Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2014, 10:21 PM

Default Carpentry Apprencitceship w/previous experience?

So right when I got out of high school I spent close to 7 years working full time in home renovations/carpentry in Manitoba. I've spent the last 4 years here in Alberta working a different vocation, but am soon likely returning to carpentry (here in Alberta).

I never did any apprenticeship training during those 7 years (which I regret), as I had never planned to stay in the job that long. Anyways, now that I'm likely continuing carpentry, I'm seriously considering getting my Journeyman Certificate.

I've been reading about the "Prior Learning Assessment Application". Has anyone else gone down this route? How does this work? Do I still go through all 4 years of apprenticeship training, or can I jump ahead to whatever level of experience I'm qualified for?

In addition, do you have any suggestions as to resources to brush up on my knowledge of the carpentry trade?
Old 04-19-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless_84 View Post
So right when I got out of high school I spent close to 7 years working full time in home renovations/carpentry in Manitoba. I've spent the last 4 years here in Alberta working a different vocation, but am soon likely returning to carpentry (here in Alberta).

I never did any apprenticeship training during those 7 years (which I regret), as I had never planned to stay in the job that long. Anyways, now that I'm likely continuing carpentry, I'm seriously considering getting my Journeyman Certificate.

I've been reading about the "Prior Learning Assessment Application". Has anyone else gone down this route? How does this work? Do I still go through all 4 years of apprenticeship training, or can I jump ahead to whatever level of experience I'm qualified for?

In addition, do you have any suggestions as to resources to brush up on my knowledge of the carpentry trade?
I believe you may be able to challenge the exams and it will come down to what you know as far as the theory portion goes. You may be in fact the next best thing working on the tools but it's the theory portion that gets you you're ticket.
I would suggest calling your local trade school and chatting with a guidance councilor regarding you're current situation. I'm sure they'd be best at leading you in the right direction.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:53 AM

Call the apprenticeship program and they will let you know how all that goes. I strongly encourage you to get your ticket. I think what they do is: You provide background signed affidavit's from your previous employers for the amount of time you have put in. The school is 6 weeks for each year so you will have to do some I bet.

What type of carpentry are you getting into.

Dog_River
Old 04-20-2014, 08:55 AM

It is 8 weeks each for 4 years. My guess you wll need to take 3rd and 4th year. For myself and the carpenters that I had apprenticed 3rd year was the toughest. The first year was basicly hand tools and foundation. Second year was all phases of framing and maybe some int and ext finishing. 3rd year was a lot of concrete. 4th seems to me was mostly a recap of all the years. It has been far too many years for me to remember all the details.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
It is 8 weeks each for 4 years. My guess you wll need to take 3rd and 4th year. For myself and the carpenters that I had apprenticed 3rd year was the toughest. The first year was basicly hand tools and foundation. Second year was all phases of framing and maybe some int and ext finishing. 3rd year was a lot of concrete. 4th seems to me was mostly a recap of all the years. It has been far too many years for me to remember all the details.
School in BC is 6 weeks per year. My nephew is going for his 2nd year in Aug.

Dog_River
Old 04-21-2014, 10:59 AM

Thanks guys!
Old 04-21-2014, 03:54 PM

What type of carpentry work were you doing? If you plan on challenging the exams I would suggest getting your hands on the class room modules so you can read up on the theory portions, as well as the trade math. Aside from passing the tests you also have to pass a timed shop project and I believe you will have to draw a timed blue print for each year. First year shop used to be a tool box(as of 5 yrs ago) I'm not sure what you would build for second year as the majority of the shop portion is a participation mark on a class project of building a shed. Third year is a oak entry table with concrete top and forth year is a computer desk. I know a couple of the carpentry instructors pretty well and they've told me it's much harder to pass the challenge shop projects as you get zero guidance from an instructor as you are there to prove knowledge and not learn. As far as the subject matter for the testing first year is lots of tooling, some parts of the tree and where lumber comes from, floor framing and some foundations. Second year is mostly framing with a larger emphasis on roof framing, you get a roof blue print and have to label the names of the different rafters. The third year test is lots of concrete and commercial formwork, you will need to know some of the larger wall forming systems and slab forming systems. Forth year is a combination of all 3 years with some spiral stairs and some more roof framing thrown in. You will also need to be experienced in blueprint reading, other than the second year test all the blueprints used are out of commercial building blueprint sets. The redseal test is almost 75% building code and code reading. I'm not telling you this to try and make it seem impossible, I just wanted to forewarn you about trying to challenge the tests, I was in a similar position working 3 years as a first year and wishing I could have kind of jumped up the line a little. I would suggest instead of trying to challenge the system you may very well find it more educational to go to one of the smaller trade schools like red deer college or valleyview and do a couple years back to back as there is less enrolment in these schools. That way you receive the training and will be more likely to pass.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:25 PM

I was working in residential renovation carpentry - doing a lot of everything and anything.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:54 PM

I've been a carpenter for20 yrs worst trade to get into hardest worked lowest paid
Old 04-21-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator View Post
I've been a carpenter for20 yrs worst trade to get into hardest worked lowest paid
That seems to be the case unfortunately. I'm a journeyman plumber and I'm making $7/hr more than my buddy whose a journeyman carpenter and he works waaayyy harder than I do haha.