Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2014, 10:16 PM

Default Electric chain saw oil

I have a little 14" electric Pro-Pulse chainsaw that I bought a while back. I don't have any manuals or anything and im not sure what type of oil to use.. the cap just says "Auto Oil".

Anyone know what type of oil should I be using?
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Banned

Go to Canadian Tire and ask for Bar oil for a chainsaw.

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/...ws/reviews.htm
Old 04-20-2014, 12:20 AM

There are also separate chainsaw bar oils for summer and winter, basically just different viscosities as the summer stuff wouldn't flow well enough in winter, and winter stuff would flow too well in summer. I have an electric chain saw for use around the house that works really well, it predates the chain brakes though.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
There are also separate chainsaw bar oils for summer and winter, basically just different viscosities as the summer stuff wouldn't flow well enough in winter, and winter stuff would flow too well in summer. I have an electric chain saw for use around the house that works really well, it predates the chain brakes though.
Predates the chain brakes? Sorry but I don't know what that means. Can you explain?
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
Go to Canadian Tire and ask for Bar oil for a chainsaw.

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/...ws/reviews.htm
Thank you!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:55 AM
Gone Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
Predates the chain brakes? Sorry but I don't know what that means. Can you explain?
Caber is referring to the anti- kickback bracket you see on all newer chainsaws. If your saw kicks back, your forearm hits this bracket and stops the chain from turning your arm, head and face into hamburger,lol.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:39 AM

Backpacker had that correct, where on my electric saw there is a forward hand guard, it is purely passive & inanimate. Any saw made these days has a chain brake that that is engaged if that forward hand guard lever is pushed forward, exactly how it would bump against your forearm if the saw was kicking back towards you.

Be sure to check out some chain sharpening videos on YouTube, there's a few tips there that are of benefit.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:46 AM

Cool thanks guys
Old 04-20-2014, 02:42 PM

just use cooking oil , it is just to keep the chain lubricated . Cooking oil is cheaper works great I've been using it for years.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:21 PM

Any bar oil should work. Have heard of new environmentally friendly cooking type oil. Might be worth a try
Old 04-21-2014, 12:12 AM

Not sure but I was told bar oil is just transmission fluid.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:53 AM

On my electric I just use recycled engine oil. Have for years, and seems to work fine.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkchaser View Post
Not sure but I was told bar oil is just transmission fluid.
Bar oil is a lot thicker than any transmission oil I've ever see- both are red however!
Cat
Old 04-21-2014, 08:03 AM

I use canola oil in the tree trimming and cutting I do. Works in the big and small saws and pole saws as well
Old 04-21-2014, 12:14 PM

Use heavy weight oil on the summer, and light oil in the winter.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Bar oil is a lot thicker than any transmission oil I've ever see- both are red however!
Cat
Could be standard tranny fluid, no? That stuff can get pretty thick sometimes.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:55 PM

It's not tranny fluid. Does not get that thick. Try using heavy weight chain oil at minus twenty and you would have better luck using molasses. You can use different oils if you have to, but you will be filing down your bar more often, and your chains will strech alot more than they should. Only my observation from growing up in a family of loggers and 12 years in the bush myself. Just a little knowen fact, bears love eating chain oil.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:09 PM

New one last year : I always save paper work (if all else fails, read the instructions).

Says: Use good quality chain oil. If not available, SAE 30 weight motor oil may substituted.

Don't forget, chain oil comes in winter & summer weight.