Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-30-2009, 09:45 PM

Default Ecallers do work.

Had a fellow from down Stateside bugging me to try out his new Ecaller. Something he put together himself[or with help from others for all I know] and he asked me [of all people] to do a few stands with it and put up a review of what I thought. I don't like electronics in anyway for my outdoor pleasures but he kept nagging and even sent one up with a little whirly gig type decoy. So just in case I ever need this fellow[s] I took it out today and tried it.
First stand I played the caller and two coyotes came in out in front of me 75 yds. They had followed a slough bank around and just popped up. I shot the bigger one and the other ran 3 steps[kinda] and disappeared.

Edge they came in and disappeared at.

Where I was set up [edge of bush]

I then went 4 miles west and set up looking here.

After I got set up and decoy in place I was looking off to the right while the caller ran and didn't even see the coyote that came in to 50yds until I turned my head, there he was in 8 secs. We had a short staring contest and then he laid down. I didn't wnat to leave after 15 seconds so I played the call again and then waited for 4 minutes. Another coyote came out of the bush and trotted right to the first one and he layed down too. I called and waited some more and one more coyote came out but 300 yds down and trotted right behind a short rise allowing it to get down wind of me and I never saw it again.

What I saw from a standing position at this stand.

Then closer up. Third coyote came out at that point of bush over the coyotes.

That's how they landed.

Looking back at where I was set up with the truck for a reference.

I then thought about going home but thought I better try one more for a solid review. I played the call at the new stand and these guys came out of the bush.

Came right up to within 35yds.

They went back to the bottom and I caught a glimpse of movement down at the bush to the left of them. It was a coyote that came out and layed down but just stayed there watching the deer and waiting. I ain't a good waiter so I touched off a shot at about 240 yds.

So for the review this caller brought in six coyotes[that I saw] on three stands so I guess it works. I think I could have done it with any of my hand calls but I didn't so I hope this makes the fellow who put the caller together happy. I have boxed up the caller and decoy to send back as I don't need them now.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:53 PM

Send it my way.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-30-2009, 09:54 PM

Would you say it was a benefit over a good old fashioned mouth powered call?

Looks like you had a fun little trip.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:55 PM

some nice pelts on those yotes! good stuff and good shooting!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfespirit View Post

NO!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:15 PM

I better borrow the call for the weekend, just to make sure it really works.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:01 PM

Got permission to show the call.

Time to come clean or as Paul Harvey would have said "and here's the rest of the story".

Some of you know I dislike the use of electronics in my outdoor pursuits so I won't use an electronic caller.
Some of you know I dislike the use of electronics in my outdoor pursuits so I won't use an electronic caller[shame on you for thinking I would go against what I believe in] to hunt anything
One of the guys did build me an Ecaller and a decoy so that part of the story is true and I don't like lieing much anyway[story telling is another thing entirely].

Pic of the decoy.

Pic of the Ecaller

They were the things I used to bring the coyotes in and here's a pic(s) of a couple coyotes with the caller on them.

I'm terribly sorry for any confusion but

I believe you can get these callers in A,B,C..... you get the picture.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:20 PM

That's funny. Good post.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfespirit View Post

I used to hunt with a couple of VERY GOOD callers years ago, and was told by both that the actual recorded sounds on the electronic call cannot be beat.
These guys used to be able to bring them in from a long ways with mouth calls.
I myself am no slouch with a mouth call, and being able to call them with a mouth call is half the fun for me, however....
Cat
Old 11-02-2009, 09:13 AM

We can use e-callers in AB to call in coyotes now!?! When did this change?! I like it.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:36 PM
dubbya

Its legal as of this fall.

I have used foxpro's and the power dogg.

I much prefer the mouth call. Way easier to control, volume wise and sound wise.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Banned

I have a power dogg, Used it once didn't bring in anything but crows haha Did try it for very long and wasn't very serious about shooting preds. And I don't think there were any yotes in the area anyways.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:09 PM

Old 12-06-2009, 05:37 PM

Congrats on the coyotes.Mule does will quite often come into a fawn in distress call and in most cases will practically run you over.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
Got permission to show the call.

Time to come clean or as Paul Harvey would have said "and here's the rest of the story".

Some of you know I dislike the use of electronics in my outdoor pursuits so I won't use an electronic caller.
Some of you know I dislike the use of electronics in my outdoor pursuits so I won't use an electronic caller[shame on you for thinking I would go against what I believe in] to hunt anything
One of the guys did build me an Ecaller and a decoy so that part of the story is true and I don't like lieing much anyway[story telling is another thing entirely].

Pic of the decoy.

Pic of the Ecaller

They were the things I used to bring the coyotes in and here's a pic(s) of a couple coyotes with the caller on them.

I'm terribly sorry for any confusion but

I believe you can get these callers in A,B,C..... you get the picture.
!!?? Guess I was lured right in by this thread!!

Dang, good calling there.....
Cat