Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-02-2020, 07:17 PM

Default Fly fishing set up

Hey! Just looking for any advice on a fly fishing set up for a newbie? Any advice would help. Brands,rods lengths and such ?
Old 07-02-2020, 07:42 PM

If your budget is tight, a 9’ 6wt Fenwick Aetos rod with a Redington Behemoth reel and decent line.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolete View Post
If your budget is tight, a 9’ 6wt Fenwick Aetos rod with a Redington Behemoth reel and decent line.
That Behemoth is a nice reel and one of my favorites as you can tell and it is not cheap. I would look for a combo at Cabelas to save a few bucks. A good fly line alone is costly and the package will come with rod reel and line.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:18 PM

I was in Bass Pro Calgary today. But buddy at the counter was not very helpful. So i ended up walking out with nothing. But i will look up what you guys mentioned
Old 07-02-2020, 08:45 PM

If you are looking to get help from an employee at the store, your best bet is to hit up one of the many reputable fly shops in Calgary. They will help you get the best set up for your budget and will have some good advice. Sadly, the big box stores don’t always have someone on shift that knows anything relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatzke222 View Post
I was in Bass Pro Calgary today. But buddy at the counter was not very helpful. So i ended up walking out with nothing. But i will look up what you guys mentioned
Old 07-02-2020, 09:25 PM

Default Reel

I have a Redington rise 5/6 brand new in the box I could let you have for 150.00 Its a step up from the Behemoth at the same price or less I think the Behemoths go for 159.99
Old 07-03-2020, 06:29 AM

Go with. An 8 weight 9ft.
Make sure the reel balances out the rod.
Most 8 wt have them but make sure it has a fighting butt.
SA Titan taper is a good line but you always see used lines for sale you could try out.
Couldn’t tell you a thing about this brand or that brand, I have a life time of fly rods and haven’t bought new in 10 years.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:18 AM

I would recommend TFO rods if you live in Calgary. Replacements are pretty cheap and available if you break a tip. 5/6 wt rods combined with a white river hobb creek (bps/cabela) reel is good enough. Grab yourself a Rio floating fly line and you’re pretty much good to go.

For pike/bass/musky, etc: same setup except in 7/8wt and a dedicated pike line like RIO intermediate/floating musky fly line. It will help you chuck large flies in certain wind conditions.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatzke222 View Post
As others pointed out. Go to a reputable fly shop in Calgary. You will not be sorry. Ignore the sizing discussions on this thread. Get what will work for you. Good luck!
Old 07-03-2020, 09:39 AM

What species and size of fish will you be fishing for?
Old 07-03-2020, 10:56 AM

I bought my daughter a Cabela's combo. Fenwick graphite rod, fast action, nice little reel all spooled out, case. Beautiful 8 foot 4WT. On sale for $129.99. She's castong 40 feet with it already and we've only been out twice.

BW.