Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-29-2016, 10:50 PM

I use a 1/8 cable as well. I have them wrapped up in my box with quick clips ( snapping caribeaners) on either ends. Then around a tree or stump. Even a rebar steak. Then attach the other end to the trap spring and your trap goes nowhere. I have some long cables to reach from the shore line abut 30yards so I can hook to a tree. Nothing worse than loosing a 40$ trap over a 4$ beaver.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:04 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
I use a 1/8 cable as well. I have them wrapped up in my box with quick clips ( snapping caribeaners) on either ends. Then around a tree or stump. Even a rebar steak. Then attach the other end to the trap spring and your trap goes nowhere. I have some long cables to reach from the shore line abut 30yards so I can hook to a tree. Nothing worse than loosing a 40$ trap over a 4$ beaver.
That sounds like a great idea. One thing I never solved, never really worked on solving was my cables get a bit tangled at times.
Your way would solve that for sure, and make replacement should they get too badly kinked, really easy.

I like your way a lot.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-30-2016, 07:22 AM

Well I just tie them off the same as you but I use a quick clip instead of trying to loop the cable around a tree and pulling it all the way through. I use the same quick clip on my yote snares. Only issue is the cost. About $3.50 in the store approx. My bro works at a large shop and they get a huge discount through some suppliers. I have over 200 of the quick clips some are rated for 280lbs and 340lbs approx.
I like them cause I am a lot faster.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
Well I just tie them off the same as you but I use a quick clip instead of trying to loop the cable around a tree and pulling it all the way through. I use the same quick clip on my yote snares. Only issue is the cost. About $3.50 in the store approx. My bro works at a large shop and they get a huge discount through some suppliers. I have over 200 of the quick clips some are rated for 280lbs and 340lbs approx.
I like them cause I am a lot faster.
I use the clasps from backpacking, forget what they are called. about $1.25/pc at home depot. They are slick, don't freeze, aluminium, very fast to use, and would hold me, so not worried about a fur animal.

Spruce
Old 03-30-2016, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
I use the clasps from backpacking, forget what they are called. about $1.25/pc at home depot. They are slick, don't freeze, aluminium, very fast to use, and would hold me, so not worried about a fur animal.

Spruce
Carabiner?
Old 03-30-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Carabiner?
Yah that's it, minus the safety the actual climbing ones have, and a lot smaller. None left on southside, they are all in my shed

Spruce
Old 03-31-2016, 10:50 AM

I use these on all my snare ext or anything I need to tie off. I have them so I can clip them onto my snaresteaks
Old 12-21-2019, 10:08 PM

Very interesting thread, a lot of good information. I was out setting beaver traps today and thought has anyone ever used there underwater fish camera around a beaver house to find runs or lodge entrances?
Old 12-21-2019, 11:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssteward View Post
Very interesting thread, a lot of good information. I was out setting beaver traps today and thought has anyone ever used there underwater fish camera around a beaver house to find runs or lodge entrances?
This thread was epic! Too bad that a lot of the pictures have disappeared.

A little late now but before the water freezes over put a stick in the lodge with flagging where the entrance is. If it does freeze over you can see the runs from the air bubbles in the ice. If I go to a lodge that I don’t know where the entrance is I find it by sticking the tip of my chainsaw through the ice to find where the ice is thinner than either side of the run. Once you find it and cut a hole you can see the channel on the underside of the blocks of ice. Once you find the run you put a 330 or two side by side down there on a stabilizer. That might work better for you than drilling/cutting holes everywhere to find the entrance.