Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-24-2014, 08:53 PM

Default NRA Rifle of the year 2014... The Tavor

In Canada the rifle is Non-Restricted with the price tag to match, now with its popularity how long before its a prohib??

Sales of Israeli bullpup in US market exceeded expectations by almost three-times

"When small arms manufacturer IWI decided to enter the US arms market with their 'Tavor assault rifle', they were hoping to sell 6,000 rifles during their first year of operations. The actual results have exceeded even the most optimistic projections: in nine months, not less than 15,000 Tavor rifles have been sold throughout the USA. At the same time as the commercial success, the Tavor rifle – in its first year in the USA – has been selected by the National Rifle Association (NRA) and American Rifleman Magazine for their Golden Bullseye Award as 2014 Rifle of the Year.

Does this award indicate that the Tavor AR is on the way to becoming a global blockbuster like the Uzi, which was a worldwide hit for decades?

"This tremendous success has taken even us by surprise," say Uri Amit, CEO of IWI, and Shlomi Sabag, deputy CEO and President of the US subsidiary, in an exclusive interview to IsraelDefense. "It is still too early to predict that the Tavor will be as successful as the Uzi, but the American public has really embraced it so enthusiastically."

According to Uri Amit, "We really intended to sell only 6,000 Tavor rifles in the USA in 2013. In reality, the number of rifles we sold was more than twice as high. The rifle was embraced with tremendous enthusiasm by the gun buffs and soon thereafter major articles began to appear in the American arms magazines."

Not just a blockbuster hit in the US

According to Uri Amit, the rifle is not just a hit in the USA.

"Generally, 90% of our sales are intended for export, and that applies to the entire range of firearms we manufacture. The IDF are introducing the Tavor rifle into more and more units, but most of our sales take place overseas."

According to foreign reports, IWI just signed a contract with the government of Vietnam, in the context of which a facility for manufacturing the Tavor rifle was erected on the soil of this Asian country. "The market we aim the sales of this rifle at is not only the military market – we also target tactical intervention units. The shortened version of the rifle, designated 'Micro Tavor' has also been a major success story for us."[...]

Shlomi Sabag says further that one of the indicators of the success of the Tavor rifle in the USA is the fact that "An aftermarket of products associated with the Tavor rifle, like improved triggers, has evolved very quickly."

Uri Amit reveals: "We intend to start marketing 2-3 additional products in the US market in the coming year, and hope they turn out to be just as successful." For the time being, he has not provided any more details about those products.

Few more vids..
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e2e_1379908020
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f49_1381983007
Old 03-24-2014, 10:29 PM

The big reason for all the sales, yanks could not import tavors, so they've been drooling over them for a few years looking north, for once, with envy. Now that it's being produced in house for less $$$, everyone has to have one.
I'd own one if the cost was less, and the crap trigger corrected from factory.

How long before the Tavor becomes prohibited? the next time libs get power, or the RCMP decide it looks too scary, causing to many still born children in Quebec.

Last edited by sikwhiskey; 03-24-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:57 AM

Love to have on, but by the time I can afford it, I am sure it will be prohibited
Old 03-25-2014, 01:31 PM
Banned

We should hold a lottery for the day it will be prohibited.

They have one a WSS Edmonton south.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:15 PM

Gah! It looks like a nerf gun.
Maybe someone will make an orange stock for it to complete the package.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:56 PM
Banned

Anyway can we rename the Tavor to Cukier?

Some of you will see the humor in the above statement.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:58 PM

I was considering a tavor about a year ago and then I thought that being left handed I didn't want to have the brass flying that close to the end of my big nose and sniffing burnt powder whenever I shot it.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:21 PM

They can be switched to left handed.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:53 AM

Picked up my Tavor a couple months ago and still love it. Through on an Eotech 512 and 3X magnifier. Its an assault rifle for sure, not a long range rifle.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:47 AM

Yes I can see that Joe Public will view this as an assault rifle and demand it be restricted. Their argument will be, why do hunters need to assault animals for. Assault rifle, in military terms is for assaulting the enemy.

Like Greylynx says we should have a lottery as to when they are labelled restricted.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Boy View Post
Yes I can see that Joe Public will view this as an assault rifle and demand it be restricted. Their argument will be, why do hunters need to assault animals for. Assault rifle, in military terms is for assaulting the enemy.

Like Greylynx says we should have a lottery as to when they are labelled restricted.
It's a Bull Pup as well, so has another strike against it. To non traditional for me.

Grizz
Old 07-19-2014, 12:32 PM

Not a surprise considering the huge marketing IWI put on this rifle.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:09 PM

All one has to do is post say a Remington 700 and a picture of this gun, go around and ask the public which gun looks more sinister.
Public perception will kill this gun and label it dangerous looking. Maybe not the Rem 700, or at least not as much.