Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2014, 11:15 AM

Default Looking for river boat ideas

I've been tossing around the idea of buying a new or at least new to me river boat. I want something in the 14 - 16 foot range. It will mainly be used for fishing / hunting on the rivers around Fort McMurray and maybe a few trips down south to fish a couple lakes.

I've looked at small Jon boats with 20 - 30hp jet outboards. I want something that I can pull the motor off of for the winter and store in the garage. Then I can just put the boat in the back yard and not worry about it taking up space. I do worry that with the small jet outboards that it might be hard to carry enough fuel to get any kind of range out of it.

I've also looked at using a small Jon boat with a surface drive like a Mud Buddy. I've heard that they are dependable and very good on fuel. I'm just not sure if they would hold up to the abuse that running in skinny water may hold.

What are your guys thoughts on the idea of either one of these boats?
Old 04-18-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I've been tossing around the idea of buying a new or at least new to me river boat. I want something in the 14 - 16 foot range. It will mainly be used for fishing / hunting on the rivers around Fort McMurray and maybe a few trips down south to fish a couple lakes.

I've looked at small Jon boats with 20 - 30hp jet outboards. I want something that I can pull the motor off of for the winter and store in the garage. Then I can just put the boat in the back yard and not worry about it taking up space. I do worry that with the small jet outboards that it might be hard to carry enough fuel to get any kind of range out of it.

I've also looked at using a small Jon boat with a surface drive like a Mud Buddy. I've heard that they are dependable and very good on fuel. I'm just not sure if they would hold up to the abuse that running in skinny water may hold.

If I was going to do it over again for a fishing boat up here, it would be a mud motor and a jon for sure!
he areas i fish mostly do not warrant a big boat, and unless you want to run the cascades up to Whitemud every weekend, it is unnecessary to have a large boat.
My 18 lite is a great boat, but it suffers in the weeds as an inboard jet.
A far as 1 30 horse jet goes, you will be under powdered unless you have all the time in the world, and a mud motor is better in that respect.
Cat
Old 04-18-2014, 12:02 PM

Cat,

Do you think that a mud motor would be OK in skinny water? I haven't been up any of the rivers around here but have jet boated northern BC a bit. What would you buy if starting off new? Mud Buddy, Go Devil, Pro Drive, etc... and what size boat would you look at?

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:29 PM

I hear that Formula Motorsports here in town is a Mud Buddy dealer so I'll head by next chance I get and have a look at what they have.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I hear that Formula Motorsports here in town is a Mud Buddy dealer so I'll head by next chance I get and have a look at what they have.
Don can fix ya up, for sure!
Cat
Old 04-18-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Cat,

Do you think that a mud motor would be OK in skinny water? I haven't been up any of the rivers around here but have jet boated northern BC a bit. What would you buy if starting off new? Mud Buddy, Go Devil, Pro Drive, etc... and what size boat would you look at?

Thanks.
A lot of the skinny water up here is sandy so its not much of an issue, they will bounce over a mess of rocks as well.
Formula has a DVD disk they can give you for the Mud Buddy

Once the ice goes out, maybe we can hook up and I'll take you for a run.
Cat
Old 04-19-2014, 12:22 PM

Im interested in one for pretty much the same reasons, for duck hunting and occasional river fishing. My question is, is a surface drive or the longtail better? Which one gives you more power?
Old 04-20-2014, 11:37 AM

Default Surface Drive Mud Motor

Surface drive pro-drive with the pro-drive rock guard. Have experience with go-devil long tail, mud buddy 23 mini and 27 Pro drive. Pro-drive the best for rocky bottoms because of their rock guard.

Surface drives are faster, turn sharper and are easier to drive than a long tail. Pro-drive has a clutch and electric trim, is built heavier than Mud buddy. Although the Mud Buddy 23Mini is a good motor.

Was at explorer industries in Edmonton last week they have the new 27 kohler with efi and three blade prop on a 16X48 Jon. Same boat we have except for EFI and three blade.

Ours with 2 guys cruises at 38 kph downstream on NSR and 33-35 upstream. 90 to 100K on 25 liters of gas. Will bounce along and over rocks and sandbars. Can take off in 8 inches of water without touching bottom. Not sure how much water you need but have blasted over gravel bars with gravel sticking out no problem and gone over sand bars shallow enough that the motor was riding on the top of the sand, can feel it through the handle moving up and down, but we did not even slow down, , don't know how deep the water was. Will go good with three guys, have not tried with more.

Jets can probably handle shallower water for a longer period of time but use way more fuel, would love to try a side by side run with a outboard jet to see if their is much difference in the ability to go..

Lawn mower engines, can run them wide open all day long.

Have ran the Wabasca River, NSR from Drayton Valley to the Saskatchewan border, the Pembina from Sandgudo to the mouth then up the Athabasca to Vega ferry with mud boats. They are very affordable and capable boats for our rivers.

27hp is about as big as you want to go with a 16X48 jon. Explorer is supposed to be getting some 18 foot jons, with a 36HP Mud motor you would be able to carry a bigger load...

My thoughts on a good river boat, 18X60 or wider Jon with 36 Pro-Drive, rock guard and a Center Console.. Nicer for longer trips then a tiller. Would be able to take a bigger load then a 16X48.

I am a big mud boat fan.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:00 PM

How does a surface drive handle weeds? I've heard that the longtail is better in weedy conditions. I've been checking out a few online in the states that are used, pretty much impossible to find a reasonable priced one up here.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:45 PM

They are made for weeds and mud. The few I've been through it just goes through them. Hard to find a used one here...

They are pricey..

Lots of information on Mud Motors at mudmotortalk.com discussion forum.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:52 AM

Great information QIsley.

I think a trip to the local dealer to see what they have on hand is in order.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:

Hows this for running skinny water with a Mud Buddy!?!?

The one thing you'll have to get over if you get a Jon and a mud motor is it is not a race. They are slower but dependable and they will get you there. Every time I launch and the NSR I always have some "jet boat guys" come talk to me about my boat and the conversation always ends the same way:

"so what you are telling me is that your boat can go every where my jet boat can, but it can also go where ever my jet boat can't? Damn should of bought a mud boat"

I have had my mud boat since 2004 and aside from some miner problems (which were all fixed in my drive way with basic tools) my boat has always ran strong. Here is some more pics:

Old 04-22-2014, 08:16 AM

ALBTUFF,

I that the 23hp Mud Buddy?

If you were to buy another boat / motor package what would you change? I think I've pretty much talked myself into one I'm just trying to fine tune the package so that I only buy once.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:08 PM

ALBTUFF nice pictures!