Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-13-2014, 10:31 PM

Default M1Garand /30-06 for a bear/defense gun.....

So got my garand finally up and running and since my sxs 45-70 baikail cant be fixed apparently (bowed barrell - 9"poi vertical/elavation @60 yards ) i was wondering what would be the best handload to tailor for an m1 garand ....... keep in mind its not the same as loading a bolt gun ........ 150s are the main diet for these and i guess you can go up to 168s ,but shouldnt go further unless you single load it........ am gonna see which size it prefers with target and fmj bullets but for an bear stopper/just in case/or if im on a boat and attacked by Jaws- bullet in that range of size who do i wanna go with ????? a nosler partition or one of the barnes .............or something deadlier

thanks ......

not really my expertise

oh yeah and a sxs baikal is up for sale as well( still has potential , but just isses me off)...... or seeking ideas of who can fix it ? bashaw sent it away for oh....2 years i think and no go..........ARGGGGGG!!!!!
Old 07-13-2014, 10:57 PM
Banned

Lots of guys hunt bear with 30-06.
Load it with what it likes.
150 is good enough.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:57 PM

I worked up loads for a shooting buddy many years ago for an old Garand. Found IMR 4895 to be the best powder for reliable cycling, and it shot 175/180's just fine. Don't know why it wouldn't handle even heavier bullets, but I am by no means a Garand expert.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
I worked up loads for a shooting buddy many years ago for an old Garand. Found IMR 4895 to be the best powder for reliable cycling, and it shot 175/180's just fine. Don't know why it wouldn't handle even heavier bullets, but I am by no means a Garand expert.
yeah i use imr 4895 for the scoped m14/M1A with 150gr fmjs as well ....... 43 gr /308 win.... .8 " groups if i do my part....most of the time

when i bought my M1a couple years ago ...which is based off the garand and simplified / 20 round magazine- the guy selling it to me said dont go past 168s ......various websites / gun sites state its because it was designed for the 145-150 gr military rounds at the time ....will damage the op rod/guts etc etc , maybe not apparent at first ,but ........ thats the theory anyhow

yep copy that moosejuice ....early indications says it likes 150 gr , but exactly ill figure out what it likes ,have 150 fmj,168 amax and 168 fmj handloads ready for it

pretty funny ...the clip lands on your head softly when the last round is out (2/3 times anyhow so far), and with the final ping sound sounds similiar to when you smack steel with it ....but the steel is not reacting if you miss and your like WTF? haha
Old 07-14-2014, 07:41 AM

Let's see now, 4 ft. long clumsy 9 lb. rifle in heavy bush ? I don't think so.

Grizz
Old 07-14-2014, 07:46 AM

Meh. Didn't seem too heavy. Think the m14 is heavier. Esp with optics. It's actually shorter too than the m14. Longer barrell but no suppressor. So not the worst choice.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:40 AM

I thought the barrels on those bakail side by sides were able to be regulated by the owner?
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 07-14-2014, 09:55 AM

Yup. The wind age adjustment works great. It's the elevation that's the problem. Can adjust the front sight to match whichever barrell with mine. But then it's 9" difference from there at 60 yards. One barrell is bowed slightly.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
So got my garand finally up and running and since my sxs 45-70 baikail cant be fixed apparently (bowed barrell - 9"poi vertical/elavation @60 yards ) i was wondering what would be the best handload to tailor for an m1 garand ....... keep in mind its not the same as loading a bolt gun ........ 150s are the main diet for these and i guess you can go up to 168s ,but shouldnt go further unless you single load it........ am gonna see which size it prefers with target and fmj bullets but for an bear stopper/just in case/or if im on a boat and attacked by Jaws- bullet in that range of size who do i wanna go with ????? a nosler partition or one of the barnes .............or something deadlier

thanks ......

not really my expertise

oh yeah and a sxs baikal is up for sale as well( still has potential , but just isses me off)...... or seeking ideas of who can fix it ? bashaw sent it away for oh....2 years i think and no go..........ARGGGGGG!!!!!

I'm glad you are happy with the Garand,the 150 will perform well in the M1, IMR 4895 is the preferred powder. I have a bunch of original Springfield Enblocs if you need some, John
Old 07-14-2014, 05:57 PM

Garand has a great cool factor too.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Let's see now, 4 ft. long clumsy 9 lb. rifle in heavy bush ? I don't think so.

Grizz
My first thought was Heavy
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.