day pass at the Shooting Edge, I'll squeeze off a wheel of .357 magnum, but I don't really personally see the appeal. I'd adamantly oppose any attempt to take away the privilege of others to enjoy what they enjoy though.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:54 AM

Getting your restricted is worth the effort, join a pistol club first then send a copy of your memership card in with your application they don't tell you to do this but they will request proof of membership after slowing down the process.

During the winter I shoot at the indoor range keeps me busy shooting and reloading over the winter.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:27 AM

Yup, wheel gunner to the core, even competed a bit!
Owned a few semis but just can't like them.
Cat
Old 07-17-2014, 08:46 AM

I shoot IPSC and also enjoy big bore revolvers (would love an FA 83!). I really wish that we could handgun hunt here, even with specific geographic limitations etc. Unfortunately many debates I see are some evidence that even many experienced hunters need a bit more of an education on the topic i.e. comments like 'we dont need guys blasting at moose with their 9mm Glocks'. (We also dont need first season archers flinging 80yard arrows at deer, for example, but I digress).

As a side note, the Black Badge course offered by Dave Schoenberg at Phoenix is very good and definitely worthwhile.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:54 AM

Shooting pistols is an excellent way to learn good trigger control. They are a lot of fun.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 07-17-2014, 09:16 AM

I was I was able to shoot my handguns at a place other than a range.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:30 AM

If a tree falls and there's no one to hear it.....
Old 07-17-2014, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalhunter View Post
If a tree falls and there's no one to hear it.....
Why risk it?

Better to question why not, and do something about it then to risk all.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
How many people on here have their restricted PAL and shoot handguns? I understand it's quite hard to get, but when it comes to paper punching I think the handgun wins hands down in the enjoyment factor. I remember being in Poland for a time and getting to shoot a variety of handguns. Really good fun , especially the glock and colt 45.
DA
I own several and shoot all my guns (rifles and handguns) regularly. The handguns for fun, the rifles to keep my skill level at peak for hunting season. I prefer metal targets over paper for the handguns because they give you instant gratification.

As has been mentioned by others, take the training course and learn the laws regarding handgun ownership/storage/use.

Quote:
I agree. But the anti's feel safer knowing us law abiding gun owners can't take our handguns out and use them to plink gophers and such, like we do with our rifles. Shows how much they know. Rifles are more dangerous, and at much longer ranges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Had you been caught by the police you'd have been able to visit the inside of a jail and a courtroom and you'd have found out what it's like to never own firearms again.

Personally, I've never considered it worth the risk.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 07-17-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
"I was I was able to shoot my handguns at a place other than a range."

You might not get caught in the bush, but you could easily get caught on the drive to or from the bush. What happens if you get into an accident that disables your vehicle?

Hopefully, you've got one of those trapper or field worker permits.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
I own several and shoot all my guns (rifles and handguns) regularly. The handguns for fun, the rifles to keep my skill level at peak for hunting season. I prefer metal targets over paper for the handguns because they give you instant gratification.

As has been mentioned by others, take the training course and learn the laws regarding handgun ownership/storage/use.

I agree. But the anti's feel safer knowing us law abiding gun owners can't take our handguns out and use them to plink gophers and such, like we do with our rifles. Shows how much they know. Rifles are more dangerous, and at much longer ranges.

Had you been caught by the police you'd have been able to visit the inside of a jail and a courtroom and you'd have found out what it's like to never own firearms again.

Personally, I've never considered it worth the risk.
I was a member of the NRA in England and used to do a bit of long range shooting with my 308. I agree that any of the rifles I own are far more dangerous than a handgun.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
In England we are even restricted to where we use our rifles. We cannot just use them anywhere as the licence states what piece of ground it is to be used on. I used to just risk it and use my rimfire at various places, but if I had been caught I would have been in massive trouble.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I think everybody's missing that the first "was" is probably autocorrected from "wish".
Old 07-17-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteland.soldier View Post
I think everybody's missing that the first "was" is probably autocorrected from "wish".
Ooops, yes, should have been "wish".
Old 07-17-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
yup ...own handguns

should be able to shoot them on private property at the least .......... my 308 is way more dangerous than a handgun ...go figure
Yup! Handguns really aren't as effective at killing as long guns.... To the OP, I have had revolvers and semis, and shoot them whenever I get the chance.