Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-18-2014, 11:22 PM

Default Scout SKS scope mount

Anyone else have any experience with the Scout SKS scope mount? I just got mine in yesterday, installed it today . Seemed to bolt up nice and solid, the hardest part was removing the little pin from the old rear sight.

Looks a little goofy with the big red dot sight on it, but I just got a little tired of the original sights
Old 07-19-2014, 07:30 AM

Smile Good post

I have a sight on my sks too, but the problem I'm having is that my eye no longer lines up with the sight.

What are you using for a cheek piece? Any advice.

If this is a "highjack" of your post I apologize, I'm just desperate for an answer.

You have done a very nice job.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:56 AM

I have the scout mount on my sks and it's a good solid mount. You are limited for optics though, I had a red-dot like you have and found I couldn't use stripper clips for loading and without the shell deflector add-on the spent casings hit the glass. I found a nice reflex sight that works well that still allows the use of stripper clips, small enough it doesn't get hit by ejecting shells and the gas tube can be removed for cleaning. The red dots and reflex sights are fun though!
Old 07-19-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I have a sight on my sks too, but the problem I'm having is that my eye no longer lines up with the sight.

What are you using for a cheek piece? Any advice.

If this is a "highjack" of your post I apologize, I'm just desperate for an answer.

You have done a very nice job.
Not a hijack, it's relevant, lol. Stock is still original, I figure I'm just going to have to get used to it. The red dot is a little more forgiving though, you don't have to be pisitioned aabsolutely perfectly, so I figure that will help. Sorry I don't have the answer you're looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attilathecanuk View Post
I have the scout mount on my sks and it's a good solid mount. You are limited for optics though, I had a red-dot like you have and found I couldn't use stripper clips for loading and without the shell deflector add-on the spent casings hit the glass. I found a nice reflex sight that works well that still allows the use of stripper clips, small enough it doesn't get hit by ejecting shells and the gas tube can be removed for cleaning. The red dots and reflex sights are fun though!
I was able to position the sight just far enough forward that I can still use stripper clips (It's forward of where it was in this picture. Heh I went and tried it after you mentioned it, and moved it). The casings hitting the glass is one thing I'm concerned about, I guess I'll find out when I shoot it.

Did you modify the mount itself so that you don't have to remove the upper part to be able to take the gas tube off (I.e. cut the front of it off for clearance)? I thought about getting a smaller optic and doing this, so that nothing would have to be removed to clean the gas tube. It seems like this mount would re-zero reasonably well, but not as well as never moving it in the first place