Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-08-2013, 03:55 PM

Default Halfords fur drop off

Can anyone tell me what the cutoff date is to drop fur off at halford a for the next auction?

Thanks
Mark
Old 03-08-2013, 03:59 PM

April 8 acording to the NAFA website.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:09 PM

I find it odd that the date is April 8th yet the season is not over till April 30th in my area for a couple critters.

What do a lot of you guys do with your fur that you don't get to the auction on time?
I have a bunch of skinned out rats that I caught and will most likely just freeze them and put them up for sale next year. Is this what a lot of you do?

What's the best way to do it. Skin and stretch and then freezer or just skin and put in the freezer to be fleshed and stretched next year?
Old 03-09-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I find it odd that the date is April 8th yet the season is not over till April 30th in my area for a couple critters.

What do a lot of you guys do with your fur that you don't get to the auction on time?
I have a bunch of skinned out rats that I caught and will most likely just freeze them and put them up for sale next year. Is this what a lot of you do?

What's the best way to do it. Skin and stretch and then freezer or just skin and put in the freezer to be fleshed and stretched next year?
When I hold fur over it is stretched and then put into freezer. Eliminates worrying about freezer burn.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerntrapper View Post
When I hold fur over it is stretched and then put into freezer. Eliminates worrying about freezer burn.
Thanks Northern. I think you have a good way of doing it. I think I will pull my rats out and do them up in the next month or 2 here and then back in the freezer. With critters like Beaver can you roll up the hide after it is dried or is that a no no?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Thanks Northern. I think you have a good way of doing it. I think I will pull my rats out and do them up in the next month or 2 here and then back in the freezer. With critters like Beaver can you roll up the hide after it is dried or is that a no no?
I've been told that hides need to be in airtight bags to prevent freezer burn , Any truth to that ?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:50 AM

some people say that your better off just sending it too the auction. they have special air controlled areas specific for storing fur. you can specify the "sale" that you would like it to be in.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:24 AM

That would be nice if they stored it for you in a proper way but if they don't and it gets wrecked then you are out a few bucks and a pile of work